Internet

Hello all
I am moving to beijing next and would like to know.
Is are sites like skype, and facebook blocked?And if so how can you get round this.
Regards,
Keith

Skype is not blocked.

Facebook, Twitter, Picassa, U-Tube and some Google functions (for example Google Docs) are blocked.

To access them you will need a VPN/Proxy/Tunnel - get one before you arrive.

Dear all, please do NOT post the names of solutions on this or any other open forum.  If you want to help Kantchr then send him a private message with your access solution.

I'm using China Unicomm dsl with their modem and a TP-Link router flashed with English firmware.  The environment is much more variable than in the U.S.  Speeds go up and down in a wide range depending on time of day - and what you are looking at.

I use a software VPN solution from the U.S. but it is not perfect or as secure as a hardware solution I had previously.  Even when its up there is still dns leakage, you can find yourself blocked sometimes etc.  And that also means that when you think you are secure you are probably not.  Cost is about $6 a month and that includes a connect for the iPhone.

Many, many sites are blocked even if you would not think the content was subject to censorship.  There is also some kind of process that goes on where the .gov determines you are looking at something you shouldn't be, and they drastically slow down or completely block your internet access for a short period of time.

The main thing is to try and access your private information through some type of encrypted tunnel.  Whether its email, your bank accounts - whatever.  Anything you are using a password for, especially if you share passwords between accounts.  Its hard to say what they do with all the traffic that is beihg filtered, but it is certain that they store certain patterns of user activity and login/password combos would be of interest.

Last thing is to understand that the Great Firewall evolves pretty quickly.  It would not surprise me at all to see them block VPN and secure comms completely at some point and issue licenses to larger companies for their use.

Just so you know, Skype is secure and cannot be monitored as long as you have not downloaded it within China. China has a different and altered version, but its still officially Skype. Be sure to have skype on your laptop before going to China.

Same for updates, I only do my updates through the VPN for Windows, and wait till I am back in the U.S. before updating Skype or anything that is non-essential.