English speaking psychotherapist in Umbria

Hello All,
I am considering moving to Umbria for just one year to experience living in another country. I have traveled to Italy twice and I found it remarkably beautiful. My life partner is fluent in Italian, and spent his summers in Italy growing up, visiting his Italian mother's family. I am a licensed clinical social worker here in the States, and I had the idea that I may be able to practice in Italy by seeing self pay clients, and labeling what I do consultation. I understand that to practice as a licensed professional I would have to jump through many hoops, and it doesn't seem worth the effort for one year. I am curious if any of you have any feedback on whether there would be demand for an English speaking therapist? Would ex-pats in Italy be willing to pay out of pocket for such a service? I would imagine that it would be nice to meet with a therapist who understands your cultural background when living far away from home, but maybe I am wrong about that? What region/town in Umbria would have enough US ex-pats for me to find a client base? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I am seeing this as a five year plan, so I have a lot of time to figure it out.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You may want to read this document (link) before you take this any further.  The document is 10 years old, so things may have changed, but at the very least it tells you that you need to check if your qualifications are recognised and also many countries require medical professionals to speak the countries mother language (so, Italian) at a very high level.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team