Roku Box and Apple TV OR Melita & Go Tv - - ?

I am trying to decide if I should buy a Roku Box and Apple TV (Both £180 one off price), and just pay 25 Euro from Melita for Internet & Telephony bundle per month.

However does Netflix work outside UK?

Or Just go for the ..... (Melita Family Package for 60 Euros per month)

Anyone tried the above route?

Thanks

Hi SMeddie

I use Apple TV here in Malta for film rentals and purchases and TV Programme purchases. We have a 30mpbs internet speed with Melita, it works seamlessly with this.

I bought and registered the box in UK and use a British credit card for purchases on my British iTunes account. I am able to access Movies, TV Shows, Music, Trailers, YouTube and Vimeo, Photostream etc 

However, I am unable to access Netflix as I could in England (it tells me it is blocked as I am not in the right geographical area to access it). I was a member of Netflix at the time of moving the Apple TV over here.

You need to ensure that your Apple TV location in settings/ iTunes store is set as UK to get the TV shows section to appear. Otherwise you will be unable to view purchased TV programmes or purchase any. One day, I reset the Apple TV and it defaulted to Malta as the location and I was unable to access TV programmes.  Movies were unaffected. I changed the location settings back to UK and the TV programmes reappeared.

So, if you have and maintain a UK iTunes account you should have no problem with Apple TV other than no access to Netflix.  However if you register Apple TV in Malta I suspect that you won't be able to view or purchase TV programmes.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Charley

PS. I haven't tried the Roku.  If you try it let us know!

Nice one Charlie, thanks for the info.

You can also get FILMON with apple Ipad (and apple TV ?).

Terry

I haven't seen FilmOn available on the standard UK Apple TV. Though I hear some people hack their Apple TVs and put all sorts of Apps on it. Perhaps that is possible.

Thanks Charley. Now I will definitely be buying the Apple TV. FYI Roku is cheaper but Apple Tv is better.

NB - Someone called Mike is trying to sell me his services but I am having doubts. Has anyone been contacted by him regarding MaltaUkTv. I don't get it. ... Is this some sort of scam?

no its not a scam - ask for a demo and see it for yourself...

Maltauktv. is not a scam there is around 260 people in Malta all getting the top 22 free to view channels and catch-up service from it, but ask for a test as it really depends on your local internet and don't believe those broadband-tests as they don't give you a true broadband quality result. I am sure Mike or one of the other resellers will let you test a box on your connection, much has been done recently to improve the service and this can be seen in the reliability. You could also search on IPTV box on eBay, maybe find a bargain. , missing Malta so much maybe I can get back this year again. Jim

are they still on course for Hd quality on these boxes Jim - easter has been and gone....

Got the first two on my desk.. been very busy with moving data center and PVR facility so we are a bit behind, we are working on converting the whole platform over to a different codec so it plays on ipad etc so soon as that is done we will be back on the new HD box project,

do you have a timescale for it...

They way it's going Xmas, we are launching a new charity project in Jamaica and it is sapping up the hours, we have a new guy starting Monday who should help. I am not pushing to hard as the current boxes are playing well and everyone seems happy with them now we have added the new routes,
Jim

I think I will try one of theses boxes! Apple TV might not serve me best. jim IPTV2 Are your boxes part of Maltauktv OR a different service?

same service, I used one the whole time I was in Malta, it's not SKY but works. If you life depends on HD quality don't buy it, I am sure if you ask Mike he can demo you a box, also SHS have them as well, Jim

jim IPTV2 wrote:

same service, I used one the whole time I was in Malta, it's not SKY but works. If you life depends on HD quality don't buy it, I am sure if you ask Mike he can demo you a box, also SHS have them as well, Jim

Much appreciated honesty! - Will definitely try it out.

Thanks

Although the roku and the Apple TV are both great choices, the roku runs off of an android operating system as the Apple TV uses iOS obviously.

In most cases the Apple TV must be jail broken to enable it to install 3 rd party applications such as filmon and 1channel for viewing movies and TV content (in some cases live TV streaming ) if you have an Apple TV 3 rd generation you will be limited to only renting movies from iTunes and cannot view free content other than YouTube and apple free streams which consist mostly of trailers and apple keynotes and also podcasts and Internet radio, but unfortunately a jailbreak for the Apple TV 3 has still not been announced.

