New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Welcome to ex-pat Mexico Constantinos,

Let us know a little more about your plans so that we can help.

Dear travellight,

Thank you indeed for your prompt reply; I sincerely appreciate it. Currently, I am in Melbourne, Australia and I am in the process of leaving. How soon, I can't tell at the moment; it will depend on a few factors. Kindly let me know if you can share any information regarding accommodation, any places that you may recommend, in terms of quality of life. If you like to share a brief chat online, please let me know; we can connect via an app from the many which are available.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my query, and for your courtesy.

Grateful,
Constantinos

good luck even getting out of Australia Visionario,

As you are aware Mexico is a large and diverse country . Are you someone who likes heat ? Melbourne, like much of Australia a beach-like area. Is that what you are looking for? or is the outback more to your taste? Big city fan or small?
Lots of questions.

Hi all. Am interested in learning more on Mexico. Specifically, I guess, Mexico City and Guadalajara (don't think I will ever get used to saying that). Thanks.

Welcome to ex-pat Mexico Superphily,
so get used to what? Saying you need help? pronouncing the names of Mexican cities or?

Guadalajara is very large and pretty modern. Mexico City is the capital,  it is also very large and more historical. Both are very busy, crowded, and complex. Most corporate offices are in Mexico city but not all. Flights use the city as a hub. the government filters paperwork through there.

If you like museums, art, plays, etc. that would be mostly Mexico but don't rule out other places.

New here (everyone is at one time right?) Looking for practical info on Ensenada, Mexico. Conflicting data on rents there from several sites. Some say expensive, other say not cheap. What can I expect to pay for a small furnished apartment with appliances?  How easy is it to find a small furnished place there for U.S. Citizen long term rental, not for vacation. Thanks for reading and any useful answers.

Hello friends,
We will be moving into our new house soon in Queretero,MX

How difficult is it to get a temporary residents visa.
I guess I can get by for a while on the 180 day tourist visa ,any advise on which visa would be best,and how to go about it?

I plan on returning to the USA every 4 to six months
Thanks,
Robert Morgan

Welcome to the Mexican part of ex-pat forum wildestdream,

Are you checking your visa status at a Mexican consulate in the states? That's where you would find out which type of visa you might be able to apply for depending on your financial status. If you want to live in Mexico I would suggest applying for residence Permanent.
Recently there have been changes so be aware you can't assume anything,  If I were you I would keep it simple. You have an address it seems and you want to live in Mexico.  There is no need to share future plans.  They want to know that you have an income to support your lifestyle and that you have a planned address to go to.  Later they will want to see things like electric bills to prove you live in Mexico, but that's further down the line. Keep it simple.

Hey there, in my 30s and met a guy online who lives in Mexico. He's not really in a position to leave the country and coming from Mexico to the US is a much larger challenge than me coming to CDMX so I've been visiting for the last 3-4 months, a month at a time usually and looking to get a place down there now!

Looking for advice on what to consider when renting/buying down there, and hopefully can find someone who will be able to help me manage the whole thing (without ripping me off too bad 😁)

Welcome to ex-pat Mexico Spangler,

To be honest That last sentence in your post tells me you have a bright red warning light flashing in your head. I would listen to it if I were you. Perhaps it's time to sit down when you are not in Mexico and think about what safe plan you can make that won't' "rip " you off or worse.

When you decide about actually coming to Mexico because you have learned about Mexico and really want to be there we will do what we can to advise you. A woman alone in a foreign country is not a safe thing especially now.
You're not alone? A stranger online who can't leave Mexico makes you still alone and unsafe.

spalger wrote:

Hey there, in my 30s and met a guy online who lives in Mexico. He's not really in a position to leave the country and coming from Mexico to the US is a much larger challenge than me coming to CDMX so I've been visiting for the last 3-4 months, a month at a time usually and looking to get a place down there now!

