New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi Dena, I just sent you a private message to connect here with my details for FB. I understand the need for privacy.  I feel the same. Heather Let me know if you got it.

denareagan wrote:

Thanks Travel,
I've been hesitant to post here because my questions are so basic. I wonder if there is anyone who is living in PV who might be willing to answer questions for a novice about moving to Mexico
Thanks Dena

Hi Dena,
I thought an ex-pat from PV would have responded by now but It seems other ideas are necessary. What I would suggest is that you look through previous posts. There is a lot of information in those. Don't worry about basic questions . There are many basic questions we can help with.

I've been to PV about 3 times and was doing business with someone there for a few months. That ended because frequent floods delayed or cut off deliveries there. It's a cute town, but I couldn't help thinking what if when I went down the narrow road into town. I like to have more than one escape route. After being on Isla Mujeres when a hurricane went by  I think safety went into the top ten on my desirability list.

I haven't gotten anything yet. I can't find you on FB. Do u feel comfortable giving me your phone number & I will text my information? Don't mean to make this complicated, but I'm a bit challenged with technology.

Hi Travel,
I'm a bit surprised too. Are you lunch bing in Mexico now? Is there a town that you really liked?

denareagan wrote:

Hi Travel,
I'm a bit surprised too. Are you lunch bing in Mexico now? Is there a town that you really liked?

Well Dena'

I'm more or less an ex-pat ol' timer. I've traveled in  Mexico for 12 years. For the last 9 years, I have been living in Mexico as a resident Permanente. Shall we say I was seeing the handwriting on the wall and retired early? There are several places I like in Mexico. I live in one of the hottest but also the most tranquil and peaceful places. I considered 6 other places before settling here as my home base.

What are you looking for ? beach, charm, quiet, big city ? Mexico has all of these.

As for the no response as yet, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised given the global issues.

Heather,
I don't do Skype any longer. I always FaceTime. Here is the email…****

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
denareagan wrote:

Do you have FB messenger? Could send my email address to you that way. I don't want to put it out on the forum. Dena

You can use the private message (PM) system on the forum.

Click on the avatar of the person you want to PM, and follow the link to send them a message.

If that person has turned off private messaging and the link is not visible, attempt to add them as a contact first.

Some people have set their preferences to receive PM from contacts only.

I'm not a newbie, but I've been inactive on the Mexico forum for over 3 years while living in Southeast Asia.

Now I'm in temporary housing in Mississippi, USA, weighing my options for where to head next.

My personal experience in Mexico is limited to countless trips to Tijuana, many visits to Rosarito, a couple of times in Ensenada and one trip to Cabo.

My new interests include Mazatlan, Cabo, Ensenada and Rosarito.

My personal friends in Mexico tell me that I probably won't have major safety concerns as long as I'm not involved in illegal drugs, prostitution/trafficking, dive bars or anything available on the black market, AND if I stay in an expat-friendly urban area and avoid land travel and tourism in rural areas.

Good advice?

Wow, I wouldn't be able to do any of those things! Lol
Makes sense.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'm not a newbie, but I've been inactive on the Mexico forum for over 3 years while living in Southeast Asia.

Now I'm in temporary housing in Mississippi, USA, weighing my options for where to head next.

My personal experience in Mexico is limited to countless trips to Tijuana, many visits to Rosarito, a couple of times in Ensenada and one trip to Cabo.

My personal friends in Mexico tell me that I probably won't have major safety concerns as long as I'm not involved in illegal drugs, prostitution/trafficking, dive bars or anything available on the black market, AND if I stay in an expat-friendly urban area and avoid land travel and tourism in rural areas.

Good advice?

Welcome back oceanBeach

Those activities can get you in trouble anywhere. As for land travel If you are not traveling through bad areas, it shouldn't be a problem. Just the basic caution don't drive at night and don't wander off the beaten path. It looks like you plan to barely be in Mexico so you should be fine.

travellight wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Good advice?

Welcome back oceanBeach

Those activities can get you in trouble anywhere. As for land travel If you are not traveling through bad areas, it shouldn't be a problem. Just the basic caution don't drive at night and don't wander off the beaten path. It looks like you plan to barely be in Mexico so you should be fine.

Thanks for the update.

I had no idea Mazatlan is now "barely in Mexico".

BTW, a serious "thank you" for the many helpful posts you've made in the forum.

Cheers!

