BRITISH VICTIMISED FOR BREXIT

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … quirements     

At Spanish border control, you may need to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queuing. Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. You may also need to:
o    show a return or onward ticket
o    show you have enough money for your stay
o    show proof of accommodation for your stay, for example, a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home), or an invitation from your host or proof of their address if staying with a third party, friends or family. The Spanish Government has clarified that the “carta de invitation €74” is one of the options available to prove that you have accommodation if staying with friends or family. More information is available from the Spanish Ministry of Interior.

The rules do not mean uk nationals are being victimised.

Third country nationals have aways been required to conform to less straight- forward  conditions than those which apply to EU nationals.

Hello John

I am totally confused, why do British tourist not need a visa for Spain when staying less than 90 days.

Maybe I misunderstood, does the UK apply the same list of rules to Spanish citizens visiting the UK?

Many countries allow tourists to visit without any visa requirements, spain and U.K. included.

Sorry but I do not understand your first question.

I am sure you know U.K.  allow EU nationals to visit for a total of 180 days in a year, either in segments or as one stay.  Spain, as part of the Schengen area permit visits of up to a total of 90 days in 180.

Yes John I accept what you say.

But in my original post are these rules a reciprocal deal or bias against the British tourist. Is the EU trying to pull Spanish strings (game playing). I accept any sovereign country can set any rules they like depending on whether they want to encourage or deter tourism from a particular country.

Do I actually have to go to the police station and pay €74 to get permission for my mother to stay with me for a week (she is a British national) and has cancer.

I don't believe reciprocity applies.  U.K. and the Schengen area are free to set their own rules

As for the requirements for a carta de invitation.  That has always applied to some third countries.  For example the Philippines. When my wife's cousin wanted to visit she required a carta.

It is ‘unclear' at the moment if U.K. nationals visiting and staying free in friends or relatives properties will or will not be required or have a carta.

Thank you so much John, I do appreciate your advice and knowledge.

‘It is ‘unclear' at the moment if U.K. nationals visiting and staying free in friends or relatives properties will or will not be required or have a carta.'

Why is it unclear?, why do public taxpayers pay these politicians and bureaucrats (the meal ticket brigade) to actually do, other than stand on the fence playing games at the expense and inconvenience of the public?

Do they want us? Don't they want us? Or are they just scammers?

Jane,   I am 81, I've had a background in law, so I guess I expect fewer instant decisions.

Brexit has brought many changes and it is going to take quite a while to sort out all the wrinkles.

In U.K. they pass a new law, which has been debated before two Houses of Parliament to establish unambiguous meaning, and then for maybe years lawyers argue before  the courts regarding how it should be interpreted in specific circumstances.

Early days to to resolve all post Brexit problems.

Thank you John, all very true. You are an asset to the forum.

I went to the local police today and asked for a carta for my mother with cancer. They said it was not applicable to British and only applied to a certain religious groups with known terrorist intentions. But will the immigration authorities at Alicante airport have the same rule and opinion?

Can you imagine the British tourists being refused entry to Spain and deported for not having a €74 carta, or is it more likely that they will be ignored and waived through as before with a €74 carta in their hand thinking they have had their pants down?

I do not expect an answer, only an opinion.

Sorry I can't really help further

Whether a carta is required in your situation as I said it's uncertain, however as I understand, although a tadd over the top, one can request a carta in all cases, including when it's not required, so I do not understand the reaction you had from the police.

You said you spoke to the local police, if you meant the policía local , it might explain the response. It is the national police who issue the carta.

You may find useful info here;-

http://www.interior.gob.es/web/servicio … invitacion

Edited