African Americans Living In Senegal

With a small community of African Americans living in Senegal we are searching for other African Americans that may live in Senegal now or wish to move here in the future.  If you or someone you know is interested, please let us know.

Update August 2012:

I posted this blog a few years ago and was surprised to see how many people read the post -- over 5,000 -- Yeah!.

I have lived here for more than six years and have been able to integrate myself fairly well.  Don't worry about the language difference.  I did not speak Wolof or French when I first moved here and now I can communicate fairly well in Wolof.  You are not moving to the moon -- you are moving to a peaceful place in the motherland. You can have most of the things you need here. 

If you have skills that can be shared with the Senegalese people make a visit here and see if you can "see yourself" living here.

Possible business ventures for anyone thinking of living in Senegal.

Working with iron (making iron bars for windows and doors that can be fitted for screens)

Do you have building trade experience?  Most buildings are made of concrete – the absolutely cheapest and most widely used.

A fresh new approach to keeping mosquitoes out of a home.

Tools for almost any industry.

Chicken farm.

Automobile diagnostics.

Driver Training

Beauty school instructors in hair cutting, perms, manicures, etc.  Teaching women how to care for their natural hair.

Adult education.

Clothing manufacturing:  how to make patterns and training in sewing western style clothing according to sizes.

Private elementary, junior high and high school level education.  With standards that are equivalent to an American or European system.

New ideas!

Whatever your profession is – can you bring that expertise to Senegal?

Other Note:  Make sure you have enough funds to live on and create your business here.  There is no Small Business Association here.

Blessings,

Regla

Hi Regla

My name is Sosena, I am Ethiopian American and I am going to be moving to Dakar Senegal for about 3-4 months in February. I would love to meet you.

I had visited Senegal for a few days three years ago and loved it. I am now taking a short break from work (I am a physician by trade) and would like to improve my French ( I speak it some) and write

How should one go about finding a short term rental (either one bedroom or a studio)in Dakar? Is internet available in most apartments? Any tip you can give me would be terrific

Looking forward to hearing back from you

Sosena

I would love to live in Senegal one day and plan to take a trip there in the next 6 months. I was married to a Senegalese in NYC and love the culture and people

Hello army....

My name is Regina "Amina" Gaye.  Good to hear from you.  I live in La Somone, which is about 1-2 hours (depending on traffic) outside Dakar.  My husband and I have lived here for four years.  He is Senegalese.  We moved here from Los Angeles. 

Whenever you get the time, my email is:

[email protected]
to call from America cell:  011-221-77-408-3569.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Amina

Regards,

Hi, my name is Trina.  I am married to a Sene-Guinean. I plan to be in Senegal in January.  We will probably be staying in Golf.  I will be there for about 2 weeks and then in Guinea for 2 weeks.  It would be really nice to meet some African Americans while I'm there.

Hi Trina.  It would be nice to meet you and your husband.  Will you be staying in Saly Golf?  If so, we are only minutes away.  I live in Somone.  My phone number is 77-408-3569.  I am also on Skype at regina.gaye.  I will give you my email address when I speak with you.  Looking forward to meeting you both.  The young man that works for me is from Guinea.

Regards

Regina Gaye

Hello Everyone, I would like to meet and also be in touch with African Americans living in Senegal. I myself was married to a Senegalese. We had discussed once before about moving to Senegal, but have only recently been thinking about it again.

Please, this is all new to me, and I am trying to get as much information as I can about Senegal, and living there!

Thanks,
Joelyn

Hi Joelyn:

Good to hear from you.  My husband and I are retired (early).  We sold our house in Los Angeles and moved here.  We have one young one in the house that goes to an international school here in Somone.  The cost of living is almost exactly the same as the US.  However, labor is cheaper.  A lady to cook and clean may cost you about $70/80 You can expect to pay the same for food, electricity, water, telephone, internet, etc. as in the states.  Imported American or European food is very expensive.  A small box of Cheerios will cost $7.  Gasoline is around $5.20 per gallon for diesel.  Supreme gasoline is about $8/gallon.  Used cars are also very expensive.  In 2006 we paid $10,000 for a 1980 Mercedes Station Wagon and $7,500 for a 1982 Peugeot 405. 

There are many ways to lower your cost of living.

Do you speak French or Wolof?  It will be to your benefit to learn one of these languages.  I chose to learn Wolof.

There is so much to say.  If you can give me an idea of what you and your husband have been thinking about I can elaborate on what I know on that issue.

Are you retirement age?
Have you ever been to Senegal before?
Where would you like to live?
Do you have young children?

