Renting in Quito, Ecuador

Hello everyone. Would anyone have any advice on renting a really nice bright three bedroom , 2 bath house or apartment in Quito that is within a 40 minute walk of el Parque Ejido? This is for two children two adults, at no more than, 1, 500 a month.  Does anyone know any good American rental agents? Thank you so much, Naomi

Do an internet search for
quito parque ejido alquiler departamento

...and you will get a number of hits.

You can also use Locanto for Quito:

https://quito.locanto.com.ec/

Look under INMOBILIARIA and click on  the first line, Departamentos en arriendo, for apartments.  Click on Casas en arriendo, the fourth line down, for houses.  You can get an idea of prices this way.

Just as a rough approximation, if the size of the apartment/house is given in square meters, multiply by 11 to get the size in square feet (the conversion factor is actually about 10.76).  And that's an easy calculation because you can first multiply by 10 and then just add the size in meters.  So a 96 m² apartment is about 960 + 96 or 1056 ft².

You could also look at a map and use the name of a nearby neighborhood in your search for apartments.  Here is a map in Spanish but it has the names of the barrios or neighborhoods around Parque El Ejido to use in your search:

https://mapcarta.com/es/26578804

So for instance you could do internet searches for
quito alquiler departamento la alameda   or
quito alquiler departamento mariscal sucre  or for houses
quito alquiler casa san blas  etc.

Here are a few tips...

1.  A 40-minute walk from Parque el Ejido:  that covers a lot of territory, including all of Gringo-friendly Mariscal sector and a lot more.  See if you can find a place near the Ecovía public transit line, because nobody wants to walk 80 minutes round-trip too often .. and there are desirable neighborhoods near that line.

2.  Many Internet listings are more expensive than deals you can find when your boots are on the ground.  When you get to Quito, look for offerings in the local newspapers .. and walking around in preferred neighborhoods.  Signs in windows may say 'Para Arrendar' or 'Para Aquilar' or 'Aquilo', with a phone number.  Check with the doorman/guards sometimes called vigilantes (bee-hee-LAHN-tays) at apartment buildings .. or rental offices there.

3.  When you get to Quito, learn which neighborhoods are flat and which are hilly.  Because if you have to walk 40 minutes to get somewhere at 9300 feet elevation .. you don't want to overdo it with uphill climbs.

4.  Avoid South Quito, which -- by my reckoning -- is reachable on foot from Parque el Ejido in under 40 minutes.

5.  Re-think the whole 40-minute thing.  Besides a few homeless (Expats) and maybe the occasional fitness fanatic, nobody's regularly walking 40 minutes to get to a public park in la capital.

cccmedia

Maybe you can find an "American rental agent."  Maybe not.

So bone up on your Spanish before the trip .. and by that I mean, intensify your daily studies .. and learn the apartment rental lingo...

apartment .. el departamento

size.. el tamaño

three bedrooms, two bathrooms .. tres dormitorios, dos baños

no more than $1,500 a month .. no más que mil quinientos dólares por mes

gets a lot of sun .. recibe mucho sol

neighborhood .. el vecindario

at 40-minutes distance on foot .. a distancia
                         de cuarenta minutos a pie (PEE-ay)

close to the Ecovía .. cerca de la Ecovía

safe, not dangerous .. seguro, no peligroso

convenient to a Supermaxi or Megamaxi market...
    conveniente para Mercado Supermaxi o Megamaxi

near a school for the kids .. cerca de una escuela para los niños

-- cccmedia

You will have to make a choice on furnished or unfurnished. 

The factors include how long you might be staying, your budget, how much time you might devote to furniture and appliance hunting, how you feel about a particular neighborhood and location for shopping, schools, medical needs, restaurants and entertainment. 

----

Mariscal sector has practically everything a Gringo family needs, except maybe a hospital (the great Hospital Metropolitano is perhaps a short taxi ride away).  Just up the hill from the Ecovía line and the Mariscal limits are upscale neighborhoods with amenities Gringos like.  Just don't expect a swimming pool at most complexes. 

Tenis is another upscale neighborhood, probably best for families who own cars and relish the sporting life (tennis, golf, swimming). 

----

I bought my condo many years ago (in pre-construction) in Centro Histórico, largely because I got a great purchase deal.  Rents have historically been lower there.  But outside the fancy hotels near the presidential palace (five blocks from my place), nobody speaks English. 

The best supermarkets for Gringos are not in El Centro.  Of course, with the new service Rappi (deliveries), which I will be trying soon, one may be able to get food deliveries* to your door en una manera muy conveniente.  Hilliness is another factor that may discourage Gringo arrivals from settling in El Centro.

cccmedia

*In the pre-Rappi era I found that only pizza and chicken places delivered restaurant food to my block despite its location between La Basílica, an iconic Gothic cathedral, and the revered Plaza de la Independencia.  Rappi apparently delivers restaurant food, supermarket foods and much more.

Thank you so much!