Now the term jail breaking a device might shy most of you off but know a few things about it first ...
Jail breaking is the choice of the user and taking in a jail broken device to apple might void warranty so be sure to backup and restore any I device frequently to have a recent backup of what ever device you might have so you can restore once you have it back. What

I personally use an Apple TV 1 st generation running xbmc, I use Melita s 30 Mbps at 30 euro a month and it satisfies all of my entertainment needs

Other player you might consider are:

Roku 3
Pivos
G-box
Midnight

Don't just go for any media streamer as it might not do what you want it to do.
For other programs like Netflix or Hulu you would need a to purchase a dns forwarding Prog so the applications thinks your in the country of which you are making a request to their servers

Happy streaming

same service, and popular now in Malta, Jim

Just to be clear

My previous post has nothing to do with maltauktv ....
Streaming through Apple TV or roku or any other system that can handle xbmc is transmitted and reicived without a subscription !!!!

I wonder if anyone can advise me on this one.

I have the Melita bundle wich includes TV/Internet and Telephone and as you all probably know, the standard Melita channels, are pretty much crap. Now, I have an Android mobile phone (Note II) that it's connected to my Smart TV wireless and I can transfer any video or files content to my TV via an app that I installed on my phone (iMediaShare). I also installed the FilmOn app on the my phone and it works pretty well but unfortunately, does not allow me to stream what I see on the FilmOn app directly to the TV via wireless.

My question is, do you guys know of any app where I can stream live content via a share app from an Android to a Smart TV wireless? I know I can hook my phone to the TV via an HDMI adapter but it would be great if I could do it via wireless.

Thanks in advance!

Antonio

Hi,
I am trying to get my Apple TV to work here in Malta. Would like to use netflix as well, but am technically not a nerd.

Can you recommend someone to help?

Jinx

to access netflix in malta you will need a vpn . I can reccomend unotelly , they do a months free trial  and it lets you chose if you want to use uk or usa store too

There is Apple shop in Tgne shopping centre in Sliema you could try there or check on line where there is technical support team in Malta.

There is Apple shop in Tgne shopping centre in Sliema you could try there or check on line where there is technical support team in Malta. Netflix does not work here in Malta.

I have a smart TV flux net does not work on there.

Limelady wrote:

There is Apple shop in Tgne shopping centre in Sliema you could try there or check on line where there is technical support team in Malta. Netflix does not work here in Malta.

it does if you use a vpn , im using netflix currently
https://www2.unotelly.com/devices
this tells you hot to setup on each device register for free trial away you go .. also check email day before end of trial you can extend it for a month 3 times by tweeting etc

With respect Limelady you do not show that you know about these things very much.
netflix does work provided you access it correctly. Rob is correct.
It is not as simple as just plugging things in and expecting them to work particularly if some items are brought abroad and brought into Malta.
Most require use of a Virtual Private Network (a VPN) to fool the host channel into thinking you are elsewhere, other than Malta and 'licensed' to receive their output.
BBC iPlayer is a classic example.

Rob,
Thanks for your response, is there anybody I can pay to put this together for me??
I am a bit of  klutz when trying to install things properly on IT side of things. Not to mention lazy! :-)

All advice accepted

J

yes, i could ask my partner to pop in one night after work , he works  on tv boxes as part of his job etc so im sure he wouldnt mind coming and sorting it , send me your mobile number by pm and ill get him to message you

Hi everyone

I use UnoTelly the same as Rob and it works particularly well and easy to use.

However I would recommend caution regarding the Roku Box and Netflix.  There is an issue which has been identified on UnoTelly's website very recently and has been mentioned on many technology news sites. Netflix now "forces public DNS lookups on the Roku. To get Netflix working correctly on your Roku, you'll need to perform an additional step of setting up static routes to block public DNS servers".

The problem with this is if you are with Melita Internet they use a Cisco modem/router that doesn't allow you to make the required changes.

