Adopting a pet in Brazil

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Brazil.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Brazil?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Brazil?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Brazil? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

There´s no required formality in adopting a cat or a dog as a pet in Brazil. Many people would like to have immunizations at least for their pets. There are accomodations for dogs or cats while on vacation depending on a specific city.

I did have a Dalmatian but died of old age. A pet is considered a property in Brazil and therefore the owner is responsible for their loud behaviors like barking and of course
of biting someone. Although the law provide for dogs to be able to live in apartment buildings with their owners, big dogs usually are not allowed.

robal

Although a bit expensive, I could bring my Boston Terrier to Brazil when we moved there.  All I needed was the usual vaccinations and $ 1,000 to Delta Airlines.
Odie arrived two days after I did, I picked him up at the airport and walked out of there with him on a leash.  Quite informal.
We adopted Louie, a bum dog my daughter found on the beach, and today he lives with us in Los Angeles.  Same dedal to bring him over, even better in fact. He was on the same flight we were.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Although a bit expensive, I could bring my Boston Terrier to Brazil when we moved there.  All I needed was the usual vaccinations and $ 1,000 to Delta Airlines.
Odie arrived two days after I did, I picked him up at the airport and walked out of there with him on a leash.  Quite informal.
We adopted Louie, a bum dog my daughter found on the beach, and today he lives with us in Los Angeles.  Same dedal to bring him over, even better in fact. He was on the same flight we were.

What a post! Love it. Thanks!

robal

Hey, Robal, are you planning a US visit sometime.
I suspect I would enjoy a beer with you.  Well, maybe a coke as I am not a fan of beer or any alcohol in fact. 
OK, ready to be considered a left extremist.
Enjoy Summer, as I as am fighting winter.  Los Angeles has been much cooler than I remember from my past winters here.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Hey, Robal, are you planning a US visit sometime.
I suspect I would enjoy a beer with you.  Well, maybe a coke as I am not a fan of beer or any alcohol in fact. 
OK, ready to be considered a left extremist.
Enjoy Summer, as I as am fighting winter.  Los Angeles has been much cooler than I remember from my past winters here.

You´re just adjusting yet of LA´s weather. No beer? Are you an American or
American´t?  :lol: I´ll settle for scotch, single malt from Islay! Kidding. A premium mineral water against
your coke. :lol::lol: Still kidding. We´ll see when I get there. I´m not sure yet this year. I´ve got projects to complete. I´ll let you know. Thanks!

robal

Yeah, let me know.
Take care, enjoy the rest of Summer.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Yeah, let me know.
Take care, enjoy the rest of Summer.

Just came back from a trip from the Serra Catarinense and Serra Gaucha (mountains) and from a very luxurious resort at a beach in Florianopolis. I´ll let you know beforehand through PM when I´m due to arrive in LA. It would be great to meet and share some ideas!

robal

Sorry we were off-topic.

Please do that.  I find very few people here in LA (read none) with whom I would care to share anything.  It would be refreshing to share ideas with someone wit a mind outside of my family.  (Did you think I would include my family with the bunch of nitwits?)
I hope you will come up soon.
Be well.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Please do that.  I find very few people here in LA (read none) with whom I would care to share anything.  It would be refreshing to share ideas with someone wit a mind outside of my family.  (Did you think I would include my family with the bunch of nitwits?)
I hope you will come up soon.
Be well.

Thanks Ron for your kind words!

robal