Wanting to move to Senegal....

Hello everyone,

My name is Melissa and I currently live in Washington DC. My family and I are strongly considering moving to Senegal. We plan to visit within the next six months to purchase property, decide on a location, etc...

I found this blog when I was looking in to cost of living in Senegal. I know a lot of the posts are from people living in Dakar... I have a few questions and would really appreciate any info/ input anyone has to offer...

My first few questions are:

1. How far are the beach properties from Dakar airport? Where would be a good place to stay on the beach for a two week visit? (looking for more private setting, not in to large hotels)

2. What is the best way to travel from airport to wherever we stay, and whats the best way to get around while visiting? How much will this cost?

3. What is the cost of living for food items? We do not eat much meat or fish (maybe once a week)... We mostly eat fresh foods that I prepare daily (even in DC ugh!) and are not big restaurant goers...

Again- any info provided is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey Melissa -

To get to the beach from the airport, it depends where you stay. You can stay directly in Dakar, which will be a little pricier. They have common hotels like a Raddisson Blu and a Novotel.

If you decide to go to a local auberge like in a suburb, you can get a room with private bath for about $20/night.

I lived in the suburb Yoff. It was a 5 min walk to the beach from my house, and on my second visit, stayed in an auberge on the water for that $20/night price.

Where I was, it was 15 min to the airport.

Taxis are relatively cheap.But a driver who knows you are foreign will attempt to charge more. If you are ever paying more than 1,500 cfa ($3) to go from the airport to your location, you should try and haggle. Fares are also peak at night. If you walk away from an offer, another taxi will always follow!

As far as food. I was a vegetarian on my last trip and ate comfortably all the veggies, drinks, snacks I wanted for less than $6 per day. This was with splurges too.