New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hello all. My wife and I are considering move from Colorado to San Miguel de Allende. More than likely, we will pay cash for a new home there. The intent is to retire and live there the next 10-15 years.

We greatly appreciate both pros and cons of this decision and look forward to hearing your feedback of your experience.

Thank you!
Scott & Becky

Welcome to expat Mexico sasmith1058,

So after many years in Mexico and with the current political and economic situation everywhere. My opinion would be that I wouldn't dream of buying a house That dream died with the housing bubble. I would rent to give myself more flexibility.
The world we are currently in does not function as it used to. I would be looking for ways to secure my income.

The moving part is a reasonable plan. Yet, once again, with my experience I would rent and look around as much as possible. Keeping price , security, food safety ,and environment at the top of my required list. If I didn't speak Spanish that would go to the top of my list also. Communication and understanding are critical in my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. Much appreciated.

Greetings,
Just joined today.  I'm a civil engineer by trade and was looking for work in South America.
Found this site....
Been to Mexico several times.
USA is killing me.
I really need to vacate.
Teresa

Welcome to expat -Mexico Liberty Lady,

I understand your feelings. I came from the medical end of the spectrum and began to see the handwriting on the wall ten years before I came here.
What I would suggest is to contact others in your profession to network and explore job options in the direction you want to go. Perhaps colleagues in universities.  Do you speak Spanish ? It would make looking for work options much easier.

Hi all, seriously planning to arrive in  Puerto Vallarta July 2021, for an extended stay or at least until the pandemic resides in other places I'm planning to visit. I'm retired military, USAF engineer.
Any advise or guidance is greatly appreciated :)
In the words of the great, wise king Solomon: "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens",
Thanks
SirDwight

Hello. Just moved to Cancun a few weeks ago. Found a nice furnished apartment with utils included in the rent here in El Centro-- not far from Parque El Palapas. Wonderful, safe, and a long block from the 2-story supermarket Chedraui and a 1/2 mile from Walmart and Suburbia--Mexico's Target-like dept store.

Like many, with the pandemic dragging on, job market uneven, and rents soaring in West Palm Beach, Florida due to influx of folks to sunny climes, I needed to get my travel mojo on. And I have not been disappointed at all. Beaches are stunning, cheap and quick transport to them available, and incredible food are all here for us. Plus I have never felt unsafe walking alone at night here. Although Cancun doesn't have the charm of a Merida or old colonial cities, it is a central and functional place to live affordably, especially if you want to explore the entire Riviera Maya from here.

Good luck to all.

Hi Friends!

Moving to Merida and looking for a 1 bedroom with killer wifi. Im a nomad so this will be my first round in Mexico.
Should I look though an agent or is there an easier way to find a place outside airbnb? (or just negotiate offsite?)

Hi, Ms. Nomad. Good luck with move. There are many expats living in Merida. I used Vivanuncios real estate site to narrow down apt choices and check prices. It's in Spanish however. You can email or call the owner or agent.  Or you can AirB&B for a few weeks and ask the owner for advice.

Or I finally ended up walking the neighborhood that I loved here in Cancun and wrote down For Rent numbers from the signs on the buildings. There were so many vacancies (due to Pandemic???) that I found a place I liked in 2-3 days.

Good luck in Merida. I can't wait to visit next month. It's a 4 1/2 hour bus ride from here but it looks gorgeous. ---Matt A

Maskinas!
We are also residing in west palm and looking into the Cancun area for a year or so!

Hola!

We are currently living in New Orleans heading to Puerto Penasco in September. Have secured a home for 6 months and likely will stay in Mexico beyond that if we find affordable housing.
We are newbies to moving out of country and appreciate any and all experiences, advice!

welcome to expat Mexico  llarocco,

When thinking about Cancun be aware that it is not problem free and not Florida in any way.
Except possibly the expense part. It's not Acapulco, but there have been a few cartel related issues. It's also heavy with venders selling.
Not a deal killer, but something to be well aware of. On the plus side are the beautiful beaches and some excellent restaurant's. I go there once or twice a year for brief vacation trips but decided long ago that it was too tourist focused for me to live in.

