Advice/Tips for Junior Developer moving to Stuttgart

Hi Everyone,

I have been offered a job as a Junior Programmer (.Net developer) in Stuttgart.
I am coming from Singapore and this is my first out of country relocation.

Hope you can help me with the following:

1. Is the salary 3500 euros gross / month an acceptable salary for a junior programmer?
2. I am single and medical insurance is already part of the salary deduction, how much will be my net salary?
3. Based on answer from no. 2, will I be able to live comfortably in Stuttgart? Please share your own experience since this varies a lot per individual. just to give me an idea.
4. How is the work life balance in the IT industry in Stuttgart?
5. Any other tips on spendings such as how much is needed monthly for rent (it varies i know), groceries, mobile, internet, utilities expenses, transportation.

Thank you!

Hi Red,

My wife is from Singapore too, and living in Stuttgart. So once you arrive, feel free to contact me (by PM) if you want to meet.

1. I don't know your industry, but the salary sounds o.k. to me.
2. The deductions depend on many factors, which you can input into online calculators like brutto-netto-rechner.info to get your (still estimated) pay-out salary. With some assumptions that might (or might not) apply to you, I calculated EUR2300 pay-out on a pre-tax salary of EUR3500/month.
3. This is just a bit below the average German family income (couple with one kid). So if you alone don't manage to live on this comfortably, you have only yourself to blame.
4. You'll probably have 35 - 40 hours workweek (and extra pay if overtime work occurs) and 30 paid days annual leave (that you actually take in full!). Compare that to what you have now to evaluate the work-life -balance.
5. numbeo.com gives a good (crowd-sourced) overview of living costs. The main issue in Stuttgart is rent (which is still cheap compared to Singapore at EUR400 for a sublet room or EUR600 for a studio/one-room apartment): Places are hard to find and tenancy contracts must be signed months before move-in. Also, there are almost no furnished units - you need to get everything yourself! So allow plenty of time in a temporary accommodation (hotel or serviced apartment) in the beginning.