Maternity Care in Hungary

Has anyone here received maternity care that can tell me what I can expect with doctor visits?

I've heard it's similar as to the states in terms of how often you see the doctor and what tests they conduct. Do they have the rhogam shot for O- mothers? Also, does anyone know when the sex of a baby can be determined? I always thought it was 14 weeks, but someone had said they knew at around 11 weeks.

Thanks!

We've had two kids here in Hungary, last one over 10 years ago so our knowledge is quite old.   

If you are in the system, you should be called for ultrasound but you can just do it yourself privately if you want full colour and movies to take home.  Sex of the baby is can be seen on the ultrasound if you really want to know.  You can just arrange these yourself if you want more than the ordinary services. There are lots of places offering diagnostics.

Mrs Fluffy got the immuglobulin for O blood from the hospital I think it was.   She had a consultant looking after her.  He was her doctor and he was the one who was selected to deliver the baby.   

BTW, there's a baby book you need.  You should be given that book and it covers everything about mother and baby during the pregnancy and thereafter.   It's like a record of all your visits and results. I think you get it from the GP.

They usually call mothers to be,  Kismamas.

Thank you for the information!

momof21980 wrote:

Thank you for the information!

Let us know how you get on or how it worked out for you in the healthcare system.

I also seem to remember that you can get some free gifts from the baby magazines.  Once they know you, they send you little things like sample bottles of baby shampoo in a box with some discount coupons.

BTW, don't forget to look for Kismama clubs near you.  Might be difficult if your Hungarian is not good but you will meet other new Mums in the hospital. Easy to make friends there as you can share  experiences and information.