Travellight,

In the past 2 years I've been to the Cancun area about 8 times. I know it is super touristy. However, I am from the city of Chicago originally. Tourists and visitors and all those things really don't bother me. The cartel related issues aren't a deal breaker either! I like the idea of the tourist area for our first year so the kids can learn to adapt easier, which may sound bazaar but I think it's best!

I have been visiting Mexico for decades and last year during shutdown I met the most amazing and wonderful woman from Mexico. We met last June online, met up in Cancun for our first meeting and date and it has been one of the greatest blessings of my life. She is from Culiacan and lives in Mazatlan. I prefer the PlayaDelCarmen side so I am buying a place there and we intend on living on both sides starting next year when my son leaves for college. She wants to stay in Mexico and has no interest in living in the U.S. I share her sentiment and I look forward to a great new life after kids with an amazing person. If you live in the Playa del Carmen area please feel free to reach out to me. I wish everyone the greatest life wherever you may end up!

llarocco. I share your sentiment as I am from the big island of Hawai'i and I now live in San FranSICKO.  You should come down to Playa del Carmen and check it out. Touristy but not as bad as cancun and without the high rise Miami style life.  Most of the tourism has moved down to tulum so Playa del carmen is a perfect medium between waht you're looking for. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss.

Hi. I'm from USA and moving to Merida. I don't know a single person in Merida or in Mexico for that matter. Feel free to say hello.

Hello all

Looking to move over to Mexico to work and hopefully for good! I have spoken previously to people about Mexico and they have nothing but good to say!

Does anyone have any insight into when the Nogales border entry to the US will be open for Mexicans to cross into Arizona?  The restriction keeps getting extended month-to-month.

hobomona wrote:

Hi. I'm from USA and moving to Merida. I don't know a single person in Merida or in Mexico for that matter. Feel free to say hello.

Hi,  I am currently living in Huatulco Crucecita Oaxaca.  Come visit if you want to be near calm ocean and breezes.

NKM1314 wrote:

Hi Friends!

Moving to Merida and looking for a 1 bedroom with killer wifi. Im a nomad so this will be my first round in Mexico.
Should I look though an agent or is there an easier way to find a place outside airbnb? (or just negotiate offsite?)

I came to Huatulco in February, booked an airbnb.  Decided I wanted to stay so looked for a  place. I now have a condo rented for 5 months. Another couple I know that moved here this year booked and airbnb for 2 weeks and during that time found a longterm rental at a price they could afford.    My suggestion would be that you rent an airbnb for 2 weeks to a month and during that time look for an apartment in Merida. Once in the city on the ground you may likely find something that you can't fine online.

Hi my name is Dondre Wellington I was just told about this beautiful place it reminds me of so much of  Jamaica I would love to take a chance to come out there and enjoy this and potentially live my life how I want to

dondrewellington wrote:

Hi my name is Dondre Wellington I was just told about this beautiful place it reminds me of so much of  Jamaica I would love to take a chance to come out there and enjoy this and potentially live my life how I want to

Hi Not certain you were replying to my post. about Huatulco, crucecita, oaxaca.  If you are we can keep in touch. I will be here well into 2022. Send me a message.

I recently got my Residencia Permanente Mexico Visa. To complete the process I was going to drive to Los Cabos because I have pets. I found out I cannot drive my car there with a Residencia Permanente because I have foreign plated.

Now what?

Hi Everyone, my name is Dena & I live in the southern part of the U.S. I would like to retire in Mexico by 2023. I'm researching Puerto Vallarta. So glad I found this site.

Hi My name is Anaelle. I recently moved to Cancun from San Antonio, Texas. I'm also looking to make new friends.

Hi, we'd like to rent a place in San Miguel for a month to look at neighborhoods and determine if we'd like to retire here.

Hola a todo@s:

Mi nombre es Dolores Jimenez, es un gusto saludarles.

