Spouse visa application

Hi there, I've applied for a spouse visa ie the Family Visa Application as unmarried partners as we intend to get married in the next 6 months. I'm Singaporean and my partner is British. I wasn't aware that you're unable to apply from within the UK on a tourist visa and as such my application got rejected.

I was given the chance to appeal but wanted to know if it's possible to appeal from outside the UK as it seems that it will likely get rejected if I appeal from inside the UK again? Anyone have experience on this and can advice?

UKVI has been completely unhelpful in this area and have not been able to advise. I've already spent money on the first round of applications which will be lost. Immigration lawyers are telling me to just do a fresh application back from Singapore but wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar situation and managed to successfully appeal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to read of your problems.  My only comment is related to the appeal process; the UK Government have issued a document related to Appealing against a visa or immigration decision, you can read it by following this link.  My advice would be to read it and all the links it provides.

I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
@ Debs882
Trust you are safe and well. Really sorry to hear of your misfortune re spouse visa application.
It can be confusing.  Criteria keep changing and very easy applying for the wrong one.
Am married to a non British national by the way.   I will keep to your main point.
1. Best for you to try and ask for a refund & just say you got it wrong and will make sure you apply for the correct one next time. You can only try.
2. Go back to Singapore and apply for a fiance/e visa to get married in the UK.

Once married you can then go on to the next step.
We found it easier to get married in my wife's country by the way.
Please follow link provided by Cynic as well. 
Have all your documentations/proof ready  when dealing with your application now and in future.

I trust this will ease any frustrations and please don't let any mishaps get you down.
Regards
Rick
ps:  if needed - pm me.

@Rico20 Hi sir. I have read your good advise. I keep on researching online to find answer to several of my concerns, and I hope you could help me. Me (filipina) and my husband (british) will be applying for a UK spouse visa. But I need your opinion what me and my husband will do if he is using a shortened given name  on his passport compare on his birth certificate. But people known him by his passport name, and almost all of his documents are his passport given name including, bank statements, council tax, land registry, utility bills etc.. I am determined to just mention this concern on our cover letters; my next concern is, my husband went to his bank to request for 6 months bank statements, and his bank only issue 3 months in favour to him when he mentioned that he will be using them for the spouse visa. The bank wants him to call and request for 6 months bank statements, and wait for 2 weeks. We have more than 6 months printed out bank statements online though, side from the bank statements from the bank. We will apply visa very soon and can no longer wait for 2 weeks . Is it okey if again, if we will mention on our cover letters that the bank only issue 3 months stamped bank statement? But we will provide another 4 months print out bank statements. Any advise sir? Thank in advance.

@ Bethzeusie. 

Hello & thanks for your note requesting information.   I can only write & explain what I did in my situation. 

You mention 'Birth certificate & Passport ' details/names not matching.  I understand you are married.

Only time I had to use both documents (passport & birth certificate) as proof of identity was when getting married in a civil ceremony at the notary's office in my wife's country.

Applying for UK spouse visa: As far as I know - there is no requirement for your husband to produce his birth certificate as part of any documentation when applying for a spouse visa. Unless you know otherwise & it's a recent requirement.

As his passport and other official documentation show the same details, this ought to be fine - for what you need to produce. It is up to you & your husband to mention any of your concerns in your covering letter.

Bank Statements:  6 months. You have printed them already, that's fine.

His local branch should be able to print them as well.  Banks do not use stamps to confirm the documents are genuine.

Better still - ask your husband to include his previous P60 document (from his employer) as this shows his earnings/salary for the previous year.  This will provide further evidence of financial requirement.

I trust this has clarified some of the points you raised & wish you well.

Regards

Rick

@Debs882 Hello Debs,

I advise you not to appeal. The decision to refuse your application was unfortunately correct, since when someone is in the UK as a visitor they cannot apply for any other kind of visa. The result of any appeal would only be to confirm that the original decision was correct: an appeal cannot change the regulations.

You should do as you have been advised: return to your home country and make a completely new application.

I applied for a uk spouse visa from Nigeria. Had my biometrics taken in march. It's now 30 weeks and still awaiting decision. I called ukvi 6 weeks ago. And my application was said to have been escalated. I also received a mail that looked automated 5 weeks ago that my application is not straightforward and more time will be required. I have not been asked for more information or additional evidence. As we have already submitted 6 months bank statement, 6 months payslips, marriage certificate, housing report,  copy of my husband's birth certificate, British passport and other checklist. With copies of our 2 children's British passports

I'm just in the dark. Can't plan anything else. What is the longest duration an application can take to be decided and what can I do?

