New members of the Saudi Arabia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

rchamp wrote:

Hi I am Richard
IN Saudi for a short while setting up a project. I am a Zoo Projects manager, so interested in anything animals related.
I am looking for agency driver to work fulltime for me
have a wonderful day all

Welcome here.
You can hire anyone through your company.
Otherwise, put an ad on some websites and hire a guy for that job.
But it will be a little difficult to get a driver having a good car/vehicle.
Because there aren't any agencies for this particular purpose.

Hello,

Im a British professional moving across to Riyadh around the end  of July. I have a 1 year rolling FTC working in the financial district of Riyadh.  I will be traveling alone and I'm 50 years old. I love the outdoor space and go to the gym on a daily basis. Im currently, trying to ascertain the following:

1. A good compound, that has plenty of facilities and it's modern. I am considering California but have only looked at their online sales pitch. I'm sure there is a lot of information on the web and in this forum, however to date my search has not brought particularly current info, such a pricing, waiting lists etc.

2. Do I need to enable VPN on my MacBook, IPAD etc and will this allow me to watch British Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky Sports. It looks like I will be out there for the final stage of the British Lions Tour and wondered how I can see these games and also other televised rugby games?

3.  Has anyone experienced a Riyadh gym, if so please can you share your experiences.

I will trawl the forum to glean what I can but any responses to my questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Hi Gareth,
Well. First of all: Good luck!
It's not ideal to turn up here in the summer with 40+ temperatures. Just a point you might not be aware of: from August anyone not vaccinated will not be allowed into any public buildibg. It includes airports, malls, hospitals.... that's why I am trying to leave the country. Just so you know.
- for the compounds you need to pick up the phone. Saudi is a country where noone answers the online forms or emails. You'll need to try many times before you get through and ask exact questions as nothing is to be assumed.
- vpn, yes definitely. That is how I watch stuff on bbc, 4od and 5od. I use BroPro . For calls abroad, WhatsApp calls are heavily censored (and hardly work to French and UK numbers). I use Telegram or zoom call to chat to friends back home.
- your question about the gym, I cannot answer as male female are seperatw gyms. If you like a bit of martial arts, Arena has great trainers.
All the best Gareth
Feel free to reach out to me if you have other questions.
:)
Marie

Hey Maria,

Firstly many thanks for your reply! It's a real shame that you are leaving Saudi, I thought I'd made a ex-pat friend on the ground. I have recently received my 2nd jab and the flavour is accepted by Saudi.

Thanks for your advice regarding compounds and vpn.

I hope too hear back from you.

Thanks

G

Thanks

Hi Gareth,
Sorry. ;) I know but I'm sure you'll make friends here, going to the gym....
Check out Internations. There are lots of groups and outings organised by seasoned expats.
I have been here only 3 months as a private teacher and KSA is not for me, really not. I'm just looking to get back to London or Geneva for a new job. I know some people say: ' your expat adventure is what you make of it' but it is only true if you have the freedom and choice to say, do and experience stuff. For me nothing is authentic here and that is why I cannot find my place. It's a shame, I was looking forward to learning the language here.
Regarding compounds, I know the diplomatic quarters but I think it is very pricy.
If you want I can ask my driver if he knows good compounds with Westerners?
Speak soon.
Marie

Hi Maria, it's a real shame that you couldn't settle in Saudi but from what I have read the restriction on females is much greater and therefore they must limit experience.

Please can you ask your driver, as any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Yes. I am disappointed. I usually settle quickly.
What I regret the most is 3 months is not enough to learn the language. Although I picked up quite a bit along the way. Unfortunately to realise how derogatery and sexist most people are here, even females. There is a massive gap between locals who accept and welcome Westerners and the others. There is a big gap too between kind of smart/clever people and the rest. I am sorry to say, I am yet to have an intelligent conversation that does not revolve around: 'what does a pretty girl like you does unmarried' etc... Needless to say any scientific or historic conversation will be shut down straight away. Enough ranting on my side. You'll discover it all in due time.
I found Bahrain and Dubai a lot more to my taste.
Where about do you come from?
Have you visited ithe M-E before?
:)

Hello
        I'm chef saquib form India I have a 7 years experience as a chef specially barbecue grill Indian cuisine fruits Flavour chicken tikka musallam tandoori biryani etc.

