Updated last year

Ecuador’s visa policy, one of the world’s most lenient, makes it easy for tourists from almost all the countries in the world to visit Ecuador as a temporary tourist on a 90-day entry visa (T-3 visa).

Ecuador in 90 days ' T-3 Visa

There is no charge for the T-3 tourist visa. This visa allows the visitor to stay in Ecuador for a maximum of 90 consecutive or non-consecutive days in a chronological year. Upon entry into the country, a border guard will stamp your T-3 visa in your passport with the date of entry.

It's actually easier to list the countries whose citizens require a visa application or special handling in order to enter Ecuador than to list the countries whose citizens can receive an automatic 90-day visa as soon as they arrive in Ecuador.

Here are the countries whose citizens must obtain a visa prior to entry into Ecuador:

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Senegal, North Korea, & Cuba. While Haitian citizens don't require a visa, they must first register with the Tourist Registry System on the Virtual Consulate platform (, be validated, and receive an approval code via email before entering Ecuador.

The T-3 stamp means you must also meet these conditions:

  • Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months beyond the date of entry into Ecuador.
  • You must have a return ticket, proving the duration of your stay.

Important: A new requirement regarding Ecuadorian visa rules states that the visitor must have private or public health insurance that will cover medical expenses while traveling in Ecuador. While you may not be asked to show proof of this at the point of entry into Ecuador, it is a good idea to have a copy of your coverage letter showing your proof of health insurance, just in case.

Even with everything in order regarding your passport, visa, documents, and ticket, entry into Ecuador is not always guaranteed. At the port of entry, an Ecuadorian immigration inspector will determine whether you are eligible to enter or not.

Ecuador beyond 90 days

If you decide that you want to stay in Ecuador longer than the 90 days on the T-3 visa, you will need to decide if you want to obtain another tourist visa or apply for a permanent or resident visa. You will have a number of visa options, depending on your citizenship. You can read about permanent residency visas here.

Once in Ecuador with the T3 stamp, you may apply for and pay for another 90-day tourist visa, called the 'Visitante Temporal' or VT visa. You may obtain this once ever rolling 12-month period, but only after you have obtained the T-3 visa. If you still want to stay as a tourist after these two 90-day periods and not yet apply for a resident visa, you may apply and pay for the 'Visa Especial de Turismo' which will allow you to stay in Ecuador for another 180 days. This 180-day visa can only be obtained after you have received the T-3 stamp and have applied, paid for and received the VT stamp. Citizens of the European Union, the United States or Canada may apply for a Visa Especial de Turismo tourist visa without leaving Ecuador. The 180-day visa can only be issued once every rolling 5-year period.

Important: Fines for overstaying can amount to as much as $2,000, so watch your dates!

Useful links:
List of visas for Ecuador
Consulate General of Ecuador in Washington D.C.
Ecuadorian embassies abroad
Ecuador visas

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.