New members of the France forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the France forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in France if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi, we are a Belgian couple who came to live in the middle of France some 8 years ago. From busy Flanders we moved to rural Burgundy ... the best choice ever !!! We started to create our own little kingdom. Animals, gardening, freedom in nature ... Now we come to experience that life is great out here but there might be room for a third female member of this little family. To enjoy life together, chores in the morning, fun the rest of the day ... So if you might consider living with a new family for a while or who knows, for ever ... feel free to contact us :)

Hi and Happy 2021! Hope you are all well :)

My wife and I are looking to move to France this year if possible. We're aiming to live in the Grenoble area and enjoy the beautiful scenery and lifestyle. We hope to be able to visit Grenoble some time this year and do more foot on the ground research and searching (especially for accommodation) but that depends very much on the developing COVID situation.

We will both be looking for jobs that allow us to live there. Myself as a web development/ JavaScript engineer, and her in a data analytics role.

Our journey has only just started so we will have plenty of questions and look forward to all the help and advice that everyone can give.

Kind regards,

Designer023

Designer023 wrote:

Hi and Happy 2021! Hope you are all well :)

My wife and I are looking to move to France this year if possible. We're aiming to live in the Grenoble area and enjoy the beautiful scenery and lifestyle.
Kind regards,

Designer023

Welcome on our website,

Hope you will enjoy it.

As we advise all newcomers, take the time to read the guides that you will find under the "discover" tab as well as the old discussions that you can filter through the magnifying glass located next to your avatar.

I don't know if you speak French but if not, please start taking lessons in order to integrate much more easily !!! Good luck to you

Thank you! Yes, learning French is a key part of our plan. We are currently learning french as fast as we can. I know a small amount from school lessons and holidays but not enough for regular daily life.

It will take a while to be fluent, but we will try and immerse ourselves as quickly as we can.

Do you have any recommendations for learning quicky or areas of the language to learn first?

not really ... I would focus on daily things like shopping , public utilities, things that touch to contact with neighbours ...
I worked a long time in Brussels and was convinced my French was more than ok ... well, I have learned plenty since we live in France ... :)
Showing goodwill is what works best following me ..

@vsam , @Designer023,

sorry to interrupt you but this part of the forum is reserved for the presentation of new members. It would be better to open a separate discussion to chat about anything and everything.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi everybody!

I'm in my mid-40s, moved to Los Angeles from France in 1998 to study film, ended up meeting my husband here. I have the dual citizenship, so does our kid (who is bilingual), my husband is American, he only has the American citizenship and is SLOWLY starting to learn French.  We both work in the entertainment business (Film/TV).

I'm an only child and it's tough being away from my parents (both in their mid-80s, my mother has leukemia) who live in the middle of nowhere in Poitou Charente. For the last 20 years, I've gone back to France twice a year to see them, for Christmas, and for 2 months in the summer, but because of the pandemic, haven't seen them in a year. Lots of stress and sleepless nights.

We're considering moving back to France for 6 months and maybe longer (when one of my parents passes) and even retire there one day... But we're very confused. The local French consulate is no help - they keep referring us to VFS Global which is no help either (any request, I get an automatic "go to our website" and the website doesn't answer my questions).  Can't even figure out the carte vitale issue etc (I've never worked in France, I left in my early 20s.. ). French administration is very complicated. Seems more complicated than getting the Green card and American citizenship  (handled that paperwork on my own!).

Anyway,.. Would love to meet,  potentially befriend other long-term French expats in the
U.S trying to "find their way back to France", and potentially help each other out, with administrative and strategy tips, maybe immigration attorney referrals etc.

Thank you
kind regards
Severine

Hi everyone, I'm Ferdinand Mallari a British citizen . Looking other opportunities to live and work .

Hi everybody!

I am a British expat married to a French man. I lived in France previously, then moved to various countries and have now returned to France. I've been here since 2020.

I am self-employed as a translator/interpreter and I work from French and Italian into English.

I joined this forum because it is incredibly helpful for expats and I wold like to meet people in similar situations.

