Krabi and Ao Nang

Hi all:

My name is Walt and I am a teacher from Alaska. I am 1 year from retirement and I have some questions about moving to either Krabi/Ao Nang. What can I expect to pay for a modest 2 bedroom home off of the beach area?

I have a Thai friend who is interested in opening a shop near the beach area and will need to find a shop space about 300-600 sq/ft. What should I expect to pay for star/shop rent?

Thanks for all your help..

Walt

There is a Facebook page Krabi/Ao Nang Real Estate where you can find lots of houses to rent in every price range.

For commercial property, Ao Nang is expensive on a relative basis to Krabi Town and other parts of Thailand. Anything near the beach is extremely expensive---and difficult to make a profit, though there should be a turnover of properties under the current situation. But rental prices for a one unit shop 1km from the beach  4m wide by 15m long will start at 30,000 baht a month and rise each 100 meters you move towards the beach

Thank you.. That rent for commercial property is a bit in the but for sure...I will look up the FB page for sure.. Thank you

Hi
Am looking for some place that is like Chiang Mai but has beach n clean air ..
The clean air requirement has narrowed my search to places south of Hua Hin such as Chumphon, Trang, Krabi, Phuket, Koh Samui or Surat Thani ..

Wonder if you guys could help me refine my search further 

Will be nice if can have a place with a big mall like Central Festival, n big supermarkets like Big C or Tesco Lotus, the beach is nice to go once in a while but i don't think i'll like to stay right on it, don't need to be near night spots either ..

people who stayed in Phuket were saying Krabi is nice, are they mostly referring to Ao Nang or Krabi Town in this respect ..

Thanks for the input

Hello
I can really only speak about Phuket. As for Central Phuket it is near Phuket Town and is about a 15 - 20 scooter ride to Patong beach. Patong has a Central Patong store but currently isn't open.

There is a Tesco Lotus very close to Central Phuket store and has a HomePro with it. And a large grocery department. Patong has  Juncelon mall that has a Big C that is open but the rest of the mall is closed. This is about a 5 minute walk to the beach

There are about 40 beaches on Phuket and about 10 of them are private so still plenty to choose from. The best are mainly on the west and southern coast. Hard to say which is the best beach. Rawai is more of a boating beach so not great for swimming. I just visited Naiharn for the first time and it was amazingly beautiful. Kata is said to be possibly the best for surfing but many are good for surfing.

Patong is probably not the place you want to locate to as it is the noisiest and busiest of the entire island and the most expensive tourist area. Bangtao is very nice and right on the beach. Surin is very nice as well. These areas are quieter and a bit closer to the airport if that is something that matters. And less expensive.

Hope that helps!

Great options. We were on Kamala beach and had a difficult time getting around. We were picked up everyday by a van. But that can get expensive. Next time I will do the 8 hour drive from Bangkok so I have my own car.

I travelled all over Thailand looking for clean air, sea breezes and a place with amenities like Central Festival, good super markets, Hospitals and an International airport. Koh Samui has them all and its a cool place to live in many ways. I think overall the best climate in Thailand so add in clean air, good rainfall, beaches etc etc what more do you need??? Some opportunities right now with so many businesses permanently closed and fingers crossed a trickle of tourists soon to start?
If you need any more info on Samui drop me a line, I visited Ao Nang on my quest for a place to settle and in my opinion Samui is so much nicer with lots more in the way of infrastructure and amenities at pretty much the same prices, no comparison!!!!!

Have you seen Thailand Rob on Kamala beach recently?

So what about hospitals?  Cost of a condo close to the water.  1bedroom.  Rent ok too.  Thanks

Prices vary and beach side obviously quite expensive anywhere in Thailand & especially tourist areas like Samui. You are best to jump online and look for yourself, Remax is on agency that comes to mind but there are quite a few. Mostly asking prices are high but what they will accept is normally considerably less, however not many real estates agents like to admit this as they are on commission which is normally 5% so its in their interest to keep prices up!
Several International hospitals here and all are of a good standard, Thailand medical is good!

Thanks to everyone for the information,  it will certainly come in useful

Paulsamui wrote:

I travelled all over Thailand looking for clean air, sea breezes and a place with amenities like Central Festival, good super markets, Hospitals and an International airport. Koh Samui has them all and its a cool place to live in many ways. I think overall the best climate in Thailand so add in clean air, good rainfall, beaches etc etc what more do you need??? Some opportunities right now with so many businesses permanently closed and fingers crossed a trickle of tourists soon to start?
If you need any more info on Samui drop me a line, I visited Ao Nang on my quest for a place to settle and in my opinion Samui is so much nicer with lots more in the way of infrastructure and amenities at pretty much the same prices, no comparison!!!!!

Thanks for the input,
Am actually looking for a base for long term stay n to use it to periodically travel to other parts of Thailand..
Samui looks really good but I've never stayed on an island before so wonder if it will be inconvenient doing so n if I will get bored or have a feeling of being “boxed in” after a while ..

The other thing I'll appreciate is some wisdom on villa ownership if possible

Someone said to buy a villa using a local Thai's name n to make him

a) sign a debtor note indicating that he owes me money to the tune of the villa's value
b) pre-sign property transfer agreements so that i can sell the villa without his presence in the future
c) sign a note stating that all his family members cannot lay claim to the property if he passes on ...

All this will be done in the presence of a lawyer .
I have been advised to put in the names of family members who will inherit the property  if anything happens to me for added safety.
Wonder if this will work  ...