American Service Dog

I have a wonderful Yorkshire Terrior trained, certified American service pet.  Purebred -  10 lbs.
He can fly with me on my lap.

I have all his documentation from the US and his requirements and shots are up to date i believe in Brazil by his vet.

He has been here since 2019.
In the fall i need to take him back with me to the US.  He is not the kind of pet that leaves the house here.

My questions: Does anyone
understand the beaurocratic ping pong process here in terms of health, certification and paperwork i need to bring him home?

Also, Leo was an expensive and is a beautiful gift to me from dear friends who recently lost their beloved pet.  I have been trying to breed him here with a female yorkie so that ultimately i can bring one back to them when i come back again.
ThankS

06/24/21

Facetedfriend

Your airline should be able to give you all the information you need.  Here's a general start:

https://www.wikihow.com/Bring-a-Dog-Int … ted-States

TSA and the US airlines have recently tightened the definition of "service animal", so I doubt that he'll actually be able to fly on your lap, but he sounds small enough for an underseat carrier.  Good luck!

06/30/21

Facetedfriend

You need to see this right away:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=942137

i'm not too sure on the brazil laws on service animals as i am beginning to look into that myself for when i go there with my service dog. he is fully task trained for both mobility and psych. in the US service animals are covered under the ADA. American with Disabilities Act. only dogs and miniature horses can be service animals. there is no certifications, registrations, or ID for them. all there is, is a letter written for you by your doctor, therapist, or psychiatrist. a service pet is not a thing in the US. service animals are for people who are legally disabled and have that note from their doctor in case of flying, housing, etc. also wanted to note that the laws for service animals and emotional support animals have changed since 2020. ESA are no longer allowed on flight free of charge due to the massive amount of ableds faking it to be exempt from the fee. service animals flying now have to fill out DOT forms, those must be submitted and upon flying your dogs behavior (NOT their tasks) will be judges essentially by the worker(s) and if you dog is not properly trained nor behaved they can deny the dog to fly cabin. if you and/or your dog do not meet the current criteria for service animals and their handler you are more than able to fly them cabin with the pet fee. your dog is small enough it should be allowed. if worst comes to worst they will need to go cargo. i also recommend looking through the ADA pages on service animals to better educate yourself as it is very straightforward and helpful. i find the best page to look at is FAQ service animals when first starting your research on service animals. good luck!

@Facetedfriend  I moved to Brazil 2 months ago. Disabled with a scent trained service dog. Worst mistake ever. I love it here however I had been told by Br government departments that being disabled, moving and doing investment residency that I would not have any issues with a service dog. I have had nothing but road blocks and red tape. Completely frustrated!  There are no laws for medical alert dogs only guide dogs. I love the culture, food and beaches. Just frustrated with lack of international standards in regards to disabled who's use of Durable medical equipment that just happens to have four legs!  Oy Vey!

@Facetedfriend  I moved to Brazil 2 months ago. Disabled with a scent trained service dog. Worst mistake ever. I love it here however I had been told by Br government departments that being disabled, moving and doing investment residency that I would not have any issues with a service dog. I have had nothing but road blocks and red tape. Completely frustrated!  There are no laws for medical alert dogs only guide dogs. I love the culture, food and beaches. Just frustrated with lack of international standards in regards to disabled who's use of Durable medical equipment that just happens to have four legs!  Oy Vey!

- @09cellssequent

I can understand that, but when moving to another country there will be lots of situations of frustrations, Cannot bring euro-vision or any form of standardization from other countries as it is really a brazil first mentality here which I can appreciate!