Regina

Hi Regina.  My husband and I will be in Senegal (and Gambia & Guinea) around the beginning of the year.  Although we are planning to stay in Golf (Dakar) we may be visiting Saly as well.  That's close to Mbour isn't it?

My husband is Guinean percussionist but he lived in Senegal for many years.  His mom's family is of Senegalese heritage.  He has 3 underaged children in West Africa while I have one adult child in the U.S..  Each child is from a previous marriage.  I work as an educator in South Florida.

I have been to Senegal many times before (as well as Gambia, Nigeria and Guinea).

I would love to hear more about your experiences being an American expat in Senegal.  I am considering making the move as well (probably closer to retirement).  I'm a little skeptical tho because I know that it's a big move.

regla wrote:

Hi Joelyn:

Good to hear from you.  My husband and I are retired (early).  We sold our house in Los Angeles and moved here.  We have one young one in the house that goes to an international school here in Somone.  The cost of living is almost exactly the same as the US.  However, labor is cheaper.  A lady to cook and clean may cost you about $70/80 You can expect to pay the same for food, electricity, water, telephone, internet, etc. as in the states.  Imported American or European food is very expensive.  A small box of Cheerios will cost $7.  Gasoline is around $5.20 per gallon for diesel.  Supreme gasoline is about $8/gallon.  Used cars are also very expensive.  In 2006 we paid $10,000 for a 1980 Mercedes Station Wagon and $7,500 for a 1982 Peugeot 405. 

There are many ways to lower your cost of living.

Do you speak French or Wolof?  It will be to your benefit to learn one of these languages.  I chose to learn Wolof.

There is so much to say.  If you can give me an idea of what you and your husband have been thinking about I can elaborate on what I know on that issue.

Are you retirement age?
Have you ever been to Senegal before?
Where would you like to live?
Do you have young children?

Regina

Hello Regina,

Thank you for getting back to me, however life has been pretty hectic, around the end of the year, and now with work picking up..seems I am always here. (I work in the Oil and Gas field)

My husband is from Senegal, and has already built a house in Mbao,Dakar, where his mother is now living in. But he goes there every summer, (he is a high school French teacher) so he is able to go and visit during his summers off.

I have never been before, but he keeps trying his best to get me to go there. He tells me that once I go there, I won't want to come back to the US. We have a 17 year son, (from my previous marriage) and a 6 year old daughter Binta. But, I just get worried and concerned about how my life would be, and how would i adjust. I have never been overseas before, only to Mexico, which is a jump away from Houston.

I'm 39, and he is 36. So, were no where near retiring, well me for sure. But he insists we should think long and hard about it, and get out from all the stresses of life here in the US. I'm not sure what i would do there for work. I do not speak French or Wolof, only Spanish. So I am sure I would have to learn one or the other.

I am so greatful to find this site, and for you to respond. So sorry for the long delay in replying.

Joelyn

Hi Joelyn:

Glad to hear from you again.  I understand being anxious, however, your beginning is only a 2-4 week vacation.  You are not moving to the moon.  This is Africa and it is a wonderful experience.  I came here twice before I decided I could live here -- if I had a life here.

Yes, I am considerably older than you (I moved here when I was 55 and I will be turning 60 this May) and from my experience, I would not consider moving here until your children have finished school.  The system is not the same.

Just visit as often as you can and you will understand better if it is for you.  I have a lady visiting me this weekend who has been coming to Senegal regularly for 12 years and her children are young as well.  However, she knows now that she wants a permanent place here and is buying property to ready for her retirement.  She is your age.  Listen to your husband, but Senegalese men love their homeland, however, it is not a place for all Americans. 

Explore young Sister -- understanding is the best thing in the world.  Americans tend to think America is the best and it is in many respects, but that doesn't mean you can't live somewhere else.

Before I end.  Do not expect to have an easy time finding employment here.  There are few jobs.  Since your husband is a teacher, he would have not much of a problem, but the pay scale is much, much lower than the states.  Save your money and invest in your company's 401K plan if there is one.  Come here with your money plans solid.  I know two Americans here who are dirt poor because they did not plan -- just wanted to leave America. 

Write soon.....

Blessings,

Regina/Amina

Hello Regina,

Your right, I won't be moving to the moon! Lol! I will in fact take my vacation there this year, not sure exactly which month, but it will be during the summer sometime. I will then in fact get to meet my in-laws, and some friends I already know. But for the most part, try and see how I feel while I am there. And also, try and go as often as I can. I know that in time I will appreciate the country.

I clearly understand about the school system, and we surely would wait until Binta is finished with high school and well into college.

Tell me, what your days are like there? I know you're retired, but do you get to relax all day. Or do you have some kind of work you do there? I'm just trying to get a feel of what daily life there is like.

