Retirement in spain

Hello,

I would like to ask for advice about moving to Spain. My wife and I are 75 years old and we want to buy a property in Spain and live near the beach, which areas do you recommend?

The lawyer we have has recommended Malaga, Marbella and Alicante. What do you think? She has told us that it is cheap and has a very good climate.

On the other hand we are trying to get the golden visa, here you can read about it, explained by our lawyer.

https://myspainvisa.com/golden-visa-spain/

Is there anything we should be aware of? Has anyone got this visa before?

Thanks and Regards!

If  you are  European citizens, you don't need visa to live in Spain. The cheapest place and with the best climate is Gran Canaria, Canary Islands. If you need help in translating your documents or any other formalities , I may help you. I'm a professional translator from English to Spanish and, of course, I live in Gran Canaria, Spain.
Best regards, Roberto

Hi , we live near to Alicante , personally we quite like the area Alicante city is interesting with many bars and shops etc , are you thinking of living in the city or on an urbanisation in the Alicante region , ( there is one quite near Alicante city and the airport called Gran Alicant

cssolar wrote:

Hi , we live near to Alicante , personally we quite like the area Alicante city is interesting with many bars and shops etc , are you thinking of living in the city or on an urbanisation in the Alicante region , ( there is one quite near Alicante city and the airport called Gran Alicant

What are the best neighborhoods to live in alicante city? i was looking at "playa de san juan" is it a good neighborhood? what other neighborhood do you recommend withou car? because i would have to get my driver's license in Spain

Yes San Juan is very nice it has a beautiful beach ,  sorry not too sure about other good areas in Alicante city , Alicante seems more historic than San Jaun which is very modern

Thank you very much for your response! If anyone knows any nice places, please let me know

If you like beaches with surf, Cádiz on the Atlantic coast of Andalucía in the far south is stunning!
Old historic city and a new city built alongside 6km of ocean beach.
Good transport to the other 5 cities of the Bahia de Cadiz urban area, long distance trains to Sevilla and Madrid several times a day
Airport at Jerez de la Frontera, the area is the home of Flamenco, sherry and other delights.
The coast stays cooler here but can go to 35-36,

Captgs wrote:

If you like beaches with surf, Cádiz on the Atlantic coast of Andalucía in the far south is stunning!
Old historic city and a new city built alongside 6km of ocean beach.
Good transport to the other 5 cities of the Bahia de Cadiz urban area, long distance trains to Sevilla and Madrid several times a day
Airport at Jerez de la Frontera, the area is the home of Flamenco, sherry and other delights.
The coast stays cooler here but can go to 35-36,

Thanks for the information!

How's water temperature swimming-wise along the coast?
I guess Atlantic coast water is much cooler than on East coast, and for the East coast there must be some differences (down south Alboran Sea water must be cooler because of Gibraltar? is there any difference along the East coast going North? etc)
The goal is to have as much time through the year for swimming as possible AND not too much hot in summer AND not too chilly in winter  :)
Is it possible?
Thank you!

Cádiz is the place in my opinion.
It is the Atlantic but summer water temps are fine.
The beaches do not get as crowded as the East Coast and it is not as hot as inland Andalucía.
Sevilla regularly goes over 40 but is a lovely place to visit in the spring and Autumn.
There are several trains per day from Cádiz to or the other stations in the Bahia de Cádiz area to.Sevilla or Madrid, Cordoba etc.
The area has an International community but not as visible as the East Coast.

We are retired here and lived for the first year in Oliva, about an hour south of Valencia. There are beautiful beaches there, not as touristy and crowded as some other places. Also more Spanish -- there are some UK ex-pats living there of course, but not as many as in Cadiz and Malaga. We love it here.

Zdravich wrote:

We are retired here and lived for the first year in Oliva, about an hour south of Valencia. There are beautiful beaches there, not as touristy and crowded as some other places. Also more Spanish -- there are some UK ex-pats living there of course, but not as many as in Cadiz and Malaga. We love it here.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I need to check this area :)

Make sure that you look around with different estate agents & use your own solicitors., a lot are not to be trusted, especially if they work together Many properties are illegally built & are still sold, but you end up with having to try & sort the legalities out, which you may never be able to do, or will cost a lot of money.
The Marbella area & coast in the Costa Del Sol, is expensive, but cheaper if you buy inland.

Golden Visa is very expensive route to residence. As retirees there are much cheaper ways of achieving it.

Alicante (and the 200km of the Costa Blanca) is a popular area with many nice places to live.

We are in Elche, a more typical Spanish city (and UNESCO listed for its palm groves) a few minutes inland from Alicante-Elche airport, Alicante city proper, and some very nice beaches. We have enjoyed it.