Hungarian Document help!

Hi!

My Mother recently passed away in Budapest. I am currently living in Utah, USA, and received an official letter from Budapest II regarding her death, but I don't speak or read Hungarian, and don't know what my responsibilities are or what to do next!

I am looking for anyone that can possibly help me to understand this document that is familiar with what I must do? I have tried emailing the person shown on the document, but have received no response from it or help on the phone.

Is there anyone willing and able to help me here?

Thanks much!
Randy

I can help with the translation, feel free to send a scan of the document in a PM.

Thank you much for responding!

I am going to go to Budapest in 2 weeks to take care of the details! So rather than wasting anyone's time (much appreciate the offer though!), I think best it gets handled this way~

Best!
Randy

So sorry for your loss.

Thank you Marilyn. She was 98! She had a wonderful life.

I do not know quite what I should do about taking care of the final details. I am her only living relative.

I have Hungarian citizenship, and could travel to Budapest if that is the right thing for me to do! This document is 14 pages long, and requires me to fill in many details. If there is any real property involved, perhaps it would be better for me to go there. I tried calling the number on the document, but nobody there speaks English, so that didn't help much!

randy.moller wrote:

Thank you Marilyn. She was 98! She had a wonderful life.

I do not know quite what I should do about taking care of the final details. I am her only living relative.

I have Hungarian citizenship, and could travel to Budapest if that is the right thing for me to do! This document is 14 pages long, and requires me to fill in many details. If there is any real property involved, perhaps it would be better for me to go there. I tried calling the number on the document, but nobody there speaks English, so that didn't help much!

Under normal circumstances coming here would be the right thing to do but with C-19 I'd try to get more info first before coming here.
I know very little about these things but our HU neighbor passed about 8 months ago at age 86.
From what we know the hospital or the GP will give the funeral home the documents to get on with a burial or cremation. Don't ask how we know but we talked to a women in a cremation office in Budapest a few months back trying to help someone with an issue. It cost about $400. for a simple cremation here, the urns that I saw out for sale were about $80. each, nothing fancy mind you.
It seemed rather cut and dry and not too complicated with HU citizens, different story for none citizens and paperwork here.
Right now sad to say they probably just have her in the morgue until the funeral home contacts them.
I may be wrong how this goes but that's what I believe happens with a HU citizen here.
Hope you can get someone to help translate thse 14 pages for you so you have more understanding of what to do.
You are in the same situation our son would be in, a HU citizen but doesn't know much Hungarian and can't read it. Maybe someone in the US can speak Hungarian and help you read the papers?
If you plan on coming to Hungary then get ready to stay a while.Not sure if they will have you in the 10 quarantine or not.
As far as proerty goes, you might need some legal help here. Then again it could be you can hire an agent to sort it out without being here?
The funeral home could possibly take care of your mother's remains by either shipping them to you or keeping them here in Hungary, whatever her wishes were.

Hi Marilyn,

I've heard from others that the covid situation in HU is bad, and all of EU actually. I have been fully vaccinated, so I'm not too concerned for my own safety.

I have contacted a couple that can do the translation, so just waiting on that. Also, my son in San Diego has an HU friend that is looking at the document also. Hopefully I'll have some clarification soon!

I am more convinced now that the trip will most likely be necessary, as some of the possessions she had are very fragile and would need extra care. I don't trust that these would be properly protected.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I appreciate your insight!

Best~