I know vacationing, I will be relaxing and at the beach! I love the water. I could really enjoy that.

Thanks Regin, I really like chatting with you, and look forward to your response!

Joelyn

Hi Joelyn:

Well because I am retired -- I do absolutely whatever I feel like doing for the day.  I have a housekeeper, so domestic chores are not included in what I want to do.

I crotchet, have a small perfume oil business that I run -- mostly just for something to do, I don't make much money.  We have a 10-year old (my husband's son -- given to my husband by his sister) that we take care of.  I help out at his school.  Visit with friends some days and that's about it. 

Now this is MY daily life.  My husband works every day and so do most of the people around me.  I have a neighbor that doesn't work, but he is 75 years old and been retired for some time.

Twice a month the housekeeper and I go shopping for food and restocking the house.  I take the kids swimming in the summer in the lagoon.  Not a whole lot I do, but I like it this way.

Hey, keep in touch with me at [email protected].  It's easier for me to keep track.  I look forward to meeting you when you get to Senegal.

Blessings,

Regina

Hello,

My name is Lyn and I am seriously considering moving to Senegal, while keeping my U.S citizenship, and I would like to know who, what orgs, and where I should start.

I am concerned about support systems, schools, busines community, social life, and ways to stay active without taking on too much.

If anyone can help, I am in the financee / accounting /computer field, familiar with U.S business law, and have my DNA traces to one of the local tribes (and would liketo know me culture :) ).

Feel free to reply or email me at [email protected].  Thanks...

Hello Lyn and welcome to Expat.com!

You may also start a new thread on the forum for better visibility.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi Regla,

I visit Gambia/Senegal on a regular basis I was in the Gambia this February had a great time I loved Dakar more developed than Gambia for historical, colonial reasons. I have only met very few African Americans living in Gambia and not allot in Senegal apart from the odd nod of acknowledgement. When an African American hears a British accent from a handsome black face like mine!! I think Senegal is one of the best and cheapest places to set up a business Gambia is cost effective too.

One of the main reasons why Senegal and other French speaking African countries are so expensive is because all of them indirectly fund the French economy. French African nations heads of Finance are all French nationals with one or two exceptions. CFA is pegged to the French version of the Euro I guess France fully comprehends the very negative implications for them. If they gave so called Francophone nations full economic and political autonomy.

Gambia's currency is not tied to the British pound so goods in Gambia tend to be cheaper.

Do anyone have any recommendations for learning french?  I noticed that america is taking on a new french learning initiative ( perhaps to enter franchophone africa).

Some african americans are now taking on french too.. This is good because alot of AA are descendents from Francophone african and could utilize the language skill set... Moreso, AA could be good candidate for import/export us-senegal operations too..

Candidates are rosetta stone... and other say go hard-core and just dive into a french culture.. any takers on whats the best way to become fluent in french over a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year period?
thanks...

(Moderated: Expat.com is NOT a dating website.)

Hi my name is Lesa and I have a place in La Somone I am very happy to know that there are some African Americans living in the area.  I have been coming to Senegal for the last ten years and truly love it.  I plan on retiring soon and would love to stay in Senegal several months out of the year and come back to the US to spend time with my family the other months.  I stayed for the first time for one month in La Somone last October-November and really enjoyed it.  I plan on returning this May-June and would love to meet up with my African American sisters and brothers so I can find out how to get around the area as well as get some workers such as a cook and househelp.  i would appreciate any feedback...thanks

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

lesa wrote:

Hi my name is Lesa and I have a place in La Somone I am very happy to know that there are some African Americans living in the area.  I have been coming to Senegal for the last ten years and truly love it.  I plan on retiring soon and would love to stay in Senegal several months out of the year and come back to the US to spend time with my family the other months.  I stayed for the first time for one month in La Somone last October-November and really enjoyed it.  I plan on returning this May-June and would love to meet up with my African American sisters and brothers so I can find out how to get around the area as well as get some workers such as a cook and househelp.  i would appreciate any feedback...thanks

Hey Lesa, this is Dwight. I am looking to export Victoria Secret over in Dakar. I work for a airline so it is easy for me to go back and forth. I also so humanitarian work over there with giving time and supplies to school children. I will be there in June. Let me know if I can help.

Hi,

I'm neither African nor American however I would like to be in touch with some of you. I'm Belgian and I lived 3 years in Kansas City Missouri and 13 years in London. I really want to keep talking English.

I hope to hear from some of you.

Kind regards,

M-F

sorry I forgot to mention that I moved for good in Toubab Dialaw.
I arrived one month ago.

I hope to be in touch with some of you soon,

Thank you,
M-F

No problem Marie. I have never been to Brussels but I can go anytime. What interests do you have? email me [email protected].