Thanks!
Clara

Hi there!

I'm actually living in Canada, but my plan is to go live in the south of France next year. Most of the organizations here in Canada help people from 18 to 35 to find job and other administrative papers. I would like to know if any of you know about a place that helps people over 35 in their project to move to France.
Thank you all ! ;)

Hi Severeen

I am not sure I can be of any help because I am in a different situation (Belgians living in France)
But I always thought that you keep your French nationality and if you are married to a US citizen, he has the right to live here with you ....
Also something important i learned if you come to live here for good : declare your taxes out here as it brings you a lot of benefits, especially when you have no income from the French government.
Concerning the "carte vitale" ... it took me over 1 year to get mine where as my wife had it after a month or so ... no clear reason why, but yeah plenty of calling and paper work. In my case it seems there was a problem with a document from Belgium to insure my rights for the healthcare. I guess you best take contact with the (sous)- préfecture of your parents hometown. They should be able to get you started with things ....
It is true that the administration is slow and complex but once everything is done, life is not bad at all out here :)
Good luck to you and yours Severeen

Hello to you all and many thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm originally from Tanzania but have been living France for over 12 years. We first lived in Isère and now in Charente Maritime.
I'm in my late forties and a mother of 3 grown-up kids. I work as a Private Tutor (English) online as well as face to face. I've been a teacher for as long as I can remember  ;) .
I'd be glad to offer my help to new comers with any necessary information that I'm familiar with.
Cheers!

Many thanks!

char2022 ... did you try the local France consulate ? I suppose they can get you on your way ...

Hello to all!
I'm a British expat recently moved here with my French partner.
I'm looking for opportunities in the financial sector as per my experience in London and also desperately trying to get up to speed with the language.

As the language is a barrier to certain jobs at the moment, I've been looking at other avenues(teaching English), to bridge the gap.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

When I first moved to France, I started work as an English teacher. I trained for a CELTA certificate, a one-month course, which is accepted everywhere.

However, if you are just looking to teach temporarily while you look for more permanent work, I would recommend a TEFL course, which start from 20 hours all online. Take a look here: tefl.org.

To teach English in France, most places would require at least a TEFL certificate.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any other questions.

Have a great day.
Clara

Hi Clara,

Thank you so much for the very helpful information.

I've started looking into both and then listened in Friday to a TEFL webinar.
For me it's likely to be temporary assignments until things change and/or gain greater experience .

Have a good evening!
Rob

Greetings..... My name is Theresa and I relocated to France from America about 6 months ago . I am living with my French husband in a small rural town called Corcieux located in the Lorraine Region. I am looking for a  French tutor. Please let me know if you are interested and/available during the Spring. Thank you!🙂

Hi All, I am Helen. moved to Brittany from England early 2000 I am retired and have a love of animals all, especially horses dogs now retired, love the countryside and there is plenty of it in Brittany, I would be happy to be on contact with expats, my French is certainly not good but still learning..good luck to all

🛎Bonjour Helen!

I trust this message finds you well.

I am not long here in the South of France, and loving it;)

Stay connected and I'll keep you posted on some of the exciting solutions I have available for us expats.  This is a great platform to get started with connecting I must say.

I look forward to staying in touch!

Blessed regards,

Lady

Thank you Lady, I shall stay in touch
regards Helen

We are going to move to central France this year with our dogs and horses, just waiting until we can come and view property which hopefully wont be too long now as lockdown  seems to be easing soon. Learning the language online currently so hopefully will be able to speak a bit once we are there. I'm most nervous about driving on the left but I'm assured that you do get used to it!