Note, my husband is British and I have 2 children who are also British citizens. They relocated back to UK cos of insecurity in the northern part of Nigeria where we all lived. I really want to join my family

I applied for a uk spouse visa from Nigeria. Had my biometrics taken in march. It's now 30 weeks and still awaiting decision. I called ukvi 6 weeks ago. And my application was said to have been escalated. I also received a mail that looked automated 5 weeks ago that my application is not straightforward and more time will be required. I have not been asked for more information or additional evidence. As we have already submitted 6 months bank statement, 6 months payslips, marriage certificate, housing report, copy of my husband's birth certificate, British passport and other checklist. With copies of our 2 children's British passports
I'm just in the dark. Can't plan anything else. What is the longest duration an application can take to be decided and what can I do?
Note, my husband is British and I have 2 children who are also British citizens. They relocated back to UK cos of insecurity in the northern part of Nigeria where we all lived. I really want to join my family
-@folakemi24

Staff shortages caused by Covid have caused massive problems in the UK Civil Service with many still working from home and any processes involving a piece of paper taking an inordinate amount of time to resolve.  So long as they are communicating with you and telling you the process is not straightforward (more than likely from their end because of staff shortages brought on by Covid), means you have not been rejected and your application is still being processed; unfortunately you will have to wait until they are finished.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@ folakemi24 - Seems to be a very long wait. 

Rest assured - you have done everything correctly.

Am sure you will receive some good news soon. 

Regards

Rick

Hi there,

I'm an Australian citizen who is currently working in the UK on a Working Holiday Visa. I'm looking to apply for an unmarried Spouse Visa in the UK by next April 2023, but can I apply to this Spouse visa whilst being in the UK on my current visa? I work for an employer who can't sponsor me.

Thanks!

Hi there,
I'm an Australian citizen who is currently working in the UK on a Working Holiday Visa. I'm looking to apply for an unmarried Spouse Visa in the UK by next April 2023, but can I apply to this Spouse visa whilst being in the UK on my current visa? I work for an employer who can't sponsor me.

Thanks!
-@Tobygenborg

You've told us very little about yourself, so it's hard to be more specific and I'm generalising, so:

• Short answer, no, you can't apply for this visa while in the UK (link).
  • For a work visa, the only option for a long-term visa is the Skilled Worker visa (link).

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic

Thanks for responding to me!

I'm 23 and have lived with my British partner in the UK for about 1.5 years on my current T5 Youth Mobility visa and have lived with my partner in Australia for 18 months before that. In the link you have attached it doesn't say that you cannot apply for a Spouse visa whilst in the country, is there something I have missed on this? I'm starting the visa application process now and it seems that you need 6 pieces of proof of residence. Would I need 6 pieces of proof for each of the 3 addresses I've stayed at with my partner since we have been living together?

Thanks

You could be right; as I said, you hadn't told us much to go on. If you go to the link I gave you, scroll down to the section where it says "How to apply" and it tells you (paraphrasing) that regardless of where you are, you must apply online, there are 2 options (from within and outside of the UK) if you chose the "within" and then check the eligibility, it says you can only apply to extend a family visa - you tell us you're not on one of those, so on the face of it do not meet the eligibility requirements. If you chose the other option and do it and tell them you are an Australian and wish to provide your biometric data in the UK, you get a message that tells you that for Applicants in the UK "You are unable to apply for a UK visa from within the UK." If I try any other option, it wants me to register with the Home Office and I'm not doing that.

Whatever your circumstances on the face of it are less than clear; you may find this link helpful; https://immigrationbarrister.co.uk/uk-v … -citizens/

They're a legal company that may answer your fundamental question of "Can I do this in the UK"

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi,

my husband applied for priority spouse visa from Pakistan and biometrics were taken on 28 oct. We received the generic email 2 weeks ago asking to provide more docs within 5 days as a case worker will be allocated to the application and we wont be provide anything further.

i have not heard back since and we didnt have anything else to provide as we provided a everything already.

does someone know how long visa takes after this email? It was priority so was meant to come by 6th november but it hasnt and ukvi escalated but that wasnt helpful either. I am so confused on what to do now as we paid for the service which we didnt receive and no one can advise anything either.

Please can someone help me ASAP regarding the documentation needed for the uk spouse visa. I'm reading that if it is not submitted in the correct format then it is likely to be refused. Would anyone advise that I attach a small cover letter with each section. Also, my salary has gone up recently so my past wage slips do not reflect the new salary in my letter of employment - so I think I should attach a letter explaining this? Do I need to submit bills that are address to both of us or is it good enough that my husband is on one of the bill letters. Please email me if it is easier as I find I never get a notification from a response

many thanks

@Cynic

Hi, sorry but i can not make a new post about my query. Have a clarification issue and just out of confusion: My SV expires Dec 2021. Applied and submit my application on January 13, 2022. Received my BRP June 6, 2022 and expires December 2024. Question: I can apply for ILR on July 2024 (thats my 5 yrs of living in the Uk) and not to wait for Dec date expiration of my card. Correct? Its because I will be overstaying for 5 mos if I waited till Dec. The decision was delayed since covid but it doesn't mean we will also adjust 5 mos before we apply for visa. Right? Thank you very much and hope I will get a straighforward answer to clear this matter. This forum is very helpful