Hello S Saquib Ali,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Since you are looking for a job, I invite you to create your CV in the Jobs in Saudi Arabia section. There is a dedicated category for chef.

In the same section, you can also check the latest job offers.  ;)

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hello,

I'm Dominika from Poland. I wonder if I can look for a job in a nursery school in Saudi Arabia as a non-native English speaker. Are there any options in childcare or early years education for me?

I would be really grateful for your advice.

Welcome to new comers.

Domi_Ola wrote:

Hello,

I'm Dominika from Poland. I wonder if I can look for a job in a nursery school in Saudi Arabia as a non-native English speaker. Are there any options in childcare or early years education for me?

I would be really grateful for your advice.

Yes, you can do that.
Try search for SGH Hospital or Batterjee medical college.
There is dozens of colleges and hospitals in which you can try your luck.
There is no private child care, here you can only find nannies.

Thank you so much !

There are plenty you can search on Riyadh

Hi everyone. I am glad I have found you all.
I have just joined looking for a small view or insight to real life people living in Saudi.
We are a family my husband looking to move in end November 2021. Near the damman area
I, as his wife, will give up my job my friends my life here with our little boy to follow him. I work as a scientist here in the UK. I also teach PhD students cancer research science so that they can get a phd, cancer biology and treating cancer, that's my topic I have a PhD myself from a good uk university and have worked ever since.
Looking for experiences from other expats who has given up their careers perhaps to follow their loved ones to Saudi?
I understand the laws with Abayas are no more for non Saudi women and women driving now etc... is this true on ground level? Or press to make Saudi look modern?
Also once I'm in saudi how easy is it to find laboratory jobs in universities or hospitals as a PhD graduate and a female. I'm thinking of this only as plan B if not having a job will bore me as I have always had a job/career.
Any opinions or thoughts welcome.
I think living and compound will be arranged by my husband employers but they havent been very "proactive" with information and I have to ask about everything.
Thank you so much for listening

Hi mam
Yes its right, now women are driving in Saudi Arabia and also not much restrictions about abbaya for foreigners. Secondly I'm sure you can find a good job too.

Hello how will i know ya iqama Id using passport

Hi all, This is Manojkumar working as a QC WELDING INSPECTOR in Abqaiq

Hi Gareth,
I found more info here. It's 2 years old but will be not much different now.
https://www.internations.org/riyadh-exp … dh-4484966
Good luck!
Marie

I am new to the group but an oldy in Saudi, 20  years,
Will be glad to give some advises to new expats coming to Saudi in particular Riyadh.

Hi
I looking to learn Arabic whilst im here and would prefer to do it in the company of like minded people.. Not from a screen.
Does anyone know if there are classes in the area of jubail, Eastern province,  or if anyone gives lessons in the area..
All pointers great fully received

Hmmmm.....you are SO right.

Hi, I'm Ahmed I work as a Supervisor in an MN courier company in RIyadh.

Hello all,
I am Czech / British expat living in Riyadh ☀️
This is my fourth time in KSA , after all years many of my fellow friends have left, therefore am looking for likeminded people to chat / socialize ( and once world is back to normal) attend events etc ….
Apart of internations  and expat , are there any other sites for expatriates, you might know and recommend 🙏
Best regards
Lucie

Hampalampa wrote:

Hello all,
I am Czech / British expat living in Riyadh ☀️
This is my fourth time in KSA , after all years many of my fellow friends have left, therefore am looking for likeminded people to chat / socialize ( and once world is back to normal) attend events etc ….
Apart of internations  and expat , are there any other sites for expatriates, you might know and recommend 🙏
Best regards
Lucie

