Melita Contracts

Hi!

I've seen that if I want a no download limit internet, i need to do a contract for 15 or 24 months. My question is, if after 4 or 5 months in Malta, for some reason, i had to leave the island definitely, what will happen with the internet contract?

i think contractually you would be bound to complete it by way of payment but if your not here then i fail to see how they can force you to pay up.....especially if they do not know where you are.....not necessarily the right way to do it but hey ho it does happen....

just what us expats need toonarmy - another expat doing a runner leaving debts behind...

and then we wonder why enemalta, maltacom, vodafone etc either don't like giving contacts to expats, or demand a hefty deposit.

I agree George,

on the one side you have all these complaints about 'unfair' treatment and downpayments for foreigners but then you shouldn't expect the best offers without being bound to a longer term contract.After all , a contract is agreed to and signed by both parties.

If you are not sure that you can fulfil the contract , don't sign it. That would be my advice.

i wasnt condoning it at all guys just saying that it happens - i pay my debts as most do but it does happen - you all know it - dont you - and please dont be higher than mighty - you all know that you arent.....we are all human...and its not like the malti aren't rip off merchants are they....after all melita and go arent without fault now are they....come on guys be honest......- i simply state what happens regularly everyday....whats the problem...after all the malti are about to rip off every "foreigner" every day with the new bus tarrifs..... and the EU havent got a clue.

and besides if this happened (and i am not saying these guys would) i am simply saying they wouldnt be the first and they sure as hell wouldnt be the last...IF they did!!!!

I also pay my bills and respect all the contracts i sign! I was asking only...

toonarmy9752 wrote:

..after all the malti are about to rip off every "foreigner" every day with the new bus tarrifs..

I, and I believe you, are residents - are we paying the higher bus fares ?? No - its non-residents who are being ripped off  with the new bus tariffs, not foreigners

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and besides if this happened (and i am not saying these guys would) i am simply saying they wouldnt be the first and they sure as hell wouldnt be the last...IF they did!!!!

and thats why foreigners get a bad name, and are asked for deposits

We are guests in Malta, and we should all learn to behave as such. If you don't condone stealing, don't bring it up as an option - be aware, many Maltese read forums like this, and don't appreciate foreigners running away from debts.

I NEVER SAID IT WAS AN OPTION - READ THE POST....JUST THAT I FAILED TO SEE HOW A SUPPLIER OF SERVICE CAN ENFORCE PAYMENTS.

as for foreigners, well as soon as you open your mouth you are immediately a foreigner ...no mater whether you pay taxes are resident or whatever....and thus get treated that way simple. Yes we are guests and indeed should be treated with respect.
I am sure many malti do read these forums...its still as far as i know a free country...and as such at liberty to express an opinion...many maltese do not like the foreigner.....no matter what their nationality whether they pay their debts or not. Many still want Malta for the Maltese but dont wish to relinquish the revenue the foreigner generates, and in fact he country would probably fail if it werent for the dreaded foreigner.........they cannot have it both ways...

so nobody here in this forum has ever signed a contract that they have never read  - or never fully read - yeah right!

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

and thats why foreigners get a bad name, and are asked for deposits

so a malti always pays his bills does he? and its only foreigners who run away from debts...read the papers!

georgeingozo wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

..after all the malti are about to rip off every "foreigner" every day with the new bus tarrifs..

I, and I believe you, are residents - are we paying the higher bus fares ?? No - its non-residents who are being ripped off  with the new bus tariffs, not foreigners

are they not foreigners?

do I agree with the different bus tariffs, no, is it discriminatory, yes, is it legal, well thats yet to be determined -  however, its nothing to do with whether someone is Maltese or not, its about residency

what about Maltese living overseas, without a Maltese ID card ? They pay the higher rates, so clearly not all Maltese pay the lower rate. I as a resident pay the lower rates and I'm a foreigner, so its clearly not all foreigners pay the higher rate

George - its still disgraceful...a typical ploy to increase revenue at the expense of the tourist - a resource that the country desperately needs to function. Sorry its gone of topic.

Unless I am much mistaken, I believe that both GO and Melita have a fairly nominal contract termination fee for just such situations! I believe the GO charge is €50 to terminate a 24 month contract during the term.

i think you also have to pay something like that as a deposit for the equipment too - refundable when you present your maltese id card...

