Certificate of employment

Hello,

I worked in a company for almost 1 year and i asked my employer to give me the letter where its mention from which date i started the job and when my contract ends. Unfortunately i twisted my ankle and gave sick note of 3 weeks and when my employer gave me the certificate of employment he mentioned that in it.

I just want to ask by law he is allowed to do that or not? because it will give bad impression to my new employer.

Thank You.

Good question - but I don't know the answer. Such information is usually confidential and it does sound strange that he would include this - unless there was a reoccurring problem of someone claiming sick leave that they suspected was unfounded.

I don't know that it would cause great harm since you can explain the situation if asked but it certainly doesn't do any thing positive for your chances. I would ask him to rewrite the reference without this information but of course you have a better standing if it is actually not allowed. And people might want to avoid a lawsuit. On the other-hand, to actually bring a legal case against them for this is likely to takes years and not necessarily have much of any pay-off, while risking a lot of costs for a lawyer and court fees.

There is an organization in most cities called the Verbraucherzentrale that can often negotiate such things without a court case and is thus much cheaper by pressuring people into a voluntary compliance.

It is not allowed to mention illnesses and other information irrelevant to employment.
(Besides, it is also not allowed to mention anything negative, so even if the employee sucked, it must be described in pretty opaque terms.)
You should contact your employer and demand a changed letter. Best if you (or a friend experienced in this) write one that your employer just needs to sign.