Climate Change and DR

With all the other problems the world is facing, we perhaps forget or rather lose sight of how climate change is impacting lives in DR.

In the past year we have had drought in various provinces with huge fiancial impact again and then recently a bonus of rain through tropical disturbance activity. Maybe more is to come in a very active season.

The world community has been hopeless in working on a unified approach to climate change with politicised rants from the commercial corner. Rather like the pathetic global approach to the covid19 pandemic.

It seems certain elements prefer a ' lemming approach'!

DR cant do too much to avert the pending crisis nor will suffer as some island nations. But all nations need to unify.

But perhaps we have a new President who cares. I read the idea to use as much biomass as possible in Punta Catalina instead of dirty coal. He also uses an electric car and I would hope he develops policies to encourage use of cleaner and more fuel efficient vehicles especially getting rid of dirty big old commercial vehicles so common here for more efficient types.

The world needs enlightened eco leaders now.

Had to start such a thread having seen the mess the US west coast is now suffering with fires everywhere and orange skylines in photos just now from my son living there. World wake up!

I commend the DR.

In the US we can't even agree on the problem, much less a solution that might address max cost / benefit measures w/ minimal disruptive impact....

Last I checked (it's been a while), the DR had about 1/10th  the per capita cases as in the DR.

I'm shortly to leave, heading your way, testing data in hand, two suitcases and dog in tow.

To start again from scratch.  At 66.

Regards,

JR

Yes this thread is a good reminder.   

What we are seeing is unprecedented and it won't get better without conscious effort across the world.

Let's hope the new govt is willing to step up.  It's effecting all our lives and will only get worse.

Yes, while climate change is a natural occurrence and not 100% caused by humans, there are definitely many things that can be done to help clean up things. I agree, let's hope the new government has some plans to address issues in the DR....like more/better incentives for using resources like solar and wind as an example. Old, smelly vehicles are an issue everywhere - that will be a big challenge if they ever decide or can even afford to try and address it.....have a great day everyone.....

Garbage cleanup would be nice - less littering

It was amazing to see in the CV crisis how quickly the air became clean when less cars were on the road.
Major cities in India for example..... could see the mountains for the 1st time in years
China was cleaner....

It can be done.... and we will ALL be living differently for a loooong time

2VPsoldier wrote:

Old, smelly vehicles are an issue everywhere - that will be a big challenge if they ever decide or can even afford to try and address it.....have a great day everyone.....

I like the concept of taxing carbon fuels and that means petrol and diesel taxes. You rebate the public vehicles. It makes people think twice when they buy gas guzzling vehicles. Right now the big companies are investing in more fuel efficient heavy goods vehicles such as Scania, Volvo and Mercedes Benz, but the owner drivers are still buying big old second hand polluting Mack trucks and the like.

I wish we all could afford a Tesla electric vehicle like the President. I do like the hybrids with 55 plus miles per gallon and decent performance.

I do fully support more renenwable electricity with tax incentives and especially domestic use. But we need an electrical distribiution sytstem that allows customers to feed into the grid  any excess they produce.

Besides recycling of plastic litter as an amendment to asphalt paving (basically locking it up for decades) and thus lowering the costs and extending the life of highway projects, some other low hanging fruit might come in the way of a 'pays its own way' method of combing Coir (coconut  husk) and washed Sargassum as a composting feedstock with the ultimate goal of restoring overgrazed soils, etc.

I'm going to work on that.

JR

Composting is something that is not happening here enough.

There is an over reliance on potash and bone fertilizers at the campo level. I was discussing this yesterday with my wife's grandfather as we started constructing my herb and vegitable garden. I am lucky I have some excellent loam topsoil on my property but that will need to be given nutrients. We discussed adding cow manure and I threw in setting up a compost bin. We generate plenty of green waste maintaining the 30 tareas so it should work.

Composting is so underutilized here and costs nothing.

So little putting back what is taken out of the soil.   And this is years and years of bad practices.