Looking for a good Estate attorney in Budapest

Hi All,

I'm in need of a reputable (honest) Estate attorney in Budapest to handle a probate case for me. I am in Utah, USA, and am concerned when selecting someone from afar!

I am a HU citizen (US & HU), so I could travel to Budapest if necessary, but perhaps this can be handled without that.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Randy

Hey Randy. I am sorry for your loss.

But have you not already asked this question?

Hi!

Not exactly, no. I have made progress on translating the document I received, but this is specifically asking for help in finding a reputable/honest Estate-Probate attorney.

I've come to find out that I possibly need a "Notary" also? I'm not certain about this, but my understanding is they are quite different than what a notary is here in the US, and handle more of a "Magistrate" function in HU.....

Thanks!

Hi Randy,

I myself inherited real estate in Budapest but I'm a US citizen and not a Hungarian one.
I was born and grew up in Budapest so I speak, read and write fluent Hungarian. I retained my attorney since 2013 and she helped me with all my real estate needs ever since.
I honestly would highly recommend her.
Best Regards,
Bobby

Hi Bobby!

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a name and contact for her? That would be great!

Best~

Hi again Randy,
Yes of course I do. Out of respect I would rather not post publicly her details. Let me give you my private email address;***
Please email me and I would be more than happy to provide her details for you.
Sincerely,
Bobby B.

Moderated by Cheryl 7 months ago
Reason : Kindly exchange your contact details by using the private messaging system please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Randy,
Oops, my email address became hidden.
Let me try this: ***
Hope this will be acceptable.
Have a great day!
Bobby B.

Moderated by Cheryl 7 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@bobby B11

For personal security please do not post contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system to exchange these.

Yes I apologize and thank you very much.

Randy, beware that Bobby has registered yesterday just to recommend his trusted attorney...  :/

randy.moller wrote:

Hi!

Not exactly, no. I have made progress on translating the document I received, but this is specifically asking for help in finding a reputable/honest Estate-Probate attorney.

I've come to find out that I possibly need a "Notary" also? I'm not certain about this, but my understanding is they are quite different than what a notary is here in the US, and handle more of a "Magistrate" function in HU.....

Thanks!

Sorry we do not know anyone, thankfully haven't need any help so far.
It is true though that a notary in Hungary has a ton of legal power. They can act like an attorny in some cases, much faster then using a lawyer and going to court.
We used a notary over a decade ago when my HU MIL wished to write one of her children out of her will.
She wanted my husband to get his share with another sibling because that one child had already'Taken" land that was suppoose to be shared with my husband.
We however had to have a contract with her as her support. We set up a bank account and sent her funds every month.
The notary was able to do all this legal paperwork without us having to use a lawyer.
We told her over the phone what we wanted and only had to go into her office once to sign papers after she had them drawn up. Was much cheaper to then hiring a lawyer.
It might be possible to do all this online these days with ID proof and legal documents needed being forwarded by e-mail? I have no idea but there might be a way to do this without coming to Hungary in person.
PS. In the end when she passed we found out she never spent a penny of the money we sent her and we got it all back from the bank.
I have no idea how you can find one from the US but perhaps you can narrow it down t a notary who is listed online as being in the district where your mother lived?
You will need someone who speaks Hungarian to help you but perhaps even a clerk inside the city hall of your mother's distict can recommend someone with a good track record?
Best wishes.

Hi,
Sorry if you think this way. I am an honest person who was in similar situation as Randy.
The reason I mentioned Randy my Hungarian attorney is because I have known her for 8 years.
Sincerely, Bobby B.

I can give you details of our lawyer as well.  He speaks some English. 

He did our house purchase and also helped with resolving a boundary dispute with our neighbours. He's also helping Mrs Fluffy with her property/land issues.

PM me if you want to know more.

Thank you~ Yes, after some consideration and his "over eager to help".....I finally got that!

randy.moller wrote:

Thank you~ Yes, after some consideration and his "over eager to help".....I finally got that!

Just to say that Mrs Fluffy inherited some property recently from her late father.   I t was a muddle of different percentages split up amongst different relations.  But the recipients all agreed how it was going to be allocated and traded amongst themselves. 