Looking for advice on what to consider when renting/buying down there, and hopefully can find someone who will be able to help me manage the whole thing (without ripping me off too bad 😁)

First, be aware that in a way, you have skipped the most important aspect about moving here, because the most important thing for you has been to come to Mexico to visit this person.

Nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully this turns out to be everything your heart desires.

But my advice would be to try and step back from that relationship and simply consider Mexico and Mexico City, strictly as places to live, not necessarily places to be near/with your sweetheart.

I'm assuming you are a woman, but even if you are a man the advice is pretty much the same:

Start making some personal friendships that have little or anything to do with your sweetheart.

You are likely to get replies to your post from people you don't know, offering you real estate services, either as a reply here in this thread or through the private messaging service.

Try to avoid developing a connection with any of these people without meeting them in person.

Instead, if you start reading the forum you're going to identify certain forum members who might be willing to develop a connection with you either long distance or the next time you are in Mexico.

I think the next time you are in Mexico is your best yet.

Make friends with people you can sit and have a cup of coffee with and learn about their experience in Mexico and also get recommendations from them.

There are a number of women who are members of this forum and are single and thriving very well in Mexico, without the need of assistance from a man.

As you identify them and interact with them hopefully you are going to find someone or some people who can be helpful in referring you to a trustworthy real estate person.

Good luck!

Hi,
My wife and I are considering retiring in Mexico - currently looking at San Miguel de Allende and Queretero, but are absolutely open to other possibilities. We're nearing 60, and I'm looking at retirement in approximately 3 years (my wife is already retired), with a decent pension, from the public school system. We're looking at somewhat cooler areas, and are interested in a more laid-back lifestyle, but are very outdoors oriented. In all likelihood, we will rent, and are considering a somewhat nomadic lifestyle, living in an area for a couple of years, doing a lot of travel, and moving on. We thought that Mexico would be a good first step, and perhaps a permanent home. In any event, I'm happy to have found this form, and would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Great to be here.

Cheers,
John

Hello. My service dog (Hope) and I are returning to Ensenada in early December and will be staying at an RV park literally on the beach in our ambulance. We traveled there in September and stayed around the town and at the RV park for a couple weeks.

As a disabled double Veteran of the USAF (environmental health and food inspector) and Army (Medic) thriving on VA Disability and SSD, my income is stable and predictable. I plan to obtain my temporary residency as soon as I can while in Ensenada, because there are no consulate appointments available in my region anymore.

We are bailing from the toxic slave ship of america because it has adversely affected my health (chronic high blood pressure, etc) to the point where my life is in imminent danger. The EKG doesn't look pretty.  I was made aware 3 years ago that it's necessary for me to leave this country and move to Mexico in order to spare my own life. The food here is even too perilous for me to consume. My desire is to Live without the oppressive social stress, be seen and treated as *Human*, meet more Expats and to ultimately volunteer with helping communities in Ensenada. Volunteering is great therapy. 😊

I have my passport and completed FMM form. There's also a form for my dog I have printed to fill out; APHIS 7001.

Slightly unsettling, it appears that home rental prices in Ensenada have increased substantially in the past few months (info sources Point2Point and Rentberry). Are there reliable resources for renting a house other than the sites I mentioned? Even though we live in our ambulance, I'd like to have a backup.

Also, any more good advice in general is welcomed. Thanks much.

KPH living with Hope 🤓🐶

Welcome to ex-pat Mexico johngf50,
you would currently have more tranquility in the South, not the North. One exception might be the areas just south of Tijuana. There are several ex-pats who seem happy there and it's much cooler than the south. The south would still be safer  and calmer, but that area would have easy access to the U.S. and would be safer than most border areas

Welcome to ex-pat MexicoLittle Warrior.

There are other ex-military retirees in that area who can likely give you suggestions. There is one in particular who posts often. Look for those posts,

As far as health goes, are you aware that grains are dried using glyphosate? People in Mexico were shocked to hear that,

Good luck

Hello everyone,

Just a little reminder that is thread is for new members only thus please note that some off topic posts have been removed.