@Cynic
Hi, sorry but i can not make a new post about my query. Have a clarification issue and just out of confusion: My SV expires Dec 2021. Applied and submit my application on January 13, 2022. Received my BRP June 6, 2022 and expires December 2024. Question: I can apply for ILR on July 2024 (thats my 5 yrs of living in the Uk) and not to wait for Dec date expiration of my card. Correct? Its because I will be overstaying for 5 mos if I waited till Dec. The decision was delayed since covid but it doesn't mean we will also adjust 5 mos before we apply for visa. Right? Thank you very much and hope I will get a straighforward answer to clear this matter. This forum is very helpful
-@DJsam

If you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence on a certain date, then you can apply on any date (July 2024) after that milestone, provided you meet all the requirements extant at that time.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

All,

Getting application finalized to submit for a spouse visa. We live in the US, I am a British Citizen, we are moving, and applying for my husband.

It appears we now upload all documentation online and do not send originals. We'd really like this to be the case and my husband be able to keep his passport. Does anyone know if he can in fact keep his passport now?

Thanks!

@Dancinella you have pay an extra fee and request this when booking your biometrics appointment.

@javbaybie the priority service is suspended for spouse visas so it should take 6 months rather than 5 days that you get on priority service.

@jodiehartley21 I think you should be fine to submit the 6 months of wage slips and the employment letters. And I just wrote one cover letter and highlighted in each section that I'll be attaching each evidence

@Tobygenborg yes you can

I over stayed in the Uk for 4 months and that was last 2011. Now its 2023 and been 12 years passed and Im planning to apply for Spouse visa because my husband lived in Uk for 15 yrs now as settled person living in the Uk coz he is under EEA citizenship. Is it possible to apply for spouse Visa ?? even though I have record of overstaying but returned back to my country on my own.. Not through deportation..

@Rico20

Hi when you send bank statements, do they require the full statement for the month, or just the page highlighting your salary?

Kind regards Dean

@deanmartin2040

it will need to be the full bank statement

@Rico20

Do they not require stamps from the bank ? For the 6 statements

Regards Dean

@nafeesaditta

And stamped?

Or just pdf that I can download?

Regards

Dean

@deanmartin2040

just pdf to download

Hi all,
Please how could someone prove relationship when the live in different countries when applying for UK spouse visa?

Thanks
-@rtchema

Welcome,

They want a history of emails & letters between each other, also photos together.

@deanmartin2040

not stamped just downloaded is sufficient enough

@jodiehartley21 Hello there,

I understand your concerns about the documentation required for the UK spouse visa, and I'm happy to offer some guidance on this matter. It's crucial to provide all the necessary documents in the correct format to avoid any complications in the application process.

Regarding your question about attaching a cover letter with each section, it's a good practice to include a brief cover letter for each category of documents you submit. This cover letter can summarize the documents in that section and explain their relevance to your application. It helps the immigration officer quickly understand the contents of your submission.

As for the recent increase in your salary, including a letter explaining this change is a wise decision. Clarify the salary increase, provide details about your new position or role, and how it aligns with your current employment. This helps demonstrate your financial stability and ability to support your spouse.

Regarding the bills, if your husband's name is on one of the bill letters, it should be acceptable. However, for added assurance, you could provide a joint bill or a letter from the bill provider confirming your shared residence at the stated address. This helps establish your cohabitation, which is an essential aspect of the spouse visa application.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello

I hope you can help. is it correct that your required to have 62000 savings. i am married to a Moroccan and will be applying for a spouse visa. i am british citizen with a full time job earning over 18600. i appreciate your feedback

thank you

@anas016

Hello

I hope you can help. is it correct that your required to have 62000 savings. i am married to a Moroccan and will be applying for a spouse visa. i am british citizen with a full time job earning over 18600. i appreciate your feedback

thank you

Hello
thank you

-@E J C95

Hi again.

The 62000 in savings is a requirement for those who do not have a job in the UK with a work contract earning more than 18600.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi, rather confused. If anyone can help, so im a british citizen and will apply for a spouse visa appication, i cant get my head around, i want to obviously sponsor do i make the application from the UK or does my partner from overseas? i cant even understand the basics haha

Hi, rather confused. If anyone can help, so im a british citizen and will apply for a spouse visa appication, i cant get my head around, i want to obviously sponsor do i make the application from the UK or does my partner from overseas? i cant even understand the basics haha

-@Rizwandirect

Your partner applies online; this link will take you to the UK Gov website which takes you through the process.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Rizwandirect

you can do it from here ,  I hope you earn more than £38,000 a year because from April 2024 sponsor annual income has changed from &18,000 plus to £38,000 plus

Good luck