Soy venezolana y junto con mi esposo me he ido del país.  Actualmente estamos en Francia,  pero es una estadía temporal.  Mientras se regulariza el problema de la pandemia. 

Nuestro interés es regresar a Latinoamérica.  Especialmente México.  Desde hace mucho que esta patria nos llama mucho la atención.  Su gente, su cultura,  todo nos encanta.

Me he metido en este foro para conocer expatriados que nos puedan ayudar con información.  Temas como costo de vida, seguridad,  tramitación de estatus legal, oportunidades de empleo,  entre otros, son temas que me gustaría discutir.

Sin más que agregar,  muchísimas gracias por la bienvenida.

Hola a todo@s:

Soy venezolana y junto con mi esposo, tengo un año fuera de Venezuela.   Actualmente estamos en Francia,  pero es una estadía temporal.  Mientras se regulariza el problema de la pandemia. 

Nuestro interés es regresar a Latinoamérica.  Especialmente México.  Desde hace mucho que esta patria nos llama mucho la atención.  Su gente, su cultura,  todo nos encanta.

Me he metido en este foro para conocer expatriados que nos puedan ayudar con información.  Temas como costo de vida, seguridad,  tramitación de estatus legal, oportunidades de empleo,  entre otros, son temas que me gustaría discutir.

Doloresji wrote:

Hola a todo@s:

Soy venezolana y junto con mi esposo me he ido del país.  Actualmente estamos en Francia,  pero es una estadía temporal.  Mientras se regulariza el problema de la pandemia. 

Hola Dolores
Bienvenido a ex-pat México,

La mayoría de las personas que vienen a este foro no hablan español. ¿Habla usted Inglés? Aquellos de nosotros que hablamos inglés y español somos un grupo pequeño, por lo que sería de menos ayuda para usted.

denareagan wrote:

Hi Everyone, my name is Dena & I live in the southern part of the U.S. I would like to retire in Mexico by 2023. I'm researching Puerto Vallarta. So glad I found this site.

Welcome to ex-pat Mexico denareagan,

You have come to the right place, there are a number of people who will likely help you with information about P.V.

Thanks Travel,
I've been hesitant to post here because my questions are so basic. I wonder if there is anyone who is living in PV who might be willing to answer questions for a novice about moving to Mexico
Thanks Dena

I am in the same situation as you.  Should you get a response and a contact, I would appreciate you passing that along. Appreciatively.

I am like you also looking to retire permanently in Mexico because of the significant lower cost of living and beautiful weather.  I am hoping to plan a trip there is October or November for a month. Are you renting out your condo and if so, what is the size and how much. Appreciatively, Heath

Welcome to expat.  Like you I am hoping to retire permanently in 2022. Seeing a furnished place for a month in October or November to do some research first.

Would you share a little about the process and the cost please?  I am hoping to do same in 2022.

Hi Heather,
My plan is to move at the end of 2022. I will go to PV in December or next June. All my research so far has focused on PV, but I'll explore other places too.

From what I've read it sounds like it's possible to live on SS if you're not extravagant. Would you like to keep in touch & share information? I live in Charleston SC & I'm in my 60's. If you're interested let me know how you prefer to communicate ie text, email etc.
Thanks for posting,
Dena

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I am most certainly open to connecting.  I would love to video chat on SKYPE if that is suitable for you.  I have all the other video apps as well if another works better for you.  I am thinking of a trip this fall to research a permanent move in early spring. I think PV maybe be a good start because of direct flights out of the airport. Air polution is apparently bad thought.  Also large expat community.  Let me know what you think,:)

Is there an email address that you could share.  I am thinking of PV and rentals for a month that are reasonable, in anticipation of a permanent. Perhaps they would have contacts there.  I imaging Mexico as large as it is, is a small network and everyone knows everyone in business. Appreciatively, Heather

Hi Annabelle, I am an open networker planning on doing what you have done and would appreciate getting to know you.  Should you be open, I would be delighted to video chat.  Let me know. Heather

Do you have FB messenger? Could send my email address to you that way. I don't want to put it out on the forum. Dena

Closed