Tourist Visa Denial

I have a felony conviction with NO restrictions or travel limits. Its OVER and I paid my debt to society. When I arrived in Quito asking for a tourist visa for under two weeks; it was denied and I was treated terribly and put on a plane with absolutely NO reason given. A gestapo

country and I would never recommend any American give up their freedom to move there.

Hello sacowboy,

Have you ever seen what Customs and Border Protection in the USA, or Canada Border Services Agency do if anyone shows up there with previous felony convictions??? They're given the option to remove themselves from the country voluntarily, and failing that they're taken into custody and put on the first plane back to where they came from. I guess using your yardstick, then CBP or CBSA should be considered as Gestapo too, right?

Your conviction or sentence doesn't have to impose restrictions, they're automatic under the immigration laws of almost every nation on earth. Weren't you aware of that before you travelled? Why would you think that Ecuador would be any different?

As far as explanations go, no country is under any obligation to explain visa refusal, and most usually don't.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you James for your reply; no I didn't know that but I sure tried to find out. I sent the US Counsel in Quito a very clear question and they punted to a Ecuadorian Ministry site that was only in Spanish which didn't help me . My travel agent "Expedia" has a Visa site and previous legal problems are not mentioned for tourist visas; I was well aware that a resident visa required a review of  ones background but couldn't find anywhere a restriction on tourist visas. You are correct that Canada and the "Queen" countries restrict entry as does Canada and now Mexico. My anger is over nowhere does Ecuador mention this until one pays their airfare and gets there. So my retirement plans are ruined and I wish you a happy and healthy one where ever you live.

Trust me, the CBP in the USA and CBSA in Canada don't really advertise it either, but hundreds of Canadians are turned back at land border crossings into the US and hundreds of Americans are turned back by their Canadian counterparts in CBSA every single day.

Actually the whole issue of so-called "visa free" travel is really a misnomer, it's far from visa free. What it really means is that one does not require a consular visa, they get a stamp in their passport which IS THEIR VISA, and it's still subject to all of the same restrictions as a consular visa. Just like a consular visa it is never guaranteed either.

As far as I know every country in the Americas, whether they require a visa or not, will usually ask you upon arrival if you have any criminal convictions; if you answer yes (which you must by law) then they refuse entry and if you answer no when you really have then you can end up with lodgings and meals provided by the state free of charge.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you James; guess I found out the hard way. Think the US Counselor could have told me as much . I have an in with the Secretary of State and such info will be more public in the future. There is no reason the US Counselor in Quito couldn't have told me the same thing. Appreciate your input; wish I met you you weeks ago!

Consulates are traditionally the absolute worst source of information anywhere. Our Canadian Consulate isn't any different. People get more information here, and through Google than they'll ever get from any Consulate, sad to say.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

I apologize for my "gestapo" comment. They did surround me with 12 police and immigration officers and as far as I can see I hadn't done anything illegal. So now I know and guess I will be unable to visit outside the USA. But at 77 I wont have much time to regret it!

SACowboy, you may not need to give up your retirement dream. It is not too late for you to apply for a pardon in the U.S. If you are serious about your retirement dream, please consider contacting an immigration lawyer in Ecuador (there are various lawyers suggested in the forums). Immigration lawyers in many countries routinely deal with issues related to "criminal inadmissibility".  It is not uncommon for a person to be initially denied entry at a border because of a criminal record, but later admitted to the country after the appropriate processes in that country have been followed (which may or may not include some form of hearing.) An experienced Ecuador immigration lawyer will be able to advise you "at a glance" if your record will preclude you from following your dream and retiring in Ecuador. In other words, do not assume that the decision made at the border in your case is necessarily the final decision.

I appreciate your advice and am thankful for you information. Live and learn is the old saying. Perhaps I shall pursue this further in the near future. Thanks again, your input takes some of the sting out of my rejection since it isn't a personal one but as you said; applies across the board.

What I have heard for Ecuador is that if the felony conviction is drug or violence or gun related, entry will be denied no matter what attorney you employ or how much you pay said attorney. Where an Ecuador attorney may be able to help is if the felony is more minor, like felony DUI, or child support related, or maybe something like bad checks.

I am using an attorney, and she confirmed what you said. my husband has had DUI's and bad checks before we married.

As a fellow Canadian and partially sharing SACowboy's 'handle', I'd like to 'throw in' here.
If I could follow up on the suggestion of a good English speaking lawyer north of Quito, I have one I have great faith in, backed by a major Int. assoc. Please contact me privately if interested.
Don't let the age thing disrupt your plans; go online to any city in Ecuador, have a look at what a beautiful ,clean country we're moving too and enjoy our dream.

Well, felons have restrictions in the US and Ecuador does not want people who paid the states but not here!  If you go to Mexico or Canada they will arrest you and put you in jail if you had an "indictable" offense. You have to pay all over again there. Thats just the way it is! You just may be stuck with Obama land until 77 turns into no more time. Too bad. Ecuador is such a beautiful country. I have lived here now for 5 years with my Colombian wife. I was concerned at first with a couple misdemeanors but they never came up. I believe also you would need a pardon here also. You can google that to see. Many countries have that provision also.
Good luck.

As an ex US Customs Inspector I would like to suggest another route. I refused many felons from entering the US in the past.  I suggest you get your pardon from the U.S.  first.  Have the document translated into spanish  from a licensed translator in the US.  Then send the document (make a copy before  sending it ) or physically take it to the Secretary of State in which you reside. There have them Apostille it .  Take this with you to Ecuador or whatever country you decide to visit or take up residency.
By the way  I used to live in Panama and then Ecuador , but I married an amazing Ecuadorian lady and returned to the US to get her US citizenship. If you decide on Ecuador again I can get you the contact for the BEST attorney there. He speaks perfect english, very professional and his father was the Consul in Chile.   Hope this info helps you, Steve

Thank you for taking the time for your suggestion. *** . I fully appreciate any country refusing entrance to anyone for permanent residency for any reason. My annoyance was with the US Consulate in Quito who could have least warned me to be prepared for the denial of a tourist visa. Instead they punted to the Ecuadorian web site which is only in Spanish. In any case I am over it; *** I am very happy in my 70's and all my friends here are relieved I wont be leaving. You were very kind to send me your suggestion. Thank you.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Post modified as requested

Seniors are advised not to disclose publicly their personal financial-information in South America or on forums where your photograph is posted. 

cccmedia

Thank you for your advice; I agree and hope you can delete that comment from my post.

SA, I've edited out from my post the citation of yours that you wanted deleted.

The Home Office in the Mascarene Islands is reviewing your earlier post and I expect they will comply with your wishes.:)

cccmedia

@ sacowboy and cccmedia > Just to inform you that the information has been modified as requested. ;)

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

I know us 'cowboys' got to stick together but the Lonecowboy wants it known he is the  Canuck with No real bad history.Seems we're both about the same age so I can identify with his frustrations.I have my own set of problems . Good Luck wherever you end up SACowboy!