Receiving and paying tax on mail from outside the EU

I just received a package from my parents in Canada. The value is over 45 euros so I know I must pay tax. However, I went in to pay the required amount but apparently I'm not able to pay right at the post office.

No one really explained to me how I go about paying this tax because of the non-English speaking thing. I understood that I have to go online and do something, but I have no idea what I have to do. The papers I received are all in Hungarian. I'm feeling slightly frustrated and just want to be able to get my package! :)

Has anyone had any experience receiving mail from outside the EU on which tax must be paid? If so, could you share your knowledge with me? Please?

Thank you!!

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I just recently returned to Hungary, originally Hungarian but lived in Canada for a few years (may return again soon), sent packages to my family several times from Canada to Hungary before. However, in the past it was fairly easy to send stuff without any complications here but I heard that the law just recently changed regarding the taxation after postal items coming from outside the EU.
To be honest, as of right now I do not know the procedure of it but I am willing to help you (even could go to the post office with you and ask them if you want to) if you do not mind and OK with it.

If you want to meet me first, we could have a coffee somewhere and further discuss this matter.

Yuki

Hello again,

I just checked the post office website and I read the "taxation of packages" info sheet where it is stated that packages which are addressed to private persons sent from private persons (sent from outside of EU)and are between 45.1-150 euros must pay a 27% ÁFA value added tax). Now it also says that you supposed to have received a custom declaration form CN23 along with a yellow coloured remittance cheque with the amount payable printed on it.

Normally, you must take this yellow remittance cheque (filled out correctly) and you can pay it (cash or whatever method of payment) at the post office and you will get a receipt of this transaction as a proof of payment (this receipt must contain the following info on it; the amount of the tax payed, the postal tracking number of the package and the id number of the yellow remittance cheque).  Only after this would the package be delivered to the addressee.

That is all that I found on the website. Hope it helps however if you still have difficulties, as I wrote you earlier we could meet up to discuss.

Yuki

Use Google-translate feature to read Hungarian websites, including Magyar Posta. Install translate app on your Google browser and it will do it for you automatically. Get an App for your Iphone which allows you to speak English and it repeats your phrase in Hungarian. All of my suggestions are freeware and cost zero.

Good luck.