Family visas [Brazil > UK]

Hi folks,
I am considering returning to my home nationality of the UK with my Brazilian family for a few years to make the most of my home countries excellent free education.  How should we prepare? What are the definite 'must do's' that I can deal with here in Brazil? Should it all be done here in Brazil or when we arrive in the UK? A few points that I could do with help on — My partner, she doesn't speak good English at all, this has been great for my learning of Portuguese, but could this be an issue? Should she start an intense course of learning now? We are not married, I don't know if this would make any difference, I am not adverse to it and will happily tie bonds if it makes the situation easier, although would probably prefer to do this in the UK as it is probably easier and cheaper... Any advice would be amazing, thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Ordinarily, I'd advise you to read our England Guide (top of this page is a link to our Discover section, mouse over that and you 'll get a drop-down menu from which you get access to our Guide; but, you're a Brit and much of it is irrelevant, but it may interest your partner.

So, moving on, if you've still got a valid UK passport, no problem for you; if not, you need to renew it asap.  Your family will need current passports plus family visas.

For the visas, you need to check the UK Gov website that deals with that and see what visas you need to apply for; this link will take you straight there.

Language - is IMO always an important issue to be considered.  Life around here is all in English, with virtually no Portuguese language, so my advice would be to start learning now.

Marriage is not really an issue, except you will have to prove that you have been in a genuine relationship, so joint bank accounts, invoices, whatever with both your name and the same address.  Being married will save you having to prove the relationship.

Once you've read our guide and checked out the UK Gov link, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team