Returning to Colombia in the time of Covid 19

I am currently in the US and am waiting for the airports in Colombia to reopen and commercial flights to resume from the US.
The latest I have heard/read is that Colombia is scheduled to reopen the airports and resume commercial flights inbound starting 1 September on a trial basis.
Anyone know of any changes to this?
Also, do any of you know of any viable alternative means of getting from Conus to Colombia in September?
Thanks in advance

Marquezdl wrote:

The latest I have heard/read is that Colombia is scheduled to reopen the airports and resume commercial flights inbound starting 1 September on a trial basis.
Anyone know of any changes to this?
Also, do any of you know of any viable alternative means of getting from Conus to Colombia
in September?

Conus to Colombia?

Continental United States, I am guessing.

----

Flights resume September 1st.  Meanwhile land and sea borders are closed.  This is according to the World Nomads site at www.worldnomads.com in an update today, August 3, 2020.

cccmedia

The U.S. State Department has just lifted its global warning against international travel by USA citizens.

So travelers from the USA can fly to Colombia starting in several weeks having their home country's blessing, provided Colombia does not extend its ban on passenger flights past the longstanding date of August 31 (2020).

According to NBC News, neighboring Ecuador is the only country in South America currently allowing foreign citizens to enter.  Most travelers entering Ecuador are supposed to self-quarantine for up to two weeks.

cccmedia

See this link from early August for the latest published info I have found on the web:

https://colombiareports.com/colombia-wi … r-traffic/

The latest I heard was pilot flights starting in September and more in October with the first "public" flights in November. Also, supposedly the government (some minister of something - the technical term) has asked the airlines for their top 5 countries -  Chile, Panama, U.S., Ecuador and Peru. And apparently Peru is still closed so the airlines asked for Spain as the 5th country. This is from an article on August 27. Clearly I read too much.

OP Marquezdl just reported on another thread of this forum that he has received an email from the U.S. State Department.  The thread is titled Expatriation to Colombia:  Border Updates.

He says the email told him some commercial flights into Colombia will resume on September 19th with "regular" commercial service resuming on the 21st.  There is no mention of a quarantine requirement.  A covid-test is required within 96 hours before flying, as confirmed in the email.

cccmedia

I received the same e-mail.  It says that as long as you receive a negative PCR Covid-19 test within 96 hours of departing for colombia, fill out the Check-Mig form at least 24 hours before departing for Colombia, and you use the CoronApp to assist with contact tracing while in Colombia, that you will not be required to self-quarantine upon arrival. 👍🏼

We will see how that works..

Because PCR tests in Colombia as of now take 8 to 10 days to get results in Colombia.

They cost about 250 mil pesos per person.

Even if they some how get the turnaround down to 4 days if you pay a "Premium",  there is no way that any country that currently requires a 14 day quarantine will accept a PCR test undertaken in Colombia in lieu of the quarantine.

I have a feeling after the first few flights and resulting chaos, the rules will change.

They had similar impossible to meet COVID testing and quarantine  rules for inter-municipio travel in some Departments prior to September 1,but they were never strictly enforced, and were all dropped after September 1.

Now you can travel anywhere in Colombia without Quarantine  or COVID testing of any type.

nico peligro wrote:

We will see how that works..

Because PCR tests in Colombia as of now take 8 to 10 days to get results in Colombia....

I have a feeling after the first few flights and resulting chaos, the rules will change.

They had similar impossible to meet COVID testing and quarantine  rules for inter-municipio travel in some Departments prior to September 1,but they were never strictly enforced, and were all dropped after September 1.

Now you can travel anywhere in Colombia without Quarantine  or COVID testing of any type.

Posters on this forum yesterday reported that the U.S. State Department had emailed them saying the covid tests are required to take place before flying to Colombia. They said that the rules allow Expat arrivals who are covid-negative to enter Colombia without going into quarantine.

cccmedia

Expats currently living in Colombia or people stuck here that werent able to get on an emergency flight still have to do the PCR test with results in  less than 4 days at this time.

In addition people coming in will still have to do the test when going back to their home country.AT TIME OF WRITING.. and will have to use the government tracing APP and in theory will be traced while they are here.

Like I said, I would wait until the New Year or  at least a  few weeks minimum before travelling  here.  Let the Guinea Pigs on the first several "Pilot" flights show us what is happening.

Also these rules could change quickly. Either officially, or unofficially.

They could drop the PCR testing rules (due to impracticality) and not have any testing or quarantine requirements like Mexico, which has a similar infection rate,  or they go back to shutting in the Airports again like Peru had to do after re-opening them briefly, because cases spiked  again. (I doubt Colombia will do this as the Government has suddenly , as of September 1 , taken a pro-economy laisez -faire approach to the Virus).

Also ; I highly doubt countries like Canada and Australia, who have 14 day quarantines will drop this requirement for people coming from Colombia even if they can produce an expedited   PCR test they paid an arm and a leg for.

And Europe still does not allow non-emergency flights or connecting  passengers from Colombia other countries in the  Americas other than Uruguay and Canada.

I am planning to return to Canada in late January, but I will have not been there for almost 18 months,  be going for 2 months and have a lot of time  (and money) built in my schedule for quarantine,  missed flights etc. If there are no commercial flights due to a second wave, there will still be emergency flights, at least.

As far as going in or out of Colombia in the next few weeks I would like to know Personally (NOT the government officially published story) from first hand experience of several people who end up taking the flights (I have friends who themselves or family are planning to go prior to the New Year):

1.) Can they actually get the PCR test in time? In what cities in Colombia are they avilable in that time? What is the cost?

2.) What other protocols are there ? (I have heard have to arrive at least 3 hours before the flight when leaving the airport, which I always do)

3.) what are the quarantine App tracing requirements in countries I am travelling to when I leave Colombia (or return home).(Arriving in Colombia you theoretically have to be traced with the Government App and fill out the MIG form ).

If you are in a rush, and want to get to Colombia in a hurry for some reason, better put a lot of spare time in your schedule in case you get stuck here. Same for EXPATS living here who want to return to Colombia afterwards.

Another issue is they are cancelling flights everywhere  a lot at the last minute due to under capacity. This will be even more of an issue now as Colombia is entering the rainy period .

Imagine you pay 600 mil for a PCR test , you get the results in 4 days, your flightis cancelled, you re-book for a week later and you have to have another test?

I have been through some major debacles flying domestically in Colombia and internationally to/from Colombia during the rainy period pre-Covid, I can hardly imagine the potential nightmare travellers would be in for now.

If you have deep pockets, a lot of time , patience for bureaucracy, regulations and delays you can fly now. Just think of yourself as a"Pioneer".Myself, I would wait a few weeks, minimum, for the dust to settle.