2 cops trying to make a quick buck

It has been awhile since I was last on here. Not to make a long story a will get to the facts. I was on a date in Puerta Plata and the woman I was with plus my driver ended up in a bar. 3 guys were harassing my woman and we ended up in a brawl. My driver grabbed me took me to the car and we drove off. Next day 2 cops came to the bar with a document but, my name was spelled incorrectly. The document could have been a legal one but, I don't know.
5 days later I boarded my flight.
my question is,
If the document was legal they would have arrested me at the airport. Yes or no
If the document was fake I should be able to return to the DR. Yes or no
or,
The cops had a fake document and trying to make a quick buck?

How could they have even known what your name was?  Anyway, another shakedown.

Obviously from his girlfriend .

Not obvious at all if they rushed away.

This is probably a legal-ish document as most things in this country are -ish (not so black and white). As with many things in this country we are a little behind how things are done in countries such as Canada and the United States, so even if that is a fully legal document there probably isn't a simple way to have that sent to the airport customs, etc. The documents sent to hold someone from leaving I would assume would be of a more severe infraction than a small bar fight with 3 locals.  The systems here just aren't as robust as they are in other countries.

Yes, the police were probably looking for money, that is "unofficially" part of their job. You would of had to pay a "fine" if they found you or deal with the court system.

To me the more important question would of been how did they know your name? If it was spelled incorrectly it sounds like it was given to them by a local. Who knew your name? Even if you paid your bill with a card it doesn't sound like they got your info from a receipt otherwise I am assuming they would of spelled your name correctly.

I work in the tourism industry here  (catering to Canadians and Americans) and our driver's have many visitors that want to spend time with their "friend" or "girlfriend". Just be careful with that as these girls often times talk to our driver's very candidly and about 90% of the time it is just about money but all the guys of course assure me otherwise.

The only time I see visitors getting into trouble is when they assoc. with people they shouldn't be.

You should be fine to return. Most police are moved around every 6 months so there is a good chance you will never see them again but if you do, be prepared to pay a small "fine" curbside or get into an argument with them.

Cbrick welcome to the forums!  Thank you for your input!

No real way to confirm based on the information provided. We could assume all day long and you know what that does. I have been here 15 yrs and never experienced anything like that. Maybe you were getting crazy and deserved to be arrested ? All you said was you got in a brawl.... Back home you may have been arrested for a brawl, right.... Chances of anything ever carrying over to a later date are pretty slim. No records are kept at police level for a brawl.  Good luck -- sound like you are hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Thank you for your input. I think the girl I was with set me up for a payday., with 3 locals and the police.

It was a good workout for me, didn't last long but good.

The moral of the story is becareful the dates you go on!