Need advice on NIF and what documents to provide Finanças

Hi,  I need to go to Finanças soon to get my NIF.   They informed me that I should have a proof off address of some kind.  Now,  because I am renting a room without a contract,  I have no name on a rental contract nor a name on a utilities bill in Portugal. 

But I was also informed about the fact that Finanças would be ok in accepting a Belgian utility bill, as till 12/2020 I have lived in Belgium in a house. 

So,  the question actually is.  Would Finanças accept a ultility bill like water or elektricity from my home in Belgium?  (while I do not have the home in property anymore because it is sold,  and I came to Portugal to build a life). 

Enyone has actual experience in obtaining a NIF and what type of documentation they accept in terms of proof of address?

Thanks

Tom

We got ours with a Tax declaration from France, so i suppose that a Belgian Declaration should be good to.

Hello, I am from Spain and I went to Finanças  2 years ago to get my NIF.  They asked me for my address and I gave them my address in Spain, the address in my spanish civil ID or passport. I received my NON RESIDENT NIF. Then with this NIF I could rent an apartment in Portugal with one year contract. Once I have my address in Portugal I change my NIF from non resident to a resident.

Good luck

Maria

Hi Tom & All, Welcome  :)

Tom, you can request the NIF at any tax office or citizen's shop as follows:

1) If you are resident in a EU country, as is/was your case, all you need to present is your identity card /citizen card and proof of address (utility bill) of your residence in Europe.

2) If you are resident in a country outside the EU, you will have to appoint a tax representative in Portugal, who must be a Portuguese citizen or have permanent residence in Portugal. For example, he may be a Portuguese accountant/solicitor, or someone who you know and trust.

But since you have already sold your house in Belgium and are now in Portugal, why not ask your landlord who rented you the room in Portugal to be your tax representative, or someone you know, even if expat, but living in Portugal? Or then hire a Portuguese accountant to make that request on your behalf through the e-balcão facility:

https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt … cao.action

If you give your old address in Belgium, where now lives someone you know little and with whom you probably don't have any relationship, it is not a good idea, because that person in Belgium will receive correspondence from the Portuguese Tax Authority that is addressed to you (such as passwords to access the finance portal...)

Attention:
due to the pandemic, you have to make an appointment by phone 217 206 707