Malta Citizenship by Descent (Grandfather)

My main question is: Would my Maltese born grandfather, need to have been married to my South African born grandmother in order for me and my father (who were both South African born) to qualify for Malta Citizenship by Descent?

Want to apply for Malta citizenship through descent

I was South African born, as was my father.

However, my grandfather was born in Malta as was his parents and generations before them.

I have basically all documentation needed to apply, except my grandfather's marriage certificate.

Due to South African government being a nightmare when it comes to finding documentation, we have been unable to track down my paternal grandfather's marriage certificate.

That is a very good question. I know the identity office in Malta asks for marriage certificates, but I'm not sure why, whether they're trying to ascertain "legitimate" heritage (i.e., born in wedlock) or simply using that as some sort of proxy to say, "Ok, they were married, you're most likely a descendent with Maltese blood." I wonder if your father's birth certificate, listing your grandfather as his father at birth, would be enough. You should write to the identity office in Malta to investigate. In the meantime, as tough as it is, continue trying to get that marriage certificate. If possibly, find an alternative, such as a church marriage record (if applicable).

Hi Felixjer...Thank you for your reply.

I've also been wondering about that as to why they would need that....

I can prove throug documentation (birth records) and more importantly, Surname (after all Grech being thee most common Maltese surname there is) that my father is related to my grandfather by birth.

Do you perhaps know what would be best way to get hold of Identity Malta?

When I was working on this for myself, the identity office was pretty quick to respond by email. If you submit a message through their site, they should respond soon; if I remember correctly, my inquiries were answered after roughly three days.

Excellent. Thank you.

Let me email them and find out.

Think I tried emailing them before, but had no response.

Am also int contact with Genealogist in Malta that can hopefully help me shed some light.

Take a look at the Malta DNA page on Facebook, loads of helpful people on there with a list of resources.

You will need to message the admin to join.

Best of luck 👍