Hi I'm Naeem I live in Paris, I really happy to meet new Peoples here and getting new experience and knowledge. Thanks to the founder and everyone here

Hullo everyone, am new here and nice know you all am interested in the opportunity to stay in france. Thanks

Hey mrs you introduction caught my attention clearly but by the way am from Tanzania in African continent can we be friends

🤝👍

Hello everyone
We have just sold our house in the UK and once we are allowed to travel,  we will be moving over as soon as we can. We have both taken early retirement.
We have done a lot of research and are getting our heads around all the legalities.
We have started learning the language online, but will probably think about lessons once we get across.
We are looking at poiteau charente area, so would love to hear from anyone in this area.
Ann-Marie

Hi Anne Marie

Just a couple of things I have learnt since coming here as retirees last year. You may not need a mortgage but its worth thinking about organising one otherwise you get stuck between two positions. Non resident in UK you can't get a mortgae there , no accounts in France making it difficult here. Just a thought. Otherwise enjoy your hunt the are you are looking at is one of my favourites.
Mark

Hello sir and madam my name is Aboubakar am come from Africa in Tanzania am proud to reply your email because what your looking for i can help you to find and make sure that you are staying without any obstacles can i invite in our country

Hi there,
I am Ukrainian and my hubby is French. I've just received my visa and I'm planning to move to France this summer. I am a teacher of English to adults and he is a barman-mixologue. I am here to find out more about an expat community and find some likeminded people to grow my network.

Will be glad to get acquainted with you, guys.

Iryna

Hello!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

I am an American from a small state called Connecticut.  I am currently living there and am an undergraduate student at the University of Connecticut studying computer science and French.  My goal is to eventually apply to a Masters degree program in France for computer science after I graduate.

I have been to France once, and I also have a friend I am in contact with who lives there as well as my boyfriend who is French.  I decided to join because I think it is a really valuable experience to learn, be able to ask questions and contact other expats who have been through or would like to go through a similar process to the one that I would like to take, as well as share any knowledge of my own that may be useful for others. 

Thank you!
Donny Sauer

Hello/bonjour!

My husband and I are American and will be moving to France this summer with our children for approximately a 3 year stay. My husband is being transferred with his French company for his job. I work for a very small American company and I would love to keep doing my same job remotely while in France, so I'll be looking at those kinds of topics.

Elizabeth

Hey hope you are well can i get in touch with you

ElizabethinUSA wrote:

Hello/bonjour!

My husband and I are American and will be moving to France this summer with our children for approximately a 3 year stay. My husband is being transferred with his French company for his job. I work for a very small American company and I would love to keep doing my same job remotely while in France, so I'll be looking at those kinds of topics.

Elizabeth

Except if you find an international company, if you want to work in a small company, you will need to speak French...

Hi,

As a spouse, you can stay in France along with your husband with no problems as long as your husband has a formal contract from the French company and allowing your husband to work in France, fully covered by the French social security protections. 

Depending about his contractual situation, it is possible though and if your husband is covered by a French contract and  the French social security system that you could register as a spouse under the same social security coverage. In this case you will get all medical cares paid back partly or totally... (In this case come back to me when you know)

Questions: Will your husband have the same American contract and salary as in the  US.?  In this case the French company must know exactly how to register your husband to the French authorities in order to be fully covered and protected by the French social security system. This is relevant for worker's social and injuries protection as well as public liability problems should they occur while working in France.

As far as you are concerned, will you be working only remotely at home as a digital worker in France under your current American contract? In this case you should not proceed with any registration at the French authorities for working in France.

I'll be pleased to inform you further according to your answers.

Henri

ElizabethinUSA wrote:

Hello/bonjour!

Elizabeth

Hello and welcome on our website,

Feel free to read the guides edited by members and the old topics. You may find a lot of answers on several subjects.

Just a small remark, it's better to open a new topic instead of discussing on the presentation one.

Have a good Sunday.

ElizabethinUSA wrote:

Hello/bonjour!

Elizabeth

And where will you moving? Some towns in France become more and more unsafe, above all big cities...

STEFFIFI wrote:

And where will you moving? Some towns in France become more and more unsafe, above all big cities...

Clermont-Ferrand

I'm in Fougeres. It's supposed to be the best small town for living in. It has a big castle and many gardens and surrounded by parks. Seems very pleasant. 20 minutes from Rennes.

Closed