New members of the Senegal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Senegal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Senegal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello! Me and my husband are planning to move to Dakar in July/August 2021. We'll be working at the International School of Dakar. I'm also a yoga instructor and would love to teach a few classes. We have lived 'overseas' (I'm originally Dutch and my husband British) since 1995, in Africa, and Asia mostly. Spent a few years back in the Netherlands and felt it was time for another travel/work adventure. Looking forward to join the happy expat life again, exploring a new country, in a part of Africa we've not been before yet. At the moment we're looking at where we'd like to live in Dakar, and what we need to bring, finding out what is easily available locally. Traveling light is the aim. Any advice or comments welcome. Thanks, Marion

Good morning ... i will be happy to help you fpr everything you want in your future experience in Dakar . I'm from senegal 27 and ready to welcome you ☺

Hello Marion,

Interesting to hear you're moving to Senegal next academic year.  My name is Laila and I'm from Egypt, I'm moving to Dakar to work at International School of Dakar too on August2021.
I'm a high school Math teacher, and have a teenage daughter. I will be nice to get in touch, and know more about the country and its whereabouts.

Hear from you soon
Laila

Hi my name is Viviana,

I live in Dakar. I am happy to be in this community.

I would like to plece an announce about puppies for adoption, please let me know if this is possible. Kind regards.

Hi everyone i'm Mohamed from somalia I'm planning to move to dakar for some reasons and tourism if it's possible I need a help

Hello,

I'm interested in doing business in Senegal, and will be visiting sometime this year for my personal assessment of the market.

Cheers,
Mo

Hi,
I made my first visit to Dakar just last month and I really enjoyed it. I am a mother of 6 children, 4 are school aged. I am considering relocating to Senegal for a portion of the year and returning to the US a few months out the year. Schooling is one concern. My children have been homeschooled in the US, and we are basically "unschoolers." This year was our first year in a school setting, but the school was democratic and very self-directed. I am not aware of any schools like this in Dakar, I see that there are some democratic schools in South Africa and other parts of Africa, but I am unsure this movement has traveled to Senegal. If anyone is aware of expat communities with cooperative education models, I'd love to learn more. Or, if people are interested, I'd love to work with others to create something. I am also an educator and would love to bring educational "nooks" to Senegalese children and expats in Senegal.

Do you have puppies or want puppies? If you have some, what kind of pups are they?

personal0173 wrote:

Hi my name is Viviana,

I live in Dakar. I am happy to be in this community.

I would like to plece an announce about puppies for adoption, please let me know if this is possible. Kind regards.

Viviana,

Do you have puppies or want puppies? If you have some, what kind of pups are they?

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : wrong language + wrong forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am currently residing in the metro Atlanta area and my husband is from Africa.  I am licensed in the medical field over 20 years and looking at various locations to relocate abroad within 1 year considering Senegal and Ghana for a more relaxing peaceful like and to get out of US which is mired in turmoil and racism.

Hello.
I would love to connect.
I'm also an educator and focus on children sex education .. so content creation around consent etc .. I have children Friendly posters.

Would be nice to connect and see how we can collaborate

Hi,

Landed in Senegal 2.5 monts ago or so. French. Based in Dakar. 56 yrs old. Working at the ministry of higher Ed, research and innovation.

Looking for basketball players for fun (not for competition)
Looking for a car (Small SUV will do).
Looking for discovering the country.

Like going out at evenings for  drinks, a dinner, fun with friends, enjoying life...

Best regards
Michel

Hi I am coming soon in July and I would like meet people as well for fun discovery have good time

Hi everyone,

I'm here since may 2021 and i'm not in dakar i'm in kaolack for 1 year. So if you want to discover something different than dakar contact me. If there is People in kaolack let's get in touch to do some activities.

Hi there!

I am new here, too. Looking forward to connecting nd sharing with you.

I am Senegalese and I speak english, french and Wolof.

Hi Lyne,

Welcome in my country. Please be aware that Wolof is the lingua franca here.

Therefore you might need some basic words before you arrive. Hopefully, I might be able to help you with this.

Have a nice trip in advance !

Hi Doc,

How are you doing?
I hope you are enjoying Dakar. I am a teacher of english here and I think I might need to practice english with you.

Looking forward to connecting with you.

Regards,
Ba

Hi I'm a British nurse who is traveling to near Velingera in early 2022 with my husband to his grandfather's village where we plan to build our home and live permanently.
Has anyone any advice re shipping household furniture and belongings from the UK. Should we be looking to ship to Dakar or Ziguinchor or even Banjul Gambia?
Experiences and advice welcome, thanks in advance.

