Las Terrenas

Hello Expats.

I've lived in the DR for two years this September.  I've lived in Santo Domingo (Zona Colonial) 6 months and the rest in Jarabacoa.  I'm VERY ready to move again and would like to move Las Terrenas. 

I had a Canadian acquaintance     that claimed to own a restaurant (Lazy Dougs) there and he tells me that not to expect any type of “warm welcome” from fellow expats—that Expats there are extremely “clicky.”

Not in  Las Terrenas, but I have experienced the cold shoulder from expats in the past in other places—it always surprises me.

Can you all please tell me what the secret handshake is over there, if there is one?

Thanks. I would really appreciate it.

French word - 'clique'.....

Lots of LT people here who might be able to help

I am Canadian and have a home in Las Terrenas.  The population is a mix of Dominicans, French, Germans, Italians, Spanish & Canadians.  Currently there is a major influx of Americans.  In June they represented over 70% of the tourists.  Due to the covid, they are purchasing many homes.  I have not experience any cliquish or racial problems.  Good luck.

I've heard about cliques among the French expats, but not the other nationalities. We've been visiting LT for over 4 years and living here full time for just over a year. I've not noticed any issues and have found most expats here to be very welcoming and willing to answer questions or help newcomers.

We bought the land we're building our home on from a couple who decided to leave LT because the French wife didn't like the French expats in town - or so the story goes!

Come visit, spend a few weeks and see how you like it!

thanks
we will def will next Jan when my wife and I will move to DR.
my wife is dominican from santo domingo and has been in the states for 7 years so we are famikiar witb the island bit it would be nice to have expats friends to hang with and do expat things

thanks

God bless

Congratulations.   Hope we can all hang out

Thanks.

I should be in LT this Thursday to scout it out for a few days.  If any of you can recommend a decent/affordable place to stay for a few days I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

If it's a few days, just Airbnb is best. I'll be happy to show you around or answer any questions. Send a message and I'll give my WhatsApp

We bought the land we're building our home on from a couple who decided to leave LT because the French wife didn't like the French expats in town - or so the story goes!

- @ddmcghee

If you don't mind, what is the buidling costs.

- @ddmcghee

If you don't mind, what is the buidling costs.
- @ctbrians

Depends on what you are building, who is building it, and when you are building it. Seriously, that's an impossible question.

To add on to my husband's answer above, it's impossible to give a blanket cost estimate. You might be able to get a “per square meter” cost estimate for the structure (gray work), but even that will vary depending on where you are building it (lomas, flat lands, marshy areas) and whether you have multiple floors.

The you have the quality component - the quality of the builder's labor and the materials they use. Then you have to know the level of finish involved, and the types of materials. Travertine floors will be much more than coralina, for example. If you want drywall over the concrete walls, that adds up quickly! We have sourced our own kitchen (cabinets and appliances), faucets, showers, sinks, bathroom accessories (towel bars and such), bathroom mirrors, lights, fans, dimmer switches, and more!