Back to the original question:

"I've seen that if I want a no download limit internet, i need to do a contract for 15 or 24 months. My question is, if after 4 or 5 months in Malta, for some reason, i had to leave the island definitely, what will happen with the internet contract?"

I use melita for internet, and use the low range 25 down connection, I have no contract, paid a 100 euro "install" fee which includes free downloads after 11pm or something like that have something like a 40 gig per month download limit ( after  which I pay more )   I usually do at least 100g per month down, and have never been charged extra...  Keep in mind I only run torrents at night so it doesne count against my 40, but I have still crossed it nearly monthly. 

no complaints on service, but the speed's almost what they are selling so Im happy.

Chad

i pay 13.85 per month (24 month deal) for 10mbps speed with 150 gb download limit over a rolling 30 days....and get free downloads overnight 11pm till 7am.....no complaints.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i pay 13.85 per month (24 month deal) for 10mbps speed with 150 gb download limit over a rolling 30 days....and get free downloads overnight 11pm till 7am.....no complaints.

Which service provider is that with, and how long is the contract?

Melita and 2yrs.....

the speed is spot on and "it does what it says on the tin"

Toon,

Do you have to ring Melita for that as its not showing on there website....

J.

i dont believe its available now J

but given time there will be offers at some point - my guess is that now they will push the fibre optic onto new subscribers....

Toon... see the other thread "internet" they are doing a very good Summer special for €25 euros

J.

I pay 50 euros, Mileta fiber 50 I get 52meg down and 2.2 up. no bandwidth allowance, and I use it like nobody else does with a constant 2mb down 18 hours some days. I gave them a deposit which was about two months and that was that. Jim

jim IPTV wrote:

I pay 50 euros, Mileta fiber 50 I get 52meg down and 2.2 up. no bandwidth allowance, and I use it like nobody else does with a constant 2mb down 18 hours some days. I gave them a deposit which was about two months and that was that. Jim

Jim, please clarify for a non techno junky,...What does it mean when you say "a constant 2mb down 18 hours some days
Is that referring to speed or the amount of data downloaded?

Here in SA we pay a flat fee for the ADSL line (Eu50), and then we pay (Eu4) per Gig  of data downloaded.

I have another question which i am not sure if it belongs in this section but here goes: I have seen comments on some of the blogs that internet also comes bundled with TV and landline telephone, can anyone explain how that works?

I am pulling 2mb per sec down non stop. You don't have to have tv with broadband go on Melta web-site and it shows the bundles if you want to, We have a pay as you go house phone, which we have never used (don't even know how to). All I wanted was good broadband because I get my TV off that as well as work on it. Jim

Jim, sorry for pulling an old thread out of the woodwork.

I play a lot of xbox 360, what is going to be the best connection for me to look at when I move over?

melita have the best internet service in my opinion - its not so much about best its about value for money and speed for your needs

have a look at www.melita.com

theyre internet servcie is now all optical fibre with a min speed now of 25mbps they also do 50 and 100 services too.

Hi I know this is an old thread but we are leaving malta sadly house hasn't sold so need to go back and live there. We are 7 months into a Melita 24 month contract how much is a cancelation fee any help would be great thanks :-)

Dear Nicandsi,

Be sure to claim your deposit refunds for internet/telephony/TV service provision:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=278904

Nicandsi wrote:

Hi I know this is an old thread but we are leaving malta sadly house hasn't sold so need to go back and live there. We are 7 months into a Melita 24 month contract how much is a cancelation fee any help would be great thanks :-)

Not sure that there is a cancellation fee, I think you have to pay out the rest of the contract.
However I would phone them and explain that you are  having to leave the island unexpectedly, they may be sympathetic.

Terry

Oh well thanks for that info. But a very dear friend of mine who is resident put the phone in his name for me. As we were intending to stay but all this stuff with our house we just have to be there. But I of course do not want to leave him with any expenses due to myself. But was just curious as to what cancelation fees Melita charge .

Many thanks

Oh thanks for the reply terry. My friend is also on the case. We are waiting for Melita to get back to us.

Quote 'force majeure' to them, it may help.

I used to do that with my phone contracts (that is already a couple of years ago) but I told the company I will move to another country and that I would still like to use their service. As normal domestic companies normally dont service you or arent able to service you in another country then you have a good way of negotiating.

As far as I remember we just canceled the contract.