I wanted to take this opportunity to say welcome aboard. I'm happy this site bring people together. May we cherish every moment of our friendship always and create beautiful moments in life.
Kind regards
Essa

Hi I'm Indonesian and I moved here one month ago and I'm a housewife here. I'm looking for a new friends which is from all nationalities and must be females because I'm not interested to be friend with males. If you interested about child education, kdrama, we can have many discussions. Hope I will get a good friend here 😄

Hi all,

I arrived in Dammam last Monday to start a new position, I'm Irish and I've been in the region for ten years, 7 in Bahrain and 3 in Oman. I'm finding it particularly difficult to find accommodation in the Dammam, Khobar, Dharhan area, I'm seeking a 2 bed apt or villa, preferably in Khobar for my wife and I.

Any help appreciated!

Hey.

I'm Amira and a teacher here in Riyadh.

I am looking to rent a compound (2 bedrooms) from August 2021 - August 2022.

I would love to rent with another professional (women only).

Please get in touch and I can share prices and info I have found.

Thanks !

Hi all!

Just arrived in JED last week and am here on the ground for the next three months for a project. I am German, usually living in Australia and quite used to the expat life. Previously lived in Shenzhen and Hong Kong.
Particularly interested in getting to know Jeddah, all sorts of activities (gym, wind/kite surfing, squash, tennis, etc.) and good food and coffee (I am a coffee snob!). Looking forward to hopefully meeting like-minded people here. Cheers!

Hi All,
This is Arun from India, living in Jeddah from the last 1 yr. i love playing Badminton and Chess. i have been national player of Badminton. i am Nostalgic here and would like to make good friends..

Thx
Arun

Jeddah has a chiropractors. Among them is
Dr Mohamed Mansour - Beverly Clinics
Dr.Abduldayem Ahmed - Fakeeh Hospital

Contact the individual clinics for how to book an appointments.  Thanks.

You can create HSBC bank account in Riyadh and UK so transfer will be more easy for you

I've worked in Saudi for the past 6 years. I left in March to start a new job in the US but am looking into returning to Saudi. Having to take care of some medical stuff to make sure I can get an Iqama again.

Hello,
This is reiny bakk
From 🇵🇭🇵🇭
Almost 4 years working as expat  in Saudi Arabia.
I'm looking for a new opportunities before my contract will end.

Hi all,

I'm Mohamed ( 🦌 DEER )

Wishing you a very happy life here in ksa specially in Riyadh, I'm living here for more than 10 years now, I'm working as a key account manager in kitchen equipment company, know very well the kitchen work flow even for cafe's, if you need any kind of support or question just contact me 00966 54 854 44447

Hi Muhammad,

How are you? My name is Rafee I'm English. Can you help me please. It's regarding to living and working in KSA  I will be a qualified nurse 2022. And I need a good salary with my job. Can you advise me where to start looking please.

Regards,
Rafee

Hi all,

Newbie to expat.com and hoping this is a good network for work and social activities in the Saudi region.

I'm currently in New Zealand and keen to relocate to Riyadh. Is seeking employment prior to the move best or is it better to be on the ground like the UAE?

I was based in the UAE for a few years and have been following the progress of the amazing Saudi projects in the pipeline. Big things happening there at the the moment and would love to be part of it.

Are there any good recruiters based in KSA or is it better to apply directly to companies?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Glenn

You may rent an apartment in Dura tul Ashaab. It is in the An Nahdah Area. The rent is not too much.

@Glen
you have worked in Dubai and other places where laws are not that much hard, before applying you must study life in saudi first bcuz its a completely different culture then consider working here ..

but still if you ask consultant so i know very good consultant PROPEL CONSULTANT they are specialized for hiring in Saudia , Dubai , and Ireland, you can find them easily on linkedin contact Ms. Ayesha she is really helpful. her email is aysha@propelconsult.com i donno if it will show or not

Closed