Car Accident During COVID-19

I was transiting on an urban avenida passing through a green light when a BMW coming from an intersection traversed my way and applied his brakes as he saw me coming. He was on a red light. I applied my brakes and tried to steer to avoid him to no avail. So my Toyota samurai warrior hit his BMW´s German ass solidly at the right passenger door. My front fender was damaged and I also broke my right signal light. What to do in this case?

Due to COVID-19, the Brigada Militar, Policia Civil and Guarda Municipal don´t do Boletim de Ocurrência at this time in Rio Grande do Sul. It must be the same with other states. So these are the steps to navigate that:

1. Take pictures of the "Carteira de Habilitação" and the car´s documents of the other party.
2. Get his phone number.
3. Names of witnesses and phone numbers if any.
4. Go to the "Delegacia Online" to create an account (cadastro).
5. Follow the steps to declare an occurrence of a car accident. It will need the names of the parties involved, the plate numbers, codigo renavam, etc. So make sure your document shots were clear.

This will resolve future problems if he or she doesn´t pay up to repair your car if he or she was at fault. And I hope that you weren´t drinking because authorities in Brazil routinely use a breathalyzer for blood alcohol level if they happen to attend to you at the time of the accident.

I did just that and declared online despite the fact that he admitted that it was his fault and promised to repair my car. He further stated that if I call the police, his provisional license would be cancelled. I called the Brigada Militar but directed me to call the Guarda Municipal. They came but did not issue a Boletim.  A 19 year old "filhinho do papai." So I did an "orçamento" with an "oficina de chapeação" and relayed the message through e-mail. He went to pay for my repairs the next day! So, I´m scheduled for repairs next Monday.

This "Delegacia Online" can be used to do "Boletim de Ocurrência" of any kind - from robbery, maltreatment of animals, domestic violence, etc.

robal

Thanks, Good to know.
Hope you are well.

I´m fine. I´m just hoping that he learned a lesson to stop on red lights.

Teen's think they are "bulletproof". Since he worried about his license, does not seem he is a "quick" learner.

Sorry that this happened to you.   Glad you're ok.