Buying and Exporting a Vehicle From Ecuador

Hi All,

I tried to find a post on this but could only find ones on importing a vehicle from the US to Ecuador; I am looking to purchase a vehicle in Ecuador and then ship to the US.

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for an exporter and/or shipping company?
2. Is there a service that would complete this purchase in my interest without requiring a trip to Ecuador?
3. If I were to go down there, how difficult is it and how much time is need to get the vehicle titled in my name?

Thank you!

It might be helpful to let us know what vehicle specifically you want to export from Ecuador to import into the US, and why.  If it's a truck, it may be charged a duty of 25%.  Cars and motorcycles are considerably less, about one-tenth of that.

There are many bureaucratic hoops to jump through no matter whether you're importing or exporting.  Plus a comparable model vehicle is almost guaranteed to be more expensive to buy in Ecuador than in the US, because of the many taxes and tariffs in Ecuador, and with shipping fees and port costs on top of that.

You should also be aware that many vehicles sold in Ecuador will not pass the safety certifications and emissions certifications to allow them into the US.

Here are several links about what you have to do, to import a vehicle into the US:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- … orting-carhttps://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle

For California  pre-1974 vehicles are exempt frim emissions modification as they are classics.

Dear Reed,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ...

Don't do this purchase-and-ship project.  It makes no sense. :huh:

As Brother Archer's excellent response on this thread shows us, this is a complicated situation.  In fact, it's probably more complicated than these few Expat posts may show.

Are you doing this to save money because you think it's cheaper to buy in Ecuador and ship to the USA?  If you post again, please explain your motivation.

By the time you finish with such a project, your life could be turned upside down .. almost every waking moment having the same thought -- why did I do this?

The logistics alone could be horrifying for a first-timer. :o

cccmedia