Bringing a pet bird into Brazil.

My Mother and father plan on moving to Brazil this year. My mother has an African grey parrot that she has for about 5 years now and she is to attached to the bird to leave it behind. there is also no one to take care of the bird.
what are the documents and procedures that my mother must take in order to take the bird with to brazil.
Please any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

if you have an exotic bird, you will need an authorization issued by IBAMA. MAPA can be contacted at the e-mail address  [email protected].  You can also get information from your local Brazilian consulate

You also need to contact the airline to see their rules on pets.

Jim

Thank you very much for your help :)

Hi Jaqui,

as I am moving with a parrot to Brazil in three years time, I am really interested in how your parents' experience will be.

I have personally moved with a blue-naped parrot from Germany to Georgia and it was a very stressful process.

I think one difficulty your parents might have can be with the CITES permit(s). I saw that in the last Conference of the Parts of the CITES convention, which was coincidentally in SA, they changed the status of the African greys from Appendix II to Appendix I, which in theory makes it more difficult to move such birds around the world. Anyway, I guess the first step would be contacting entity related to CITES in the country they are moving from (should be the Ministry of Environment and Tourism for Namibia) and in Brazil (should be Ibama, maybe the e-mail [email protected] will help you).

All the best!

Marcus

If you exporting from the US there is an embargo right now, no import to Brazil because of an influenza (bird flue) . Auditora Fiscal Federal Agropecuária (Brazilian USDA) will declined your application authorization on your permit and no entry is possible without that permit.
Also the process can take up to 6 months as to get the US CITES and the Brazilian CITES
and all permits, bird quarantine (various test as to be made) in the US as well as in Brazil.
It's not easy ..   there are some pet relocation services available but they are really expensive.

it seems quite cruel and inhuman how eu america and the world treat animals and birds in particular,

[inappropriate]
Moderated by Vero last year
Reason : inappropriate comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
08/11/22 @sinthiaisabelle.  Brazil has a unique,  vulnerable, and diverse avian fauna, with many endangered species complicated by ongoing, serious issues with habitat loss.  In addition, it's very easy for invasive species and exotic diseases to establish themselves in a tropical country.   I'm glad that successive governments have taken their responsibility to safeguard native species seriously, if not always as seriously as they should.  No potential expat's convenience is worth the cost of losing a single Brazilian species, no matter how much they love their pets.

[Moderator's note: sinthiaisabelle's comment has been moderated]

- @sinthiaisabelle

I want to comment, but your remarks have left me completely speechless
Hi all,

Please note that an inappropriate comment has been moderated.

As stated in the FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT: The Expat.com forum is dedicated to expat related matters. Topics related to politics [...] wont be accepted.

Vero
Expat.com