Hello
You should shop for your freight services carefully and also keep in mind that many things are useful here when you think they aren't and vice versa
Shopping for a land is hard and there's a lot of crooks in that field.
Things are slower here and often blurred nothing is happening like you would expect.
I made the move from canada 11 months ago so I am aware of this reality. Feel free to send me a message

Aimee

Hello
I live in Saly just moved from Canada with husband and son
Let me know if you want to communicate
Aimee

Hello,
I am Diarra and I live in Dakar.
I love meeting new people so feel free to contact me ^^

Hello  I am Hadija my husband and I are planning to live in Senegal, hopefully next year. Best wishes with all your engagements . Would love to talk further with you about your journey as you live daily.

Hi everyone,

My name is Idongesit, I'm 27 and Nigerian. I just moved to senegal. I'm an Artist and a travel Photographer. I also have experience as a digital marketer and social media manager. I will be working with an NGO called Art and Soul of Africa. I'm interested in working with upcoming artists and filmmakers. I hope to meet exciting people in Dakar and also hope to visit more amazing places. I've been here for a week already and it's been fun. However, I'm available to work in the areas I've mentioned above. Enchanté!

Senegal is calm to do business. Feel free and be positive.

Hi
I am in the forum since July and I never received any answer and help
You just move in Sally and me I planned to come next summer to leave
Could you give me some advice about house how did you find that how life is it going is it difficult to leave overthere alone and also basic things of life please

Hi lynepierre6288,
sorry no one answered you. Are you already in Dakar since July? If you are still planning to come during summer, here are some housing websites deals today

- https://www.expat-dakar.com/appartements-a-louer,https://deals.jumia.sn/appartements-a-louer,https://dakarvente.com/annonces-categor … r-10.html,https://sn.coinafrique.com/categorie/chambres,https://www.facebook.com/pages/category … maison.sn/

About leaving alone here, it is quiet simple to leave alone and you will enjoy it because you will be free. Senegal is calm. Basic things like electricity, water road, food etc. I think these basic things are ok. 24 hours non stop electricity and water. Nice road when it is not raining and food is ok too. I think you can afford it.
Just be positive , smart and you can make it.
Emmanuel

Dear Blaq,
Welcome, i am also from Imo State. I live and work here with my wife. I hope you are enjoying yourself bros?
Do have a nice day
Emmanuel

Hello!!.. I'm Dongmo Aïcha.
I'm a general practitioner actually practicing in Cameroon.
I will like to do my specialization in radiology in Senegal.
I would like to know the feasibility and if possible the modalities...
Thank you

Dongmo, I am new to the group. Can't answer your questions but I am sending you a Hello Welcome.
I am in the UK but I am hoping to settle in Senegal with my husband next year. He is Senegalese.

Best wishes in your search.

Hadija

Hi, I think you should contact the school you want to study with online and ask for the information.
Emmanuel

Hi
I would like to communicate
So let's introduice ourself
I will move next year in senegal too

Hello,  I am Hadija and I currently living in the UK. Hoping to relocate to Senegal ( living in hope) soon.
My husband is Senegalese. We have land in a village that we plan to farm.

Hello Julien,
I have been posting because we plan to relocate to Warang next year. We have land that we hope to farm.
I am from the Caribbean and I am aware that Senegal has a growing diasporaian community, whom I would like to connect with.
Would appreciate if anyone can give me information please.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hadija

Hello , how are you and family? Hoping that all is going well in health and with your plan to relocate to Senegal.
I am happy to read post from another UK resident. My husband is Senegalese and we are planning to relocate next year.
Would love to hear from you with a view to exchanging valuable information related to moving to Senegal.
Do you speak French or Wolof? Me neither though I have downloaded a Wolof language app and plan to get started soon.  Language is a bond therefore I definitely don't want to be in another country and to be at a disadvantage .
Going to get a cuppa and relax. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Hadija

Hello,  I hope that by now you have received a response to your post. I have not to a few of my post, and this is extremely frustrating.
Hoping that all is well with you tho. My suggestion is to keep positive and when you have a free 5mins, post because the odds are that 'somebody' will respond.
Have a great evening.

Hadija

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please only use English since this is an English-speaking forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Emmanuel,
Thanks for responding to Lynepierre6288 . Although we plan to build our home in the village it was useful to have a list of accomodation agencies in Dakar.
I keep these for reference because I am sure that we would be spending a weekend in Dakar.
If you have free time I would welcome a few reasonable priced bars/restaurants in Dakar. Or if possible direct me where to search, in English please.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Hadija

Hello
I'm currently living in Switzerland. My husband is from Senegal, we have two Kids and we would like to live at least for one year in Senegal to show the Kids their Dads origin country and for me to learn Wolof. We are looking for a good place to stay and I would be interrestet to find people which moved with Family to exchange experiences.
Have a nice day

Closed