General Questions on Relocating, Visa and any tips in general!

Hello lovely people!

A little backstory: I am a 29 half British/Dutch woman who has been lucky enough to live in all kinds of countries. I moved back to the Netherlands from Dubai due to covid19 and unable to find work I am back with my family (parents and 25 year old sister) and we all came to the conclusion that this European weather will no longer do. We need sun! and flipflops! Originally the plan was to move to Cape Town but the visa process is laughable so our plan b was Mauritius as we have spent many holidays there and absolutely loved it.

My parents will take the retirement visa route, but for my sister and I, I was wondering what would be the best option in terms of Visa as we would like to all stay in the same country (funds are not problem). Can my sister and I come on a tourist visa and eventually apply for a working permit, or if we wanted to work freelance is there a route for that? Can this all be applied for within Mauritius or do you have to leave the country and come back? What is the job market like for expats?

Another major question is... we have 4 globe trotting cats that we will take with us. Can anyone tell me where to find a reliable checklist on what we need for their import to Mauritius from Europe and how long the whole process takes or what to expect

Again, any other tidbits of useful information or tips (like healthcare, best areas to live, places to meet people etc.) would be super appreciated!

Bonjour

Check out the premium visa.
With the PV you have one year to decide what you want to do. It allows you to stay for one year and you can even apply for another one a year later.
As I know you don't have to leave the country for any new application.

Cheers, Sandra

Hi there,

The Premium Visa looks like a pretty good option.
I will be doing the same as soon as the UK gets its' act together with COVID and we're allowed to travel again.
I've lived on 3 continents so far, and hope to make Mauritius my fourth.
Good luck with the move.

Tim

Hello everyone and welcome frecklesparr  :)

Well, if you come on a tourist visa and eventually land a job, you will have to leave Mauritius so that your occupation/work permit can be processed.

I would suggest that you download the Living in Mauritius guide and go through the articles on Occupation permit/work permit and work.

The Premium Visa in Mauritius might be an option, however to qualify for the Premium visa there are some conditions :

- The applicants should not enter the Mauritius Labour market;
- The main place of business and source of income and profits should be outside Mauritius;
- Documentary evidence to support application such as purpose of visit, accommodation etc.; and
-  Other basic immigration requirements.

More info :  https://www.edbmauritius.org/premium-visa

As for pets, please contact the authorities for updated infos (It seems that you are allowed one pet per permit - to be confirmed):

Ministry of Agro-Industry & Food security division of veterinary services - REDUIT
TEL NO: 466 6662    FAX: (230) 4642210   EMAIL: moa-dvs@mail.govmu.org

Regards,
Anoushka