The Youth Mobility Scheme in the United Kingdom
Updated last year

If you are aged between 18 and 30 and are looking to live and work in the United Kingdom, the tier 5 youth mobility visa is the best option. With this visa, you can stay for up to two years in the UK. It also allows you to set up your own business and study without any limits. During this period, you can travel to and from the UK without any restrictions.  

Conditions and requirements

To apply for this scheme, you are required to submit your application at least six months before your scheduled arrival date. However, you must be outside the United Kingdom when applying for this visa. Application for the Youth Mobility Program can be made online.

Fees of £235 apply to the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa application. You will also have to pay additional fees accounting for healthcare insurance.

If you are a professional sportsperson, trainee dentist or doctor, you will have to provide solid proof to support your claim to practice in the UK.

Besides, to be eligible for this visa, you must be a national of one of the following countries:
New Zealand
South Korea
Hong Kong

British citizens living abroad and British overseas citizens can also apply for this visa. However, you are not eligible if you have dependent children living with you. Also, candidates who have already benefited from this scheme will not be considered.

How to apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

When applying for the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa, you will have to produce the following:
your passport or its equivalent or other travel ID
a bank statement showing that you have at least £1,890 as savings.
results from a tuberculosis test if you reside in one of the countries mentioned in this list.


These documents must be either written or clearly translated into English, or Welsh (if you will be living in Wales) by a certified translator.

Sponsorship for Hong Kong and Korean nationals

Before applying for the Tier 5 youth mobility scheme visa, citizens of Hong Kong and the Republic of Korea have to obtain a certificate of sponsorship. This certificate contains unique reference numbers holding information about the job they will be engaging in when they get to the United Kingdom, as well as personal details. You must apply for this visa within three months following receipt of your sponsorship certificate.

Useful link:

Tier 5 Visa - Youth Mobility Scheme

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.