Should you want do ask any specific question, do not hesitate to create a new thread on the Mexico forum:cheers:

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi all, new to the Merida area.

Lived in Thailand for 12 years, time for something new! :)

I do have a question if anyone can recommend a good English speaking doctor/gastroenterologist in Merida? Self-pay..unfortunately haha..

Hope to meet some new friends in the area

Talk soon
Mark

Welcome to Expat Mexico mdotinc,

Merida is one of the two or three easiest places to find a doctor who can speak English. The first thing you should try is checking in a  phone book or possibly online. The place they see their patients would likely be Star Medico hospital or close by. It's one of the best hospitals.

I helped my family member find a doctor there who spoke three languages besides his native tongue.

Good afternoon Travellight. This is a longshot question but since you mentioned the grain drying process, do you (or anyone here please) happen to know if there are gluten-free options noticably available in Ensenada? I didn't really search when I was there last but am now slowly removing some wheat from my pantry. Thanks for any suggestion.

Thank you travellight!

HOLA EVERYONE!!!

I am in love with traveling Mexico and especially Quintana Roo.   I have owned residence that is located in Playa Del Carmen.  I often travel to the are 3-4 times a year with my family. 

currently,  I am 51 years old and wish to retire in Mexico therefore i am taking skills as a business leader and CEO to Mexico to start or join a business that i can continue to a stream of revenue!

please contact me with opportunities!

see yall soon!

Hi little warrior,

It took me a bit to get back to you because I've been getting ready for a trip. My background is wholistic and I have worked as a Master Gardener after taking a course at a university. I have degrees in health and science. The book you might want to see is "No grain. no pain" by Doctor Peter Osborn he is a veteran.

Avoiding grains would be something you would have to control yourself. The products said to be nongluten are often just labels. Even organic isn't actually totally safe because growing organic doesn't mean drying without toxic agents.

Best of luck and health.

Hola!
Seriously considering buying a home in San Miguel de Allende sometime in 2022.....renting it out on Airbnb for a couple of years, then permanently moving into the home.  We've never been to San Miguel but have heard nothing but rave reviews!  We hope to visit over the next few months.  We want to retire there and enjoy all the wonderful adventures that await us in Mexico!!

Well hello there. Thanks for responding. Ahh so voyaging again; within Mexico? Curious, where is your favorite city/town in Mexico? Have you been to Rosarito for a considerable amount of time?

Interesting background. I don't think I've met a master gardner before but it's sounds like a blooming occupation. (Sorry, couldn't resist.😏)
I know a gentleman who would love to kidnap you for a day or two and happily extract any valuable botany info you have stored in your memory. LOL

Thanks for the info. The wheat gluten thing is a huge issue..as in it's near impossible for me to have a no wheat lifestyle in america. In Mexico, more corn is used I'm sure....hey, is That organic in Mexico? My son is completely GF because otherwise he gets sick. The eggs I eat are strictly Organic and/or straight from the chicken.  I've heard that organic is and can still be tainted, but adhering to those labels have kept me safe from "bad" eggs. Regular or cage free don't cut it, and my body reacts violently to those, so they're avoided at all costs. Now I'm wondering about the eggs in Mexico. Hmmm research time.

I'll look into that book, however, converting from gluten is a bit challenging for me until I go south of the border.

Have fun, safe travels wherever you land.

Hello everyone,

I only just arrived in CDMX. The company I'm working for has ordered me to make as many contacts to physicians and other doctors in the vicinity as possible, so at first I'll be here for six weeks.

While being given this opportunity, I also want to find out about other possibilities in this interesting place. I'm not too happy with the political situation in my home country, so even staying permanently is on the table.

I have many years of experience in sales, and I'm a pretty good driver, since on the side I‘ve been working part time as a cab driver for almost 30 years. I also have a degree in Austrian law.

See you all soon!

My name is Dean. I live In Mazatlan most of the time. My wife and I are missionaries. We work in the penal institution here, and with kids in our area. We also make several trips each year to Chiapas where we work with pastors, churches, prisons, and childrens ministry. We have lived in Mexico for most of twenty years. Tijuana for about 15 years and after that here. I'm not looking for a job because I have the best job in this world and I'm grateful to God for it. That's all for now. We're leaving for Tijuana in the morning for a month. Long drive but better than flying these days. God bless you all.

Safe travels & God speed brother

Hi August,

I'm Renee, I'm planning on moving to San Miguel de Allende and was also hoping to drive down from Los Angeles so that I could bring along some of my possessions and make the move easier on my 2 cats. I asked my Mexican (male) friend about that and he said NO! NO! You can't drive! That's not safe!

So, please do your own research on that. I don't tell you that to scare you but to caution you and to double check the safety with several sources before doing that as Merida as a much longer drive from the US than San Miguel.

Regardless of how you get there, I wish you lots of happiness in your adventure!

Hi everyone, my wife and I are strongly considering moving to Mexico in the next few (2-3) years.  We are considering starting by renting in Mazatlan and then searching for our ideal spot or just stay there.  I'm from Maine but have been living in New Jersey for about 2 years.  We live rurally so city life might be a huge adjustment.  I'm paying a thousand dollars a month in property tax and it is getting untenable.  I'm a goat farmer/marine biologist/artist and my wife owns a vegetarian cafe.  I guess my most important questions would revolve around bring my dogs.  Have others brought their dogs and how was that experience?  Thanks for having us.😃

Welcome to Ex-pat Mexico Whit&kris,

Many people have brought their pets to Mexico. I'm sure some of those people will tell you about the experience. Of course, that is now and in 2-3 years things could change.

Have you thought of looking at someplace more rural? Goat herds are common in some parts of Mexico.

Hello, My name is Donna. My husband and I are planning to take an adventure and go to Mexico to see if we can an area that we would like to settle and spend our retirement..Were planning to head down this spring.
I joined this forum because it seems friendly and looks like others don't mind helping out with information or answering questions. In which I will be happy to share my experiences and help by answering others questions when I get there. 😊

Greetings all -- new member here.  Several years ago we bought some property about an hour bus ride south of Mexico City... we have Mexican friends there where the fathers in the family came up to Canada each summer to work as migrant workers.  Visited there and fell in love with the village.  No beach, no tourists, no English.  Should be an adventure every day.  Hope the house is finished sometime next year but we will move as soon as our house here is sold.

We love Puerto Vallarta, been going yearly for almost 20 years.. Need help convincing my partner this is the right move!  lol..

Welcome to expat Mexico richnsteve,
Given that your partner is a stranger to us, I think you will have to be the one convincing that partner. You have the answers to your problem.

Hello All,
I am Bart Jarvis & my wife is Lourdes Leon.  We will be relocating to San Miguel sometime in late 2022 and just wanted to say hello.

I'm Steve and I just moved here. Look forward to catching up when you arrive. Cheers and feliz año

Hello. We are Cindy and Jay.
We are traveling to SMA in March 2022.
We would like to connect with a realtor, who speaks English to show us some listings.
Can anyone recommend someone who can walk us through the process? We need a lot of info regarding buying as a foreigner.
Thank you.
Happy New Year!

To Alawishes,
No English- I hope you speak Spanish or you're in for a very boring existence. Suerte.

We would like to do transactions in English as it is our first language. I have not had a boring existence so far so I would expect that I am not looking for one. Happy New Year

hideandseekjc wrote:

We would like to do transactions in English as it is our first language. I have not had a boring existence so far so I would expect that I am not looking for one. Happy New Year

Eugene Burdick and William Lederer

Closed