Emigrating to Brazil during pandemia

Hi everyone!

We had already given up on our plans to move to Brazil as we thought that our house would never get sold during the pandemia.Last week, we had an offer of full asking price which we couldn't turn down.House was up for sale for 2 years.

Our plans now are to be ready to leave Ireland in September/2020

I know that there's no problem for a Brazilian national and her spouse to enter Brazil just now but due to restrictions on Policia federal, my husband might not be able to register with them within the 90 days required.I contacted PF in Florianopolis and they told me that appointments have not been made and only emergency cases are considered.They also told me, regarding to documents that need to be valid for those 90 days, they will be only counting when the service is back to normal.

I'm aware the whole situation sounds mad but if we don't take this opportunity now, we might not get another chance  so soon.

I would like to hear from you members, would you take the chance if you were in my situation?

KatHScott wrote:

Hi everyone!

We had already given up on our plans to move to Brazil as we thought that our house would never get sold during the pandemia.Last week, we had an offer of full asking price which we couldn't turn down.House was up for sale for 2 years.

Our plans now are to be ready to leave Ireland in September/2020

I know that there's no problem for a Brazilian national and her spouse to enter Brazil just now but due to restrictions on Policia federal, my husband might not be able to register with them within the 90 days required.I contacted PF in Florianopolis and they told me that appointments have not been made and only emergency cases are considered.They also told me, regarding to documents that need to be valid for those 90 days, they will be only counting when the service is back to normal.

I'm aware the whole situation sounds mad but if we don't take this opportunity now, we might not get another chance  so soon.

I would like to hear from you members, would you take the chance if you were in my situation?

The COVID-19 condition here now, is worse than Ireland. And then the 15 hour flight from Dublin to
GRU is a very long flight and your exposure to SARS-Cov-2 is facilitated in an enclosed space. I would think twice before I hop on a plane to Brazil now. Let´s hear takes from others!

robal

Hi Robal,

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, I have thought about that as well. My husband 's only thought is that his pension will go a long way  :/ in Brazil.
Believe me,  I'm the one who is cautious

Be sure you have good private health care insurance for all. As is now even that may not be enough with ICU's running at max.
SUS is collapsing.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Be sure you have good private health care insurance for all. As is now even that may not be enough with ICU's running at max.
SUS is collapsing.

ICU beds for COVID-19 is the main issue right now. In Novo Hamburgo where I am, all the ICU beds are occupied, so you have to get well at home if you ever get sick. It´s extremely stressful right now. What state and city are you going to?

robal

If you want to risk it because you just have to come, at least do a prophylaxis like the meds I posted at COVID-19 thread around 2 days ago and the new one I´m about to give you now. Here are the links. You should get a prescription from your doctor.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/27/heal … index.htmlhttps://br.noticias.yahoo.com/rem%c3%a9 … 03843.html

So it´s really up to you to make that decision.

robal

Congratulations!    I know what a relief it is to get a good offer after having a house on the market for a while. 
The situation here is as Tex and Robal have described it, and since government at the federal level continues to be in total denial, there's no way of knowing when it will improve.
I know what I'd do in your place:  take the offer, put my things in storage, and "preview" my retirement in a nice little rental in sunny Portugal until the coast is clear for the move to Brazil.

As Robal stated, ICU beds are 89% here. (2 additional cases needing ICU would push it 95%). 92 new cases reported just yesterday, giving us 754 cases with nine deaths.
Too many are not practicing social distancing. May have open too soon and we are having a large increase in cases, with over 1,000 deaths per day.
Kind of like jumping into the fire coming into BR right now.
Many pension would go farther, but risking the health may shorten the life of the pension.

Hi Texan,Robal and abthree,

Thank you all for your replies. I made sure that my husband read all of them so that he can get out of his bubble.It's hard to change his mind.

I may say that I am scared to s*** with the thought of changing my life during  pandemia. For some reason, It doesn't seem to have the same effect on my husband though.

It's a lot to process and  loads of emails sent to Policia Federal, Embassy of Brazil, Cartorios in Florianopolis(where we are going to live), estate agents etc.

abthree,I would love to stick around for a while but unfortunately we can't afford that even though Portugal is cheap compared to ireland.I have a daughter who lives there but she lives with her boyfriend in a studio. No room for us :(

One of the pros(or the only one) of getting to Brazil now is because of the currency exchange that will give us a better budget to buy a nice house in Floripa. My eldest son has been living in Santa Catarina since 2018 so we would stay with him if we were really taking the risk.

Anyway, stressful at the most. the  only thing I can do now is hoping for the best.

Thank you guys and be safe. :)

Same situation here in Florida. Sold our house and we're out of it last April. Missed the flight to Sao Paulo by two days. We are on a rental house paying $1500 a month until August.
I had all papers ready for myself to apply for residency but closed down the whole process back in April.
My wife is Brazilian. On the top of it we have cats and 6 suitecases!! We are in our early 60s too!
Less hours flight for us, only 8 and 1/2.
We will try to make it there 😊 if possible, infection cases, going down sometime in mid August. Good luck to all of us.

Hi dzgreek!

So we are not the only mad ones!  :D

Are you already in Brazil?

No absolutely  not!  :D
Same idea here on my part like your hubby ( excellent exchange rates).

We are waiting to see a deep on the infection rates to make a decision to fly.
keep fingers crossed!

abthree wrote:

The situation here is as Tex and Robal have described it, and since government at the federal level continues to be in total denial, there's no way of knowing when it will improve.
I know what I'd do in your place:  take the offer, put my things in storage, and "preview" my retirement in a nice little rental in sunny Portugal until the coast is clear for the move to Brazil.

Brazil is the last place on earth I would consider for a move during this covid era.

New cases have skyrocketed.  Only the Stable Genius's America* is worse off in the pandemic.

The president of Brazil :huh: doesn't get it.

For covid reasons alone, I agree with other posters... Anyone who would normally consider Brazil would do well to chill in "sunny Portugal" or in Spain until Brazil gets its act together .. circa 2036. :sosad:

cccmedia

*USA 3.6 million cases ... Brazil 2.0 million cases, over 77,000 deaths ...
    India 1.0 million cases
Source... Johns Hopkins University

The New York Times published an op/ed this week titled Trump Isn't the Worst Pandemic President / Just Ask Brazilians.

www.nytimes.com

The online version is accompanied by a six-minute video featuring the two 'presidentes' narrated by a journalist/on-camera presenter.