Open water swimming in khobar/dammam

Where's the best places to swim in the sea, early morning when there's no one around ? I don't mean swim, like a leisurely splash around, but a head down, bum up  2-3km open water swim....

You definitely cant swim in halfmoon, You might get stung by the jelly fish there.. there is a high probability!

well I think an early morning dip in the sea, you migh have to go to jubail perhaps (?). I dont see it happening int he corniche in Khobar or Dammam, both have no swimming signs everywhere.

I saw the signs for no swimming there, why's that ? Doesn't look like the sort of place for rip currents.

I am not sure about the reason why there is a no swimming policy, could be jellyfish, sudden drop in the the depth. Or No particular reason, this is Saudi Arabia still.. :P
jk.

Hello,

I am going to move to Dammam in a couple of months and I am a swimmer. I'd like to know if it is any place to work out properly (swimming-pools, compounds, sea). I'm swim-maniac...

Thank you so much.

The main reason why they have a “No Swimming “signs at the Cornich is due to heavy traffic of people using the cornich wwhile most of them don't know how to swim . I remember reading a study sometime ago saying that 90% of jeddah citizens  don't know how to swim at ALL!!.. so just for safty reasons and to save them the Headache, they ban swimming there.

Hi All, I see these are old post, i've moved to Riyadh from Brighton and am missing the sea. Are there any sea swimming/ Tri groups? Am keen to get my feet wet for long swims. Up for taking an early doors road trip to Dammam or Umluj.
Hello Paul,

Welcome to expat.com!

This is indeed an old discussion and you might not get the responses that you need.

For this reason, I invite you to create a new discussion on the Saudi Arabia forum.

You may also create an advert on Saudi Arabia classifieds. There is a dedicated category for sports partners.

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team

[DISCUSSION CLOSED]
Closed