Moving With My Kitten To Jordan

I am taking my pet kitten Faten with me to Jordan next month; i have attained the proper permit. I know however that cats are treated more or less like squirrels in this country, and pet care centers are like needles in a haystack. She will need proper shots and etc, as well as food and products while we live here. Does anyone know where I can find these?

We use a wonderful vet named Dr. Moaid (speaks English very well) and has taken great care of our kitty. He also has food supplies (Royal Canin brand cat food) and high quality kitty litter. His clinic is called PetCharm located in Abdoun. You can find him on Facebook for more info. or let me know if you'd like his phone number.

You will also find less expensive cat food and pet supplies (litter) at supermarkets like Cozmo, Safeway, even CTown, and Miles. I hope you and your kitty will adjust well to living in Jordan! :)

Thanks! Abdoun is where the US Embassy is located, isn't that right? Pricey part of town, but an experienced vet is a plus. My husband doesn't understand the need for an animal doc, and all the accoutrements for kitties (litter box completely throws him) so it would be nice to get in. Do you have his contact info? And is there a Safeway close to there in Amman? Thanks so much!

There is a Safeway and many pet shops also in Irbid, i'm pretty sure there should be a lot of vets since many are in the farming business around that area .. it might be more accommodating being closer than Amman...

Captain Jaw Breaker wrote:

There is a Safeway and many pet shops also in Irbid, i'm pretty sure there should be a lot of vets since many are in the farming business around that area .. it might be more accommodating being closer than Amman...

I have looked everywhere in the Irbid area for Vetinary Service's.There simply aren't any.The closest I found was a University for Vet medicine,but no active Vetinary Doctors or clinic's for pets.Not for cats,or dogs or anything.I want a cat really badly,but I can't get one because there is nowhere I could take the cat to have it's shots,or have it 'fixed'.(Don't want a male cat spraying everything,or the insanity of a female in heat).Sure you could go to Safeway for supplies for the animal,but not for health of the animal.Sorry.It's a big bummer for me too because I've always had a couple of cats.But since moving here to Jordan..it's just not possible. :-(

At safeway I did find supplies for cats, albeit not many. There is a vet in Abdoun in Amman (a very western area, hence the prices of the apartments) who apparently also sells supplies. Don't lose heart! Also, don't bring over a cat from another country if you're looking to have one to avoid the vet hassle. Cats here don't experience the same maladies of western felines simply due to a built up immunity out of being feral for so long. Adopt a kitten of the jordanian variety and just give it a flea collar :) Faten ended up staying with my mom :( but my husband surprised me with a kitten in Ramtha and I couldn't be happier with lil Firdaus! The fleas were easily dealt with. :)

My husband surprised me today by taking me to one of the local pet shops in Irbid city,where we got the most beautiful kitten.:DThe pet shop owner gave me a card for a vet doc.,I believe is in Irbid.I can't read Arabic,husband is not here at the moment,but when he is able to translate what's written on the card,I will share with everyone here.The kitten is this beautiful little female..When she is old enough,I want to have her 'fixed' so she doesn't go into heat.She will be a strictly in door cat.I couldn't believe how calm she was when I gave her first bath(she was in not so clean cage).She's very mellow so far.I'm sure soon though,she'll 'find her feet' and running around our home soon.Already,after her bath,she was playing with rolled up balls of tissue.;)

We adopted a street kitten here in Ramtha, a beautiful calico. She hates baths! :D I won't fix her yet; she's too beautiful; I'd like to breed her so that other expats can have such beautiful little kittens! When you find out where that vet is, lemme know, eh? :)

NouraAlkhazaleh wrote:

We adopted a street kitten here in Ramtha, a beautiful calico. She hates baths! :D I won't fix her yet; she's too beautiful; I'd like to breed her so that other expats can have such beautiful little kittens! When you find out where that vet is, lemme know, eh? :)

Dr.Isra Soultan VET phone number:0796248262 We're taking my kitty who has developed some sort of skin irritation and to be fixed to the VET tomorrow.I spoke with her on the phone.She is located near the Arabella Mall in Irbid.She seemed quite lovely on the phone.She can speak English and of course,Arabic.She said she is open 6 days a week,taking only Friday off,but is available on Fridays for emergency care.My kitten must be weird because she LOVES baths!:D

umhalil wrote:

My kitten must be weird because she LOVES baths!:D

Egyptian Mau's like water, so she's typical of her breed. My cat is a longhair calico, she'd naturally hate it. So do our tabby boys. Thanks for the #; I may need it to see if my lil boy Hawkeye has a bladder infection.

NouraAlkhazaleh wrote:
umhalil wrote:

My kitten must be weird because she LOVES baths!:D

Egyptian Mau's like water, so she's typical of her breed. My cat is a longhair calico, she'd naturally hate it. So do our tabby boys. Thanks for the #; I may need it to see if my lil boy Hawkeye has a bladder infection.

We just came back from visiting with the Vet in Irbid.A very lovely woman.It's too early for my Samera to be fixed,but the Vet treated her skin irritation.I'm very glad actually that I don't have to go a night without her.I hope Hawkeye will be fine soon.This vet is so sweet! She was showing my husband and I pictures on her computer of her Persian cat. :)

so there is a vet after all... wonders never seize to exist ... or exit for that matter :)

Captain Jaw Breaker wrote:

so there is a vet after all... wonders never seize to exist ... or exit for that matter :)

Yes! But I didn't find her where I had been looking, on the inter net.It wasn't until we went to the Pet Shop and got a business card for her from the owner of the shop.:cool: