Steuernummer

hello, i worked in stuttgart for 5 months and the boss said he would make all the papers but after the last day ive got the money on hand but  i didn't get any papers. whom I can call to check the steuernummer and whether I was employed.

Your post is confusing.
If you worked somewhere and were paid, you were employed. (You can also check your employment contract for the details.)
The Steuernummer (tax ID) is automatically sent to you soon (1 - 2 weeks) after you first register in Germany. It stays with you for life - and you must have given it (together with the Sozialversicherungsnummer - social security ID) to your employer, too, so they can submit your taxes and other deductions properly. (Check your monthly payslips to see if they did!)
The only paper your employer must give you (if you ask for it) after you resigned, is a recommendation letter. But he can send that up to three months after you request it.
What other papers were you expecting?

in short: we agreed on a salary over the phone and he sent me a copy of the contract but from the beginning of the employment until the end I did not receive any paper or payment slip other than the salary I received on hand. the only paper is the residence registration

So they did not ask for the tax and social security IDs?
Did they do any deductions from the agreed salary (which is always pre-tax and you receive only 50 - 70% in cash)?
If not, you were probably illegally working.

jJapa wrote:

in short: we agreed on a salary over the phone and he sent me a copy of the contract but from the beginning of the employment until the end I did not receive any paper or payment slip other than the salary I received on hand. the only paper is the residence registration

When did you first register your residence in Germany?

Did you move to Germany for this job?

it was last year, I moved to Germany for the first time. I lived in the boss's apartment and he did the residence registration and he just gave me that paper. Should i call finanzamt to check it out or some1 else.

My friend is working in Munchen and called me to come to work with him in restaurant, he said that i need steuernummer but ive never recieved/seen one.

This is becoming ever more confusing:
1. Normally, you must do the registration, not your boss. Did you receive the registration paper from him, confirming you were registered?
2. The tax ID is then sent to this address by post. Could  post reach you there? (It was your obligation to make sure it can reach you there!)
3. Did you get a social security number and supply it to the employer?
4. Were the compulsory deductions (income tax, health insurance, unemployment insurance, pension fund, etc.) made from your salary before paying it out to you? (This amounts to 30 - 50% of your contractual salary.)
If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, you need to find out the details (and your numbers) from your ex-employer.
If the answers are No, you worked fully illegally. In this case, just register at the new address, wait for the numbers to arrive - and never mention the previous illegal job to anyone! (Do NOT call the tax authority, unless you want trouble!)

jJapa wrote:

it was last year, I moved to Germany for the first time. I lived in the boss's apartment and he did the residence registration and he just gave me that paper. Should i call finanzamt to check it out or some1 else.

My friend is working in Munchen and called me to come to work with him in restaurant, he said that i need steuernummer but ive never recieved/seen one.

What beppi said.

Was your name on the letter box or did your registration (does this actually look like a genuine, official document???) mention a 'bei' / 'co'  *insert ex-boss' name*?

If not, it's likely that any kind of correspondence went back to the sender as undeliverable.  You could call the Tax authority and ask for your tax ID - you never got it, name was not on letter box, sorry, sorry.

I'm confused now too, I talked to a former work colleague, it's the same thing with him, but we were actually registered at another address, not where we lived.
we agreed on a net salary, gross I don't know how much it is.
i worked for the same boss in austria and there was no problem but here the other person ran everything

jJapa wrote:

I'm confused now too, I talked to a former work colleague, it's the same thing with him, but we were actually registered at another address, not where we lived.
we agreed on a net salary, gross I don't know how much it is.
i worked for the same boss in austria and there was no problem but here the other person ran everything

Wow.

And that didn't ring alarm bells.

Would you receive correspondence at the address where you were/are registered? (Not lawful to register in one address and live in another like that, by the way.) Can you ask there whether any letters arrived for you?

Did you give him your passport and a power of attorney for the registration?

So, the work that you were doing, did that involve any sort of, 'if I say this code word, you drop any tools and say you're just visiting' or 'just say you are doing a trial day today...'?

The reason you never got any papers is that you were working on the black.

It is illegal to register at an address where you do not live.
I think you fell for a big scam, and now have to suffer the consequences!

I worked in a restaurant, there were no codes but there were a lot of help workers every day. at the address where I was registered was a building with several apartments, one belonged to the boss and I did not have access to the mailbox. 4 of us came from outside Germany to work and we were all registered at that address but we actually lived above the restaurant - "that we don't have to travel to work every day and it doesn't matter where we are registered".

This company provided you with wrong information:
It is YOUR responsibility to register at the address where you live, and you must be reachable there. You must have given a signature to allow them registering you - they cannot do it without written consent.
I guess they did not cover half your health, unemployment and pension insurance, and also paid you less than the legal minimum wage of €9/hour, gave no (paid) vacation leave of 20 days per year (at 5-days workweek, or 24 days for 6-days workweek), paid sick leave, or made you work more than 10 hours per day or 50 hours per week. All this is illegal in Germany. If so, this is modern slavery and you should report this boss to the police!

Like Beppi mentioned, you have to register your place of residency. The boss, in this case who seems to have been the landlord of where you lived, would have had to have given you a signed document showing that you lived there. But then you take this and register yourself; the boss can't do it for you. And one has to have a mailbox with their name at it where they live. From the sounds of it, you never received a tax number because you in fact never got legally registered. And Beppi's conclusion that it was a scam so that the employer could get around paying tax and benefits on your income is somewhat speculative but sounds like the most likely explanation. What other reason is there for such behavior?