Are there any areas with no beggars or hustlers?

Are there any areas of the DR without people begging or hustling foreigners for money?

well, there are areas like Naco and Piantini, where guys drive McLarens   and Teslas, and you cannot afford the real estate.

However even there you will find people on the streets at the traffic lights begging.

Seriously, there are areas where this is much more prevalent.  It's where tourists and expats tend to be.   

There is far less of those who look for expats in non tourist areas.   

To handle this, a firm but respectful no gracias along with the infamous finger wag generally works.  Then walk away.  If persistent stay respectful and firm.   If they don't go away threaten to call the police.  Most back down.

This is not a Dominican phenomenon.  It's everywhere there is a disparity in the haves and the have nots.   And right now things are desperate for many. I don't give hand outs, but I do give a hand up whenever I can.

i hear you planner. i just have a serious problem when people who are  guests of a country judge it by the least of its people. maybe if the poster sat down in a quiet moment, and considered what he  wrote, he might rethink what he asked.

When a country does not have universal health and social care for all, you do get people begging. The guy with one leg who hops between cars at traffic lights on Sarasota uses this as his source of survival and gets my help.

The lazy wasters who have migrated to tourist spots deserve no compassion.  They either can hussle selling stuff or be ignored.

I don't see anyone begging in the campo where people have little. Here extended family support functions well.

I absolutely love the sense of community and family.

You don't see the homelessness here like you do in many developed nations!   We have many malnourished here but few are starving.   Why is that?   Because culturally people here care!

So your answer is, no, you dont onow of any such places.

Colonel  who are you speaking to?  Your comment is vague and is intended for what?

I tried to reply to...cruffman....maybe ot went to the wrong spot, sorry.

No worry,  was checking as I was not sure.

Before this comment dies completely I will just add that what many have said is absolutely true. These folks are everywhere I have been so far. As Planner says, a firm no gracias will suffice. As I don't generally carry much or any cash when out walking, I sometimes simply say no, lo siento, no dinero as I pat my pockets. SOme of the regulars I see in Moca get something every now and then. When you reside in any area, you generally know where folks looking for handouts will be found. I've been many places in the world and apart from one or two locations, there are always beggars and always will be. One learns to deal with them firmly and respectfully....

The fact the OP joined the expat.com forum and his first 5 contributions were asking the same question 5 times in 5 different country forums tell me all I need to know about him.
And with a user name of USS Valor no less.  Shame on you.

Thanks for this I will investigate and deal with him

did you read what i wrote?  go to Naco and see if there are guys there hustling foreigners.  be careful not to get run over by a youngster in a Ferrari Enzo...

Thanks for the info so far. It has been very helpful. I will be relocating to the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale with my mother and although she's excited about living in an exotic destination, she's very nervous about moving to a foreign country. We just watched a video on YouTube about hustlers and beggars that Mr. T published and it freaked her out a little bit.

Please do not accept what Mr T says - he is trying to get subscribers.  He is all about controversy and hype

I have been here 17 years. In tourist areas there are more hustlers.  There are more con artists.   Learn to spot them and manage them and its not a big deal honey.   

There are good people here who can help her and you get settled and meet others!

Ugghh...Mr.T has done so much harm to the North Coast with his outright lies and fake stories.  When will people stop believing his crap???!!!

Adding on slightly, I noticed that many of us come from areas where haggling is unusual.

A vendor offers a price and most people expect to take it or leave it.

In the DR, almost everything is a haggle. If you don't learn to haggle, people will generally just overcharge you compared to others. Also, dealing with smooth talkers, or whatnot isn't something you expect to do.

If someone lies to you, just walk away. If you feel confused/uncomfortable, just walk away.

It may be a nuisance to feel like people are coming after you to sell you on anything they can, but strengthening yourself to not waste money due to low sales resistance is a skill that can be built up.

That said, if you feel like giving a bit of charity, that is okay, too. You won't be able to help everyone, but helping someone you see and like is decent and human.