:D jaja,ja.
Well its sort of the cut off point where you would need a import tag on your car to go from there on. Most of my time here required an import tag to be legal. When I travel now I don't usually go that far north. Which tells you I'm mostly in Yucatan and beyond but usually not quite Belize.

welcome back Ocean Beach. If you like ocean beach may consider checking out Huatulco, on the Pacific coast of Oaxaca. Small town feel, very safe, great expat community. beautiful clear calm waters, or waves near by if you want that.

aliceah wrote:

welcome back Ocean Beach. If you like ocean beach may consider checking out Huatulco, on the Pacific coast of Oaxaca. Small town feel, very safe, great expat community. beautiful clear calm waters, or waves near by if you want that.

Thanks very much for that recommendation. I was pleased to find out there are direct flights there from DFW. I'm definitely considering a visit to check it out.

Moving temporarily to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) for 6 months.
Have several questions about living there (Mexico in general) and resources for essentials (insurance). Appreciate any and all help! Can do through Messenger.

Hi! My name is Luis, and I came from spain with my wife to live near the caribbean sea.  We are here to enjoy the climate and nature, looking to learn from local and ancient culture about health and spirituality... Also because of the gastronomy! We love learning about local ingredients and cooking tips! 
We work online, teaching about natural health, prevention and technology to our self care (body, mind and soul).
Hope we can find help and share our experiences in this forum.

Hello Everyone,

I have recently turned 50 and I would love to retire in the next couple of years.

Mexico seems like a dream come true. Moving and begin a new chapter of my life seems very feasible.

I am going to be scouring over all the information on this site and asking a lot of (hopefully not stupid) questions.  :)

So happy to find this resource.

Welcome to the Mexico part of ex-pat third act,

Ask whatever you want. The site has a lot of information.

Hi Everyone. I moved to Playa del Carmen for a year with my family earlier this year. Previously we lived in Asia for 2 years.

I work online and travel full time, but the pandemic has caused us to slow down and stay put for a while until travel is open and safer again. :-)

We're really looking forward to the sargazo season ending so the beaches are clean and swimmable again soon! If anyone lives in Playa with kids, I'd love to connect.

Hello Everyone, I'm Roger aka Rogelio I so want to move to Jaliso and have no clue  on what to do next as of yet. Is a pleasure and an honor to have people as yourselves on a website to help out. Thank you all so much. Talk soon,

Best regards to all,
Rogelio

Welcome  to ex-pat Mexico hairwizard5,

Think about what you want to know and we will do what we can to help you, Out of curiosity are you a hairstylist?

Hi from Mick Ruth

I am considering a Temporary Resident  Visa for me a U.S. Passport holder and my wife Phillipno passport holder. We have lived in Philippines for last 10 years love to travel,I have been to Mexico many time starting in 1970 living there in 1980/81.            Cheers Mick

Welcome to the Mexico portion of expat Mick

You're not asking any questions so perhaps you know about contacting the Mexican consulate in the U.S. about the visa issue questions.

Hello all.  Me and my wife are moving next month to San Miguel De Allende for the start of our retirement in Mexico.  So anyone who lives in De Allende give me a shout out.  We have a long term picked out but wont be open till Jan so we will be doing the airbnb stuff till it opens up. 

All newbie info for De Allende will be appreciated.

How'dy  folks!
My husband and I will be looking around the Ajijic and San Miguel areas for 'retirement'.   We are interested in meeting people of the expat communities there.   Wanna meet for coffee??

We will be in Ajijic area early September through mid September,  a week in San Miguel Allende, then back to Ajijic for the last week in Sept.   We  are interested in the Theater, Dance, Art,  Yoga  and Music communities... as well as Meditation and Drumming or Shamanic journeys.

we'd love to meet up and chat!

Hi Rojilio:
I would look into airbnb for starters.  You also might decide what you would like to be doing in your next residence.  Are you a traveler, a hiker etc.    Google 'living in _____ Mexico', to see what towns appeal to you.  there is so much in Mexico.... you'll have to be a little more specific.
OM
Tz

Hi my name is Letty and my husband is Ron and we just moved here from Florida! We live in Cancun, hotel zone and are looking forward to making friends with couples who like to do puzzles, play card games and enjoy cocktails. We love going to dinner as they provide such a wonderful entertainment down here! Looking forward to making your acquaintance!

Welcome! We are hoping to move there in the next four years.i hope we see you down there :)

Hi everyone, I am in SMA,  Really happy to be here, I love it.  I've lived in Latin America for 16 years, glad to be back in Mexico. Having some issues with new landlord though, so will probably have to move again.  Saludes

C

Hi, my name is Ariel Ky. I've been living in Patzcuaro in Michoacan for over three years. I joined expat.com some years ago when I was living in Malaysia, and have not been active.