I have two Rokus. My original Roku stick bought 8 months ago still works brilliantly with Unotelly and Netflix despite the recent changes; but a new Roku 3 that I purchased on December does not.  This is despite me having set it up in the same manner as my first Roku. All other services such as IPlayer work fine on both boxes, so it is just Netflix that has issues.

I hope that is helpful in case anyone was thinking of going out an investing in a Roku specifically for Netflix. It may work, or may be not.

I also purchased an Amazon Fire TV box at the same time as the Roku 3 in December.  That has the Netflix app and works fine in conjunction with Unotelly in Malta. (The UK Amazon Prime Service works well also on this box.)

Charley

Hi Charley,

Is it necessary to have all different boxes or equitment to get a TV service (watch news, movies and British TV: no premium sports or movie channels) without subssciption?

I appreciate you might need them for your work, you might buy everything that comes out to always be ahead of technology because you're interested and use them a lot or for any other reasons. I'm just curious to know if it's NECESSARY to constantly buy different and upgrade the equipment.

Cheers, Russell

no i use my laptop plugged into tv by hd , i use filmon netflix bbc iplayer itv 40d etc all via the web browser

Hi Russell

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am a bit of a home cinema geek! So, no, you certainly don't need every box out there to access everything. You can do just as Robpw2 does and use a laptop and / or connect it to your TV. The disadvantage can be not having a simple remote control. Robpw2 might have a solution for that.

In the UK there are a whole variety of different devices available for purchase which can be connected to a TV and which offer different TV catchup services and access to subscription services such as Netflix but they don't necessarily offer all in one box.

One should note that the access provided by VPNs to all these services are not strictly legal.  It's against the terms and conditions of many of these services, iPlayer and Netflix for example, to access them from outside the territory in which they are made available. So anyone doing this, does so at their own risk.

Hey, took to the net and figured it out, took like 2 minutes!
Thanks for the help though, and now things work much better !

Thegroove wrote:

Hi Rob,
I have tried to access BBC Iplayer from Malta with no success

ill pm you

My friend has been using https://www.unblock-us.com/ with success, its not a VPN but works on DNS so that the authentication is done via any country you like (circumvents the geo look up DB at the provider)  but the content is delivered from your nearest proxy.

That is to say its cheaper and better then VPN services. Works with BBC, Netflix ( you still need an account, but you can set your appletv local to US) amazon TV etc..

brayster99 wrote:

My friend has been using https://www.unblock-us.com/ with success, its not a VPN but works on DNS so that the authentication is done via any country you like (circumvents the geo look up DB at the provider)  but the content is delivered from your nearest proxy.

That is to say its cheaper and better then VPN services. Works with BBC, Netflix ( you still need an account, but you can set your appletv local to US) amazon TV etc..

unotelly is the same its dns rather than ip

I simply use Hola (others are available) with Google Chrome. Works a treat.

First time I've seen this thread but can add my personal experience although I'm apple biased as I've used macs since they came out. I am NOT in Malta yet but have discussed this before - Im in the UK but my broadband is very poor, have tried various dongles etc but without doubt the apple tv came up number one, now for the problem, if you want to run XBMC then you need to buy an apple tv 2 NOT a 3 as you cannot put it on.
I tried XBMC on my macbook air and it runs a treat but its far better on an apple tv as the apple tv is plugged directly into my router and my tv's hdmi port, just watched a couple of days ago a 2 hour film without a hiccup, tv programs run with no problem.
My son who is in spain uses chrome cast but even he has gone over to apple tv, its just a better cashe technology.

If you don't want XBMC and you just want whats on the apple tv a new apple tv 3 is the cheapest option BUT make sure you can get the services in Malta - hope this helps

Roku Box or Apple TV, which to purchase? When you decide which one to buy, you should ask yourself that do you usually purchase and rent movies and TV shows from iTunes store? If the answer is yes, you should know that iTunes movies and TV shows can be streamed by Apple TV, that is to say, Roku Steaming Box is not compatible with iTunes videos. Therefore, you can purchase Apple TV. But the price of Apple TV seems a little expensive. But if you prefer to Roku Box and would like to use it to stream iTunes videos, you can purchase Roku Box and DRM Converter, then you can stream any file with Roku Box with a lower price.

it should be said that this thread was last commented on over three years ago