Man Throws Dogs From Sixth Floor Window in Copacabana

http://s2.glbimg.com/PmiIEWTDSk1Gnm8_nBLZlDrBMrU=/300x225/s.glbimg.com/jo/g1/f/original/2013/05/22/cao.jpg
Well, I thought that I had already seen every kind of human depravity in my eleven years here in Brazil, but I was obviously wrong and my heart is absolutely broken.

Rogério Povilaitis Dominguez, 51 years old and a medical doctor was charged with cruelty to animals for throwing his mother's two dogs (a German Shepherd and a Poodle) to their deaths from her sixth floor Copacabana apartment window. Neighbors tried to linch the man.

Fortunately, a third dog owned by the woman was spared the same fate as it was under the care of her daughter, who is a Veterinarian, and out of the home at the time.

Unfortunately, he is already free. While the law here for cruelty to animals carries a penalty of three months to one year in prison and a fine, in practice he will be sentenced to some kind of community service and pay a fine in Cestas Básicas (food parcels) since this is what is mandated by law for sentences under 4 years, sad to say.

The more I see of human beings the more I'm ashamed to be one of them.

William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

THEY WANT TO KNOW WHO SPEAKS FOR THEM... Will you?

http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/images12/inspire2012/cat_and_dog07.jpg

People, we've got to speak out, we have to let this country know that we're fed up with the way animals are treated here. By law we're prohibited from participating in politics, but we sure as hell can complain, speak our minds. Let everybody know what you think.

I'd say more here, but I can't see through my tears, I'm so saddened by this monsterous act.

In Solidarity for All Animals,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

If anyone hurts one of my pets.I fear I will go to prison after I am done with them !!!!!!

The sad truth is that there are so many evil hateful people here in Brazil when it comes to the way they treat animals it's amazing.

As a pet owner and animal lover myself I've vowed that when the sad time to say goodbye to any of my pets does come, I'm not going to replace them. I've already lost several pets here over the years as the result of "mysterious" disappearances. I'm sure they were poisoned and just went off to die somewhere. I've also lived in areas where some sick SOB was routinely poisoning dogs and cats and nobody would do anything about it. I personally offered a reward of R$5000 for information that would lead to the person's arrest, but the code of silence here is unbreakable. I would have thought that for that amount somebody would turn in their own mother, but I was wrong.

This is sooo sad.Animal abuse does happen in America too.People like to use  antifreeze to kill animals.I heard dogs like the taste of it! Dog fighting is another thing bad thing.This is something that bothered me in Brazil and many other countries that I have traveled to.I saw animals tied to trees in the middle of nowhere and in the worst heat and no water or food.  I know  some ranchers in Texas  that when their ranch dogs get ill and too much trouble.They don't take them to the vet.They just take them behind the barn and shoot them. I am not friends with Texans that do this !!!!!!  A wise man once said ."You show me how a country treats it's animals and I will show you how they treat their people !!!!!! In Texas this is one of things I like about where I live now! Even in some neighborhoods .You can own 5 acres or more .So, your neighbors aren't too close and you don't have to deal with their crap. I worry about moving to another country with my pets. Me being a Gringo and if I piss someone off and they poison my pets. I had a friend move to Costa Rico a few years back.She had a Great Dane and a lab.They were the nicest dogs and came from East Texas. They were indoor / outdoor dogs.They had been around,bears,cougars,coyotes,snakes and gators etc...  Here first week the Great Dane was killed by a poisonous snake that came after her. Three weeks later her male lab was killed by a croc in a creek that had never had crocs there before.You can't control nature but you don't have to live with some problems.This was sooo sad.She is a good pet owner and person.  I have had a few gators go after my dogs over the years and I jumped on a few of them to save my dogs !Which people thought I was crazy but these are my kids! This is why I have to be real careful of where I buy a retirement home and the risks.Sorry for rambling !

This is how Brazil treats its animals:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=248976

Just imagine how it treats its people.