Best way for a foreigner to travel?

Hello, everyone.

I am visiting in December for a couple of weeks.  Would like to travel along the coast, from Posorja up to Crucita, maybe even farther north if I have time.

What would be the best way to get around?

bkiser wrote:

I am visiting in December for a couple of weeks.  Would like to travel along the coast, from Posorja up to Crucita, maybe even farther north if I have time.

What would be the best way to get around?

Brian, I would recommend you choose one of the following two methods of travel, depending on how many places you might want to visit .. how much flexibility you want .. and the distances involved...

1.  Rent a car for the first week.  Bring a credit card, as some rental agencies in South America do not honor a debit card for car rentals.  Look into whether you need an international permit in addition to your USA drivers license.

2.  Hire a taxi by the day or for multiple days.  This is much less expensive in Ecuador than in the USA, although if you keep the same taxista for days, you will have extra expenses beyond a negotiated rate, including meals and lodging.

cccmedia

My first exploratory trip to Ecuador I rented a car at the airport, it worked out well. No significant problems with the roads or signs. Since moving here we have used mainly the bus system with occasional taxis for very local trips.

Thanks, guys!

I was seriously thinking about renting a car, but had three worries.  I think you implicitly resolved one of them:  I was afraid I couldn't drive with my USA license.  I was also worried about the cost, and driving on roads that I don't know.  I read (have NOT confirmed!) that the penalty for driving the wrong way on a one way street is two weeks in jail.  That's scary to me.  But I do prefer having a vehicle at my disposal over a taxi driver that I basically "rent out" for a couple of weeks.  I feel like I can be on my own schedule with a rented car.

I guess driving laws are not too difficult to adhere to?  Speeding is a non-issue for me, as I'll be driving extra carefully.  Car rentals... probably $40/day?

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : bribery is not tolerated
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
bkiser wrote:

Thanks, guys!

Car rentals... probably $40/day?

Depending on the vehicle (obviously) but I think you are very low on that estimate, cannot remember what family paid when they visited  and hired a car a few years back, but I remember the old boy moaning about how extortionate it was (compared to car hire in Europe).

Of course it depends on the type of vehicle rented, and the location and whether you are returning it to the same place - but $40/day is do-able, and even cheaper.

Here's several links:

https://www.enterprise.com/es/alquiler- … uador.htmlhttp://rentadeautosecuador.com/https://www.sixt.com/es/renta-de-autos/ecuador

parrotsrest wrote:

pretty sure i rented through Kayak app out of Quito airport. didn't have this experience but read about it and was ready for being stopped by policia or transito with a $20 dollar bill  to be handed over with my license if stopped and asked for my papers.

Ohhh, I dunno.  You get an honest cop and bribery can be a serious problem, I bet.

In my limited experience, the police in Ecuador and Colombia are way more forgiving and less likely to pursue petty infractions than in the states. I have been witnessed going the wrong way more than once by cops, but always have been waved on. Tickets are a distant concern behind not hitting a bike, moto, pedestrian, dog, other vehicle, ,big pothole, or a bus. Wouldn't think of broaching subject of bribery, unless offered by the other party.

Not driving in late afternoon and evening reduces risk immensely. Pedestrians and other drivers seem to value their lives less as the day wears on.

Another option for you to take buses when practical and hire private drivers when needed.  You can like hire a driver for $40 plus fuel.

Dottore Luke wrote:

Another option for you to take buses when practical and hire private drivers when needed.  You can like hire a driver for $40 plus fuel.

Would that be for a day, as in 8 to 10 hrs? Seems like a fair deal.

I hired a driver with car on the same basis in Costa Rica, but by the month. It was safer plus helped me with Spanish. It was a good security feature as well.

Excellent, thank you.