Hi I was wondering if you could make up some kind of event were we could all meet up and just have a general chat. Celebrate our escape from Babylon lol! I really wanted to live in Senegal, but I'm cheap, I couldn't find anything for $80.00 per month.

So I am opting for The Gambia and then visiting Senegal from there not really my first option Gambia is very nice, but also very white. I am not having a go at anyone I am just stating the fact that Gambia has a massive white expat community with varying views on Africans. Gambia can be sometimes 40% cheaper than Senegal for a long term room or two Internet is also cheaper too I will see you around March 2013 hopefully.

Tarakha - let me know when you arrive.

Thanks,

Regla

hi my name is Sarah doughth getting married to my boyfriend out in Senegal  go every year i hope to move out to  kafountine
is there anything i need to do about living out there like vista ?
live in wales at moment going out there in November :)
what raining time like out there ? can i get full Senegal pass and how much ?
what it like to live out there ?
sorry to ask you so much ,
would love to meet you ?
take care sarah x

Hi Sarah,

you definitely need a visa. This is a new law which just got out beginning of July.

I know Kafountine a bit. Was there 5 weeks on hols 8 years ago when I met my current husband.

May I suggest you to think twice before moving there because I suppose that you are aware to we are seen as ATM machine. The way to make it is to be fully aware, fully alert at all times. Having stolen money is common experience for white folks. Especially before the banks holidays. Life can be romantic and attractive seen from Wales seen as a tourist. To live here is a different adventure.

I'm married now for 8 years to my Senegalese husband. We live here for over one year.

Check our web: consciousliving.eu

Good luck what ever you do. Please be careful at all time. Especially at party time!

With best wishes from Toubab Dialaw,

Marie-France

hi thanks for that :) yes i know just thinking about it ,
looking in to vista as im going out there for long time ,
i`ll have to get 2 vista im thinking get senegal pass ,
thanks
sarah x

Good luck!

thanks

Hi, My name is Nilton. I just came back to Senegal. Lived in Tennessee for 14 years. I was just looking to see how many americans were here and found this site. Figured would be a good thing to meet a few english speaking people.

Hi Nilton:

Yes there are a few here. 

Regards,

Regina Gaye

Regina and everyone,

My name is Stephanie.  I am an African American living in Washington DC. In fact, I was just approved to work in both Gambia and Washington D.C.  My husband of 15 years is Gambian (that is why I picked Gambia to live), and I have been going back and forth for 10 years.

He has family in Dakar (as most Gambians do) and we visit often. 

Its good to read these blogs.

Hi Stephanie,

I hope your move will be uneventful and your life in Gambia peaceful, healthy, and prosperous.

My best to you and blessings without number!

Regina

Hello,

My husband is from Senegal. We have 2 sons and he wants them to go live in Dakar for a couple years with his family. Although, I know it would be good for them and they would be well taken care of by his mother and sisters. I worry about them getting malaria. I have visited Dakar so many times alone and with the kids and  have never gotten malaria but the most amount of time I have spent there is 2 mos, and the kids would be living there.  My husband thinks I'm being dramatic and tells me that the people that die from it  don't seek help until it's too late and that he has had malaria  several times and is fine.  Can you tell me if you have ever had malaria? If so, how were you treated?

Hi.  I know how hard it must be to think your boys will be away from you, but seriously on the malaria side -- don't worry about it.  Your husband is correct.  My grandson lived with me for two years here and if I thought he seemed like he had a cold I took him to the doctor and there are plenty of doctors in Dakar.  Now, I do caution you that the people here sometimes refer to illness as being "the will of Allah" and sometimes do not seek medical attention like we do in the states. You must discuss this issue with your husband and his family.  Blessings to you sister.

Additionally, I have never had malaria (knock on wood) and I have never been inocculated.  I also drink the water.

Please consider their education as well.  My grandson went to school here for two years -- when he returned to the states they put him back one year because he had missed a lot of English studies.  Also a consideration.  He has been back home now for over four years and is doing well in school.  All in all, I think the experience living here was great for him -- he misses everyone here and they all ask about him.  After he is an adult, losing that one year of American schoolig, I don't think will damage him in any way.  And he will always remember his time here in Senegal.

Thank you. My husband really wants them to be immersed in the culture and language. I think it will be a wonderful experience. Was your grandson in English or French school? I want them to go to English school, but my husband feels like they can't live in Senegal like they are still in the US.
He wants them to have the full experience. It's definitely going to be a compromise. We had the talk about as soon as they have a fever or any signs of illness they MUST take them
to the doctor. I also drink the water :)  Thanks for all your advice and if you think of anything else I should know let me know.