Bringing dog from Brazil back to US

I am looking for information on bringing a dog from Brazil to the US.  The information on the CDC website is unclear to me.  It states there is a temporary suspension for dogs entering the US (from Brazil and 112 other high risk rabies countries) till July 2024.  But then their is a form "CDC Rabies vaccination and microchip record". that implies that with a ISO compliant microchip number and Rabies vaccine info one may be able to fly a dog into one of 5 CDC-approved ports of entry.  Has anyone dealt with this since the ban went into effect.  Thanks for any info!

I have not dealt with this, but it looks like it depends on where your dog got its rabies vaccine.

07/20/24 @Droplover. Good morning. Please see this guidance from Customs and Border Protection:

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- … uage=en_US

There's an email address at the end for further questions.

@abthree Thanks as always.

The following statement is what I don't understand.

has a current, valid US-issued rabies vaccination certificate;

Does this mean that if the vet here fills in the US issued vaccination certificate (I can print it from the CDC) it is accepted or does the rabies vaccine have to be given in the US originally?

We brought our dog here from the US and unfortunately she died of cancer.  So now we would love to get a puppy (we will be here two more years)  The microchip is not a problem and I can get a rabies titer done if needed.

Btw. the vet practice we took our dog in Campinas was awesome.  We have lived in Europe and the US and have never found a vet practice as compassionate as we have here and at a fraction of US prices. 

It breaks my heart to see how many abandoned dogs and cats there are in Brazil.  We fostered a few few weeks ago and at that time the NGO had 50 puppies just in this small area.  If only all pets would get neutered and spayed!

It looks like the shot has to be given in the U.S. But to be sure, here are the contacts: "For questions, please contact CDC at cdcanimalimports@cdc.gov or CDC-INFO at (404) 718-3660."

07/20/23 @abthree Thanks as always. The following statement is what I don't understand.
has a current, valid US-issued rabies vaccination certificate;
Does this mean that if the vet here fills in the US issued vaccination certificate (I can print it from the CDC) it is accepted or does the rabies vaccine have to be given in the US originally?
We brought our dog here from the US and unfortunately she died of cancer. So now we would love to get a puppy (we will be here two more years) The microchip is not a problem and I can get a rabies titer done if needed.

-@Droplover

My reading of the regulation is that the rule applying to you is the one below that, "Foreign-vaccinated dogs" and that you'll need the CDC form properly completed by your Brazilian vet, and the rabies titer when you travel. Your vet sounds like he's well-connected professionally, so he may well already be aware of how to meet the US requirements. I would send any other questions to the National Import Export Services email address shown at the bottom of the link I sent above. Remember, too, that the rules could change anytime, so after getting your puppy vaccinated, chipped, and documented, keep checking the rules during the months before your trip.

@BraGringa I actually messaged them initially but all they did was send back the same info as online.  I will be in the US in September and I will call them at that time to clarify.  Thanks you!

@Droplover If I am reading this right as long as the US Rabies certification is still in effect you should be good. It seems like your Brazilian Vet just needs to Ok it, but if it is still current your fine. However, correct me if I am wrong, but you want to adopt a Brazilian dog to take the place of the one that passed?

My advice though is not to try to bring your dog to the US. My condolences to the one that passed, but arranging with the shelter for a temporary pet until you go to the USA may be your best bet. if you do go thru with it possibly adopt a smaller breed that can be placed in the cabin, that will cut down on your obstacles.

The hardest thing I have ever done in my life was bringing Simba (35lb.) Beagle  / Cocker Spaniel mix from Boston (Logan Airport) to the Jericoacoara Airport in Northern Ceara). i vowed that we would never make the trip again and that was the USA  to Brazil nightmare. I can't imagine doing it from Brazil to the USA.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I would just add that the frustration and amount of work involved in bringing Simba to Brazil moved many important tasks to the end of the to do list and even off the list. i now regret several of the tasks I did not accomplish because I was so overwhelmed with my Pets Journey.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@roddiesho The train left the station.........  We adopted a dog yesterday here in Campinas.  She is a collie mix so she will probably be about 40 lbs when adult.  I know this was maybe not the smartest thing but honestly I don't think I could have stayed here without a dog.  We actually had a good experience bringing our dog here in Jan. 2021.  We drove from Raleigh to Miami and then flew (after a few days and visiting my brother who lives on Key Biscayne) from MIA to Sao Paulo on Latam.  She flew cargo and it was very smooth.  Latam crew was super nice and after arrival in Sao Paulo they checked the papers and in a few minutes we were on our way.  She came out with the oversized luggage at the bagage aera. Our dog had anti anxiety medicine before hand and I am sure she hated every minute of the flight but she seemed fine after and liked her years there in Brazil!

@Droplover Best Wishes! i hope everything works out well.

Roddie in Retirements1f575.svg