Vaccines required in Spain

Hello everybody,

When living or moving abroad, and in particular in Spain, vaccination against certain diseases is often required to enter the country or to avoid risks.

We would like to ask you a few questions to help future expats there.

What is your relationship to vaccines in general?

Did you get vaccinated before moving to Spain?
Were these vaccinations compulsory or recommended?

Did you refuse to get any vaccine that was recommended for Spain? If so, why?

If you are an expatriate in Spain, are you encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine? Do you have access to the vaccine and do you plan to get it?

Is this vaccine required for entering the country now?

Many thanks,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

‘Like the Spanish authorities' I am not sure when, as an 81 year old In andalucia,  I will be called for a my covid jab.

I think it maybe around April / May.

Hi there Diksha,

I have been living in northwestern Spain (Galicia) for almost 11 years.

I came to work for an international organisation.  Now I work from home as a UN consultant.

I have permanent resident status.

I've never been required to have any kind of vaccination or to prove that I have been vaccinated against any kind of illness.

It would be interesting to see whether others on this forum have had different experiences.

Cheers,

Glenn

Oh I forgot...

On COVID, I would prefer not to have the vaccine unless obliged.

Cheers,

Glenn

Never been asked about vaccines. I'll be moving to Spain in July however, and would like to know the situation for vaccinations in Spain. I'm currently working in china, which is now a low risk country. Any thoughts? Cheers. Lex

I've lived in Spain since 1999
Never been asked about a vaccination or told I need any.

Hi Johncar, I would like to ask you a question  - are you in the public health system and if so how did you register? Me and my husband have private health insurance and are legal residents in Seville. Last week we went to  2  local public health clinics and also to the Consejeria de Salud, to ask how to  register with them only for the vaccine purpose, because otherwise  no one has our contacts to announce us to show up when the vaccine becomes available for our age group. Unfortunately the people we talked to didn´t seems to know about any vaccination plan for expats. Did you have a better experience? Thanks.

Hi Christina

I paid into the National health service in U.K.  until I retired.

Because of that I was entitled to ‘free health cover' in Spain using the S1 form system.   

That means the health service in U.K. pay the Spanish regional health service around 5,000 euros a year for my ‘free to me' cover.

We (64 and 54) have been living in Galicia for over 5 years now.
Vaccinations were not necessary until today when the regional Galician parliament - as first in Spain - passed a law that allows government to mandate corona tests and vaccinations.
This is why we are leaving the country this spring.

Hi dikshaw

Please visit https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinatio … none/spain and https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/ciudadanos/ … o/home.htm for details.
Me personally, I don't  remember any specific vaccination for adult travellers except for some origins with too many cases of TB, Hepatitis, Rabia 
Similarly no specific vaccines are required to visit this country, however, the Spanish Tourism Institute recommends that visitors have the Tetanus vaccine if they plan to be in contact with nature and the rural environment during their trip, in addition to the aforementioned routine vaccinations.

Hope this will help

About covid-vaccine. Yes it is recommended but so far its only available for old age and front line workers

Thank you Johncar.

Paperdetective

You are jumping the gun I think.

Extract from :-

http://www.surinenglish.com/national/20 … 21539.html

“The legislation does not have the approval of the central government, which, although it supports encouraging mass inoculation by all means, believes that this proposal to modify the Health Law violates fundamental rights and contradicts national regulations. This opinion is shared by opposition parties as well as by numerous lawyers.“

What is the latest news re. Vaccines for people with private insurance?
It has been impossible to get any info. from the Social health service.?
Friends of mine -in their 80's are very worried. This includes Spanish and foreign
residents.?

Get the vaccine to protect yourself and others.  Nothing else matters!

Gattus.

I have friends from the US that are permanent residents. The vaccine is distributed by the national health service. You need to register and get a temporary SIP card. They then call you. That's what my friends did.

Hello,
I am a resident of the Canary Islands, but last year I came back to Poland due to Covid-related problems.
As for the vaccines: I was never asked about the vaccines I have taken either as a child or as an adult and as far as I know, it is not even obligatory to vaccinate children in Spain (though I am not sure if it depends on a province or not).
Not even my GP ever asked me about that.
Spain is not a high-risk country (or should I say "was" because of COVID now) so nobody used to check any vaccines, at least if you travelled from Shoengen.

Apparently you can register for the vaccine even with only private insurance. Here is a good article for info:  https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog/ex … id-19.html

Of course you can register for the vaccine, it's free for everyone the world over, that's the point of a pandemic vaccine!

There's much talk these days about a vaccine passport. I personally don't see the need for it. Worse yet, it's discriminatory, as a large part of the world doesn't have access to vaccines and may not for a long time to come. As for practical considerations, how would standardization occur among all the competing agencies and bodies supposedly developing these? And what about virus mutations requiring periodic booster injections? How would one keep one's passport up to date?

A much simpler and equitable solution is to continue the practice that many countries already follow, that is, requiring a simple PCR test shortly before entering the country. So the solution is to make the tests simple, cheap and fast, so that they could be given anywhere.

I think the points in this post matches my ideal solition, we all already have a passport , so if we need to travel around the world why not adapt this to hold a register of your vaccines and testing..am sure with the technology we have a small chip will suffice..