GringoVisas

Anyone having experience with the above captioned company based in the US (CT) and Cuenca, good or bad, please feel free to comment.  Do you think the price (around $1500 altogether) is worth it to avoid the unintended hassles?

Thanks

We had a positive experience with Maite and her staff. Proficient, professional and courteous. They did a turnkey investor visa process for us. The price they quoted is comparable to what each of us paid. The CT office handled acquiring the US docs required, since we came here to Cuenca with none of the required paperwork.

Dear Seoul Guy,

I used to recommend that visa applicants employ a servicio sofisticado such as you are considering .. or an experienced immigration attorney

I used an attorney myself, Sebastian Cordero of Quito, in obtaining a lifetime visa in 2014 based on the investment I had made in buying a Quito condo.  I paid the attorney $700, a price that was discounted due to subscribing to a Gary A. Scott service.

However, I make an exception here and suggest that you do it yourself unless you have money to burn or didn't know to obtain apostille(s) or other document(s) that may be hard to acquire from your current location....

Why I recommend a do-it-yourself visa in Seoul Guy's case....

1.  The price has apparently doubled or close to it since I applied, although part of Maite's fee may include government fees.

2.  Cuenca is the one place in Ecuador where, anecdotally, there are sufficient English-speaking staff in the inmigración office and they have plenty of experience in assisting Expats.

A reasonably intelligent Expat whose visa application is not overly complicated has a good shot at a do-it-yourself visa.

----

This post should not be taken as disparaging the work of Maite Duran or her staff, which I have not used.

cccmedia in Quito

Rexriver wrote:

We had a positive experience with Maite and her staff. Proficient, professional and courteous. They did a turnkey investor visa process for us.

Newly arriving Expats have a lot on their plate to get started in Ecuador.  Lifting the burden of the visa application off one's shoulders may be worth the going price.

I see that another company, Ecuador Visas, is charging $1,700 for the primary-visa applicant and $1,500 for a spouse or adult dependent... half that (each) for under-18 dependents.

cccmedia

I think the price reflects the demand. It seems based on my casual observation, that demand for visa services are increasing as more people are considering Ecuador as a living destination.

I am using GringoVisas to process mine as we speak (marriage visa). I paid $1650, & the price covers apostilles. Is it worth it? If you are like me the peace of mind of having a professional process the request feels good. But do-it-yourself is significantly cheaper IIRC.

Damon.

I also want to add that I used a lawyer as well for when I got married, & I definitely got gringo'd. Not saying that GringoVisas gringo'd me either, but since it came recomended via Amelia & JP's Youtube channel, I felt better about it. But caveat emptor when employing lawyers in Ecuador, it seems.

Damon.

I had some questionable experience and switched to attorney Josephguznay@gmail.com  in Quito. He charges $500. That is his fee. The other fees are for the government which you pay regardless.  I am using him again currently for my permanent visa. I went to Quito and spent 2 nights. Got the visa first day and my cedula the next. He said sometimes,  both may be accomplished in one day. He speaks perfect english.

First, I'm mightly appreciative of the comments thus far. As I begin my exploration, I'm not thrilled by the prices at Supermaxi (seem right up there with Honolulu) or the center-right new government (Peru just dodged a bullet), both of which, among many others, are factors in my decision-making.

I don't think this is top secret, as it is contained in a reply to my GV inquiry:

"Documents needed:

The client will need to provide an FBI background check, a State police report, and a verification letter proving a guaranteed pension.
The FBI background police report fee is $53.95, and the State police report charges between $20-$50, depending upon each state. These fees are paid directly by the client with a credit card, check or money order.
In the United States, our office in Connecticut charges $140 per apostilled document, plus a one-time courier fee of $70. If the client wishes to apostille their own documents, we can provide the necessary forms and instructions."

Peru and Colombia both require apostille of SSA benefit. I don't see it here. I know for a fact that the FBI fee is $18.00, and that's what Interpol charges in Peru. I know there's an international apostille service, and I checked prices for AZ @ $75.00 for benefit letter...don't know about police reports. In fairness, they further state as follows: "If the client wishes to apostille their own documents, we can provide the necessary forms and instructions."

"Fee $1,550 - Where does your money go?

$ 450.00 Government filing fee
$ 250.00 Translation fees and Ecuadorian Notarizations of all documents
$ 150.00 Cedula ID processing that includes government fees
$ 120.00 Other fees, immigration movement record, immigration forms, and local transportation
$ 580.00 Gringo Visas service fee"

When all is said and done, we're taking $2000 American to walk in the front door (add another $1000 just stumbling around for a month to get oriented), but I can't "pick up" my visa at a US consulate. I'm vaccinated, but with delta on the rise, I won't even take a bus to the grocery store in Tucson. Why not "pick up" the visa in country? And we're talking mid-2022 in any case. Seems the covid curve is low in Ecuador, but so is the vaccination rate.

Not a well-heeled investor, do speak and read Spanish, but short on patience.

So, the more you know, the worse it gets, and I'm not even sure of the travel restrictions. What about health insurance just to get off the plane; it's mandatory in Colombia, and for me, the "Assist Card" would add up to $2400 right off the bat. PCR test? They don't say anything about the practical matters.

More to chew on, but I might look into one or two of the abogado suggestions.

seoulguy wrote:

I'm not even sure of the travel restrictions. What about health insurance just to get off the plane; it's mandatory in Colombia....

I traveled from the USA to Ecuador exactly one month ago.

Aside from the normal-times check of passport and ticket, the security and airlines personnel just wanted to see my medical card showing I was fully vaccinated.  I had received my second and final vaccination 16 days prior to flying and thus was considered fully vaccinated by CDC standards two days before the international flights to El Salvador connecting to Quito.

There was no special checking in El Salvador.

There was no quarantine requirement in Ecuador.  Security did not even screen my baggage at the Quito airport, although it appeared others had to put their luggage through a screening machine.

As for health insurance, there may be a requirement on the books, but at Expat.com we haven't had any posted reports of this being enforced upon arrival.

cccmedia in Quito

Many thanks to Tsaxton. I did write Lic Guznay. I didn't expect a reply, but got one that put the first smile on my face.  No nonsense list-making attorney straight from the shoulder.

Right in line with my current feelings. I'll handle the docs and bring them with me. Test the situation a month or two, and if the result is positive, start the process.  If not, no harm, no foul. Too risky to send money up front to providers you know only from the Internet. The visa expediters did not make the fee structure clear enough. Lic. Guznay did, and that's the difference.

Thanks again.

@Dagretto Mr. Guznay is not a lawyer but a facilitator.

@ seoulguy

Just a quick note to let you know Covid vaccination rates in Ecuador are very high.  I myself have had 4 shots while many over 65 have had 3 and a great many people under 65 a minimum of 2 shots, including a large number of children.  People do get ill with the new varieties but very few hospitlaized.
@mariache1226 Dear Maria, maybe you can give any recommendation regards
- visa-facilitation procedur
- persons, who gives this kind of assistance?