Therefore the people who deal with these things allocated the proportions for the recipients and there was 30 days to complain or reject how it was split up.    30 days is common here which applies when they want it to apply and doesn't when they don't.

So in the end, the official forms came, were signed, a tax was paid and that was that.  They didn't have a lawyer and as they just agreed amongst themselves, then let the public official make it official according to the rules and they all just signed everything. 

If there was going to be an argument about it, they would probably have needed a lawyer.

What I am saying is that it need not be very complicated if someone in your circle speaks Hungarian to near native level, the ownership is agreed or obvious according to the rules and someone can help with the official forms.    Getting the property in your name seems to be the priority.

Obviously if you're in the US, don't speak Hungarian and the property is here, then sure, you need someone to act for you.  It should not be very expensive.   Inheriting is different to selling or buying and not percentage based on value.

Good luck.

Great information Fluffy! Thank you so much.

In this case, I am the ONLY living relative, and I don't believe (at this moment anyway) there is any contestation or others involved. That may not be the case, as I have no information about that at this point, but you're right, this may be much simpler than my current understanding.

I have an interpreter that is helping me with a direct phone call to District II this morning, so we will know more shortly!

Thanks for the reply!

randy.moller wrote:

Great information Fluffy! Thank you so much.

In this case, I am the ONLY living relative, and I don't believe (at this moment anyway) there is any contestation or others involved. That may not be the case, as I have no information about that at this point, but you're right, this may be much simpler than my current understanding.

I have an interpreter that is helping me with a direct phone call to District II this morning, so we will know more shortly!

Thanks for the reply!

Make sure you get the actual property number.

With that, you can get a copy of the property record and find out if there are any other hidden owners or liens (financial claims) on the property.  You can get that property records online with help - needs registration.  If it's a house, you can get the land and area plans as well.   Certified copies can be had online but they cost more money. Lawyers have easier access to the property records than individuals.

It may take months to get the property in your name and for it to be visible in the public register.  But so long as the paperwork in hand is right, that isn't so important.

One good thing here is that the property register is definitive.  If it says XYZ is the owner of property 123 then they have all the legal rights.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Make sure you get the actual property number.

With that, you can get a copy of the property record and find out if there are any other hidden owners or liens (financial claims) on the property.  You can get that property records online with help - needs registration.  If it's a house, you can get the land and area plans as well.   Certified copies can be had online but they cost more money. Lawyers have easier access to the property records than individuals.

It may take months to get the property in your name and for it to be visible in the public register.  But so long as the paperwork in hand is right, that isn't so important.

One good thing here is that the property register is definitive.  If it says XYZ is the owner of property 123 then they have all the legal rights.

Thanks. I do have the property address (exact), and have looked at it on google street view.

I have someone that is helping me with translation and as an interpretor. We are in contact with the District office that issued the document I have, so the process is now underway, and I will know more in the next couple of days as to what I should do regarding travel needs, etc.....

Best!

randy.moller wrote:

....
Thanks. I do have the property address (exact), and have looked at it on google street view.

I have someone that is helping me with translation and as an interpreter. We are in contact with the District office that issued the document I have, so the process is now underway, and I will know more in the next couple of days as to what I should do regarding travel needs, etc.....

Best!

Address is good but really you need to get the property number. It will save you time on identification of the actual place as it's needed on contracts etc.  Address alone is OK but property number is the legal identification.

It's usually a few digits like 1234/1.

The /1 I think refers to a subdivision of a previously larger plot.

Best of luck with it and do let us all know if it works out.

fluffy2560 wrote:
randy.moller wrote:

....
Thanks. I do have the property address (exact), and have looked at it on google street view.

I have someone that is helping me with translation and as an interpreter. We are in contact with the District office that issued the document I have, so the process is now underway, and I will know more in the next couple of days as to what I should do regarding travel needs, etc.....

Best!

Address is good but really you need to get the property number. It will save you time on identification of the actual place as it's needed on contracts etc.  Address alone is OK but property number is the legal identification.

It's usually a few digits like 1234/1.

The /1 I think refers to a subdivision of a previously larger plot.

Best of luck with it and do let us all know if it works out.

Thanks Fluffy! I will find the property number asap....Good info!

I'll update here when I know more!

I am in Budapest and I do.

New topic