I'm a retired, single woman, and for the most part, I enjoy my life here. I'm able to rent a small house on my small Social Security income, and it feels luxurious to have all this space to myself, including a bit of a garden in the front.

arielky wrote:

Hi, my name is Ariel Ky. I've been living in Patzcuaro in Michoacan for over three years. I joined expat.com some years ago when I was living in Malaysia, and have not been active.

I'm a retired, single woman, and for the most part, I enjoy my life here. I'm able to rent a small house on my small Social Security income, and it feels luxurious to have all this space to myself, including a bit of a garden in the front.

Happy reactivation!

I tried to follow the link to your blog.

Expat shows screen saves of some posts, but when I click through to the site on Salon, I only get error messages.

Too bad, because the little I can see leads me to believe that we have similar thoughts regarding Peace.

If you are hosting the blog elsewhere, please send me the link in a private message.

Cheers!

My husband and I are from Canada, Alberta, recently retired and interested in San Miguel de Allende as recommended by our elderly relatives who loved it there for many years.  We hope to arrive in Nov. 2021 and stay for a month approx (flexible schedule).  We will take that time to really scout out the city, community, and ex-pat groups there.  We are currently looking for accomodation for a month ish and do not know which neighbourhoods would be best for 61 and 63 year olds, without a car for the most part, and wanting to learn all we can in that time.  Thanks for this opportunity to share our plans.   Recommendations would be appreciated.   Marion

I am a single,semi retired, artist traveler, who has been traveling and living for three years in my Roadtrek 190.  I have decided to give San Miguel de Allende a real try.  I have rented a two bedroom, two bath furnished house in the Colonia San Antonio section of SMA, starting October 15th. (Currently housesitting here!)  I am addicted to pickleball and play most days.  I do a lot of painting.  My art and life website is www.vizart.com.  I love to play poker and especially Texas Hold'em.  I am looking to find or start a regular weekly game.  I am open to volunteering and looking for the right fit. I have a spanish nickname I use which is" Memo."  What else?

Hi Memo.  My husband and I play pickleball as well.  Possibly once we get down there around Nov 1, we can as well look for pickleball opportunities in SMA. 

We haven't secured a rental yet for the month of November.  WE are looking for a unit with a kitchen, king bed would be nice, and not too far from le Jardin in the centro area -  because we will be walking mostly everywhere.  Having never seen SMA, we are somewhat at a loss for which area of town to look.  Do you have any recommendaitons for a rental home or aparatment for approx 1 month starting Nov 1?  Any suggestions you could give would be recommended.  Thanks in advance.  Marion.

HI all, I am a Canadian who is considering a move to the Yucatan.  I have a trip planned from Dec 21st to Jan 4th in Merida.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on whether anything will be open on Christmas or New Years. 

I know that many covid restrictions are in effect, if anyone knows of some activities that I won't find on TripAdvisor it would be greatly appreciated.  I will look thru the forums for some other info.

Thanks in advance, Randy

welcome to the Mexican part of expat Dex,

Over all activities in Mexico are pretty subdued compared to normal, but they are not absent. What sort of activities were you expecting to encounter ?

Hello!  (or should I say Hola!?)
I am looking to locate to Mexico from the U.S. and would like some suggestions as to where the best place would be to go for a low income retiree.  I love gardening and farming so climate is important to me.
I plan on my move within the next 6 months.
Hope to hear from any one who can offer help in any way.

DHfarmer wrote:

Hello!  (or should I say Hola!?)
I am looking to locate to Mexico from the U.S. and would like some suggestions as to where the best place would be to go for a low income retiree.  I love gardening and farming so climate is important to me.
I plan on my move within the next 6 months.
Hope to hear from any one who can offer help in any way.

Welcome to the Mexico forum.

It's probably best for you to start a new thread, or search for an old thread on this subject.

This thread is for making introductions.

Cheers!

Hi! Welcome! My husband and I selected the Hotel Zone  in Cancun, It is safe, and close to everything!

Hello to all Mexico forum members,

My name is Constantinos, currently in the process of moving to Mexico and I reaching out to all members for any useful information regarding the country (accommodation, etc.). Please let me know if any member would like to connect via the private message thread for more details.
I sincerely appreciate any information provided and I am looking forward to connect and interact with as many people as possible.

In gratitude,
Constantinos Flessas

Closed