UK Residents - Ten Year Residency Status

I am a UK citizen and since Brexit I have had to apply for a ten year residency card.  The gov.uk website states 'If you were a resident in Malta before 1 January 2021 you need to apply for a new residency card by 30 June 2021'.   I have gone through this process but haven't collected the new residency card yet.
The reason being that I'm in UK at present as a family member is very poorly. However I don't want to go back to pick up my new residency card  as my family member could take a turn for the worse. 

I'm concerned that I would need to collect the new card before the 30th June. If I didn't would it look like my residency application would be incomplete ?

When did you apply for your card?  I know several people who applied in October still have not received theirs yet, if you did apply then or later it's probably not ready yet.  You could always get in touch with
the residence office and explain your situation, good luck.

When entering Malta you are more than likely will have your passport stamped, so when you do collect your card, you will need to get the stamp cancelled.

If your old eResidence card is still valid it should suffice to re enter Malta and not have your passport stamped, if it has expired, the blue receipt you have for your 10 year application which is usually printed with 'Not valid for re entry to Malta'  may, possibly, together with your expired card may just save a passport stamp. A lot depends on the official on the day as rules are not interpreted consistently.

As for your new card, I don't think that will be a problem as many will not even be ready by 30th June, indeed applications are still been taken till that date and they will probably take several months to be processed.
Uncollected ones are usually just kept in a folder to await collection.

“You need to APPLY”. Not complete the process.

You can email them and ask for a update they gave me one when I asked - it takes months. As long as you started the process it's fine

Yes I did also apply in October.

Thank you all for your advice.   I feel better about this now.

I mentioned this in an earlier  similar  question,
I applied for my 10year card in March 2020, after I had to phone , I got my card in May 2021 🙄🤔
Give them a call, good luck.

We are in the same position and our cards are ready to collect . We are stuck in UK as we work there and cannot get home to Malta to collect our cards . (If we leave uk we would have to quarantine for tens days on return to UK and we can?t do that as we run a business.)
I?m worried what will happen to our cards. A friend has offered to collect them but I doubt they will let him ? .
Worried about this.

If you run a business in the UK and work there how come you have a residence card?
I doubt if someone else can pick your cards up, they will probably hold on to them for when you return.

Jackman wrote:

We are in the same position and our cards are ready to collect . We are stuck in UK as we work there and cannot get home to Malta to collect our cards . (If we leave uk we would have to quarantine for tens days on return to UK and we can?t do that as we run a business.)
I?m worried what will happen to our cards. A friend has offered to collect them but I doubt they will let him ? .
Worried about this.

It is to be hoped that no one from Identity Malta sees your post or you won't be getting them at all and might even face prosecution if you did return!

It's allowed! You can have a business oversees as we are self sufficient in Malta!

Prosecution for what ? Having a business in another country ? Are Maltese residents not allowed businesses abroad?Our main home is in Malta and has been for 9 years . To prove self sufficiency they checked our income generated by our uk business, so not sure why you think that is not allowed, as it is.
ID Malta have just sent our notification of cards being ready to our British address.

Because our home is in Malta GozoMo x

Jackman wrote:

It's allowed! You can have a business oversees as we are self sufficient in Malta!

Yes you can have a business overseas, but you have informed Identity Malta that you reside in Malta whilst you have stated in your posts that you work in the UK and can't afford to spend time away from running your business.
You can not be resident in two countries at the same time. Even the NHS is residence based so, technically if you declare you reside in Malta you would not be entitled to NHS treatment in the UK.
I was simply making the point that to get the 10 year residency card you are actually meant to reside here not in the UK, but of course it is your decision what you tell the authorities.

“You can not be resident in two counties at the same time.” Correct. I don't reside in UK never stated I did. We commute from Malta a couple of days a month.  I think you'll find Malta ID check these things well before handing out residency ! Telling someone on here “you'll be prosecuted” is downright nasty and was very very upsetting for me.
I have private health care in both countries, as that seems to bother you too .
You were not just “making a point” you were accusing me of fraud and caused me a lot of upset and also implied Malta ID are daft and don't check these things thoroughly .
“What you tell the authorities is up to you”. I tell the authorities our exact circumstances and as we spend 80% of our time in Malta we are classed as self sufficient residents.
Like the opening poster we have got stuck in England for a few weeks through no fault of our own. This is now remedied thank goodness and we can get back to normal from next week.
This is the last time I will use this forum as there was no need for you to be so horrid.

As you appear to wish to twist everything I have said, I will leave it at that and good luck with getting your cards!

You are wrong and your response is poor and not at all helpful to the person requiring help. If you don't know the correct answer you should refrain from posting

100# correct and the response you had was incorrect.

Brian Jones wrote:

You are wrong and your response is poor and not at all helpful to the person requiring help. If you don't know the correct answer you should refrain from posting

I  am not sure whether your comments are a reply to me but my answer saying you can not be resident in two countries at the same time is correct. As it happens the OP had implied that most of their time was spent in the UK running the business and could not spare time to quarantine.
However Identity Malta will not knowingly grant a residency card to some one who can not prove they spend the majority of their time here. Hence the rigorous checks covering the period up to obtaining the card.
Whether you apply with the intention of working or as self sufficient is immaterial. The main requirement is that you are actually resident here.
If in doubt, I would suggest visiting the Identity Malta office and telling them you spend most of your time in the UK but would like a 10 year residency card!
If you DO spend most of your time here and are only away a few days at a time then no problem but the was not what was implied in the OP.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Brian Jones wrote:

I  am not sure whether your comments are a reply to me but my answer saying you can not be resident in two countries at the same time is correct. As it happens the OP had implied that most of their time was spent in the UK running the business and could not spare time to quarantine.
However Identity Malta will not knowingly grant a residency card to some one who can not prove they spend the majority of their time here. Hence the rigorous checks covering the period up to obtaining the card.
Whether you apply with the intention of working or as self sufficient is immaterial. The main requirement is that you are actually resident here.
If in doubt, I would suggest visiting the Identity Malta office and telling them you spend most of your time in the UK but would like a 10 year residency card!
If you DO spend most of your time here and are only away a few days at a time then no problem but the was not what was implied in the OP.

Firstly, I implied no such thing.
Secondly , as I stated, I had already been granted residency, after the usual rigorous checks, and was simply delayed in the uk due to a travel ban so could not collect the new card (which I now have).
So there was no need to for you to insinuate I could be “prosecuted” for attempting to enter the country.

Thank you once again and I am sure this is correct. We did explain that whilst we still have a home in UK we also spend more than 90 days at a time in Malta. We proved our self sufficiency with statements etc and our application was accepted. I am sure the original question was based on the same guidelines. Thank you once again.

I don't know if this affects you or not but according to the Withdrawal Agreement which determines the rules for your residence permit, you are not normally allowed an absence of more than six months per year, with date zero being the date you moved to Malta. Exceptions can be made in certain cases but the six month rule is a serious one.
If you have been out of Malta for more than six months during the defined year (or think you will be) then you may have some difficulties.

You can read about this rule in the Q&A (below) from the European Commission. 

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default … -fr_en.pdf

I also believe this to be the case and if you are serious in having a residence permit then you should not be absent for that period of time however I think the last 18 months (Covid 19) has been unprecedented and as caused people to either remain